New member and mum to new diagnosed T1 daughter

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What a relief to find you all.
Last week my 11 year old daughter was in intensive care with DKA this week we are adjusting to a life we didnt know existed!
We've conquered her doing her own blood tests and yesterday a breakthrough that she did her insulin herself :)
A complex mixture on emotions but reading your stories helps a lot..
Thank you

Reactions: 8 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey welcome to the forum it will get easier, maybe see if she would be interested in a pump as it's alot easier for kids in the uk to get then being a adult. I'm not saying to go on it straight away but research insulin pumps and have a think about it.

Before you start on a pump is she on basil/bolus doses or just one pen mixdose?
Have they suggested for you to carb count?

good luck on your journey things become alot easier later on :D

Reactions: 2 people

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We aren't counting carbs yet, think that's on the agenda next week.
She's on b/bolus we've discussed the pump, as funding stops at 12 we will need to make a decision sooner rather than later.
Just so much to think about!
I hope things calm down soon I feel completely anxious - but know I can't wrap her in cotton wool however much I would like to..
Thank you

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We aren't counting carbs yet, think that's on the agenda next week.
She's on b/bolus we've discussed the pump, as funding stops at 12 we will need to make a decision sooner rather than later.
Just so much to think about!
I hope things calm down soon I feel completely anxious - but know I can't wrap her in cotton wool however much I would like to..
Thank you
are you from the uk? funding never stops, it's just alot harder to get when older :D yes a lot of discussion makings and things to take in but i would suggest start carb counting then decide on if u think a pump would suit her best reserach it and research carb counting too :)

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes we live in Northants. Our diabetic team have told us that she won't be funded once 12 so feel a bit of pressure, to be honest feel a bit let down by the lack of support but maybe that's just me .
Have huge voids but am making progress slowly!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi please do rummage around on the forum .
Write down any questions you wish - to ask the team up at your hospital maybe .

Ask us any questions here too .
Many lovely members will come along to help and support you .
It is a long journey of up's and downs to learn gradually .
A quite curved ball journey to learn too .
We totally understand this and it does take some time to grasp it all .
Take all the time you need and know we are here for you 'both' . :)

Vist our parents and childrens sub forum for help, chats , advice/support .
Knowing others are standing in similar shoes to yourselves - does help enormously .
You wont feel as helpless nor so isolated .

Do let us know how things progress - we would love to know .

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Nutty72
welcome to the forum:)
i can imagine that you are going through the wringer right now.
your daughter will be ok and will adapt probably a lot quicker than you will.

the suggestions about pumping are a good place to start - your daughter is at the right age to grasp the concept and adapt to it very quickly which will give her a long term bonus in terms of overall control.

main thing is to try and take thing 1 day at a time and DEFFO dont beat yourself up about this or feel too guilty.
I know this is a hard ask but concentrating on now and what you can do looking forward will be the best option

all the best !!

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
also ask to do the DAFNE Course together as it's wonderful course and you will learn so much on it :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Nutty72, you must be so proud of your daughter doing her own bg tests and injections in the space of a week, here's hoping her good progress continues.

Reactions: 4 people

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Uber proud, considering she was. needle phobic before last week we have come on leaps and bounds

Reactions: 4 people

lely

Yes we live in Northants. Our diabetic team have told us that she won't be funded once 12 so feel a bit of pressure, to be honest feel a bit let down by the lack of support but maybe that's just me .
Have huge voids but am making progress slowly!
I've been diabetic for 9 years and only just got a pump, it had been suggested to me but I couldn't see it fitting my life, however 3 weeks in and I feel confident this is going to work once I get past all the initial hurdles. My experience with my diabetes team was the more pro active I am the more help I've been given. I've had the best care in the last 18 months than ever before and I think that's to do with me wanting to know more and asking more questions and demanding more explanations. I have had more appointments because I've requested them. Thus giving me so much more confidence to manage this with a better perspective.
As the saying goes 'knowledge is power' arm yourself with all info available. Although it's a lot to take in its amazing how quickly you all will adapt.
Good luck with it all.

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum! I just commented on your daughters post, but want to say hi to you as well, you sound like you are dealing with this so well and adjusting day by day. The support of a parent is invaluable and you are showing great support to your daughter. We're all here for both of you though as this must be extremely hard for yourself also. I'm getting a bit emotional now for some reason! On that note, welcome and feel free to message anytime. I was also diagnosed on the 18th, so it's all new to me too. xxx

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@lizziewizzie Thank you for such lovely words, we won't be beaten just so much to learn and I want to know it all yesterday, I hope you are doing well and with you a happy and healthy New Year x