Hba1c and conceiving...

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 83869

Sooo....probably bit of a stupid question but why does having a high hba1c make it so hard to conceive?? Im not trying to conceive but before i knew what my hba1c was 83 we was trying but then found out my hba1c was that high we stopped, im just curious! :) x

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not a case of it being hard to conceive but there is a danger to the baby if the mother has a high HbA1c.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
How long were you trying for?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning sweetheart ;)

( I'll grab my phone in a bit and text you :wacky: )

Having a higher hba1c doesn't make it harder to conceive it's just not good for baby . Here's a few reasons why

• not developing normally and having congenital abnormalities – particularly heart and nervous system abnormalities
  • being stillborn or dying soon after birth
  • having health problems shortly after birth (such as heart and breathing problems) and needing hospital care
  • developing obesity or diabetes later in life
We get told all this at pre conception , it's important to have tight control at the start of pregnancy and all the way through .
Also is very important for the first 8 weeks as that's when baby starts to develop everything for later life . But is just as important for the rest of the journey too .
It's such strict targets but they obviously give you them for a reason , is hard when you want a baby and your hba1c is high but it's worth waiting like you know for a better outcome . Yes others have had healthy baby's on higher hba1c . But is best to have it lower .

xxx

Reactions: 4 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Morning sweetheart ;)

( I'll grab my phone in a bit and text you :wacky: )

Having a higher hba1c doesn't make it harder to conceive it's just not good for baby . Here's a few reasons why

• not developing normally and having congenital abnormalities – particularly heart and nervous system abnormalities
  • being stillborn or dying soon after birth
  • having health problems shortly after birth (such as heart and breathing problems) and needing hospital care
  • developing obesity or diabetes later in life
We get told all this at pre conception , it's important to have tight control at the start of pregnancy and all the way through .
Also is very important for the first 8 weeks as that's when baby starts to develop everything for later life . But is just as important for the rest of the journey too .
It's such strict targets but they obviously give you them for a reason , is hard when you want a baby and your hba1c is high but it's worth waiting like you know for a better outcome . Yes others have had healthy baby's on higher hba1c . But is best to have it lower .

xxx
Goood morninnngg, got your text

I know im just curious and as you know constantly worrying lol! What is the ideal hba1c for baby??? Xxx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You a worrier ? don't be silly. :eek: Lol .

I was advised by my team under 7% , don't know what that is in the new way though.

xxx

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

You a worrier ? don't be silly. :eek: Lol .

I was advised by my team under 7% , don't know what that is in the new way though.

xxx
LOL You know me too well girl ermn it's roughly 50 so 8 off from what my poxy hba1c was a year ago.... xxx

Violet22

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
My RE and DE wanted me under 6, but would have taken 6.5. Luckily, my test came back this week at 5.9, so I got the all clear. And I fully expect my A1C to be even lower next month. Some REs want you to be under 7 at the very least. If I were you, I'd wait until you are at least that. I know it kind of sucks. I'm older than dirt, so believe me, waiting was not something I wanted to do!

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My endo says she will take under 7, having it done on Monday, last one was 7.5% so hoping i can just improve that tiny bit and get the go ahead!

Bizzy-Bee

I'm going through the same right now. Mine was 7.5 so I'm desperately trying to reduce it but it's not easy. I just don't want to wait anymore as I'm in my 30s and have been waiting for so long already!

Reactions: 2 people

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. I am 30 and really want to start trying for a baby next year. How long has it taken you to tighten your control? I feel I have come a long way in the last 3 years, doing the BERTIE course and going on a pump but scared how much more I need to achieve.

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Amy.W, i guess it all depends what you hb is start with, i started with 8.9% earlier on in March and i am now at 7.1% (getting there slowly). I guess it also depends if you have a pump etc (which i dont but am considering atm) but i have heard of people getting a good result in just a couple of months, good luck, let us know how it goes x

courtenayjane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sort of related question - how often did you get your Hba1c checked once you were pregnant? I had mine done on the day I found out I was pregnant (4weeks) but not again since and I am now 12 weeks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my HbA1C checked at my first appointment, then every four weeks throughout pregnancy. My HbA1C was good before I conceived and got slightly better during pregnancy.

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sort of related question - how often did you get your Hba1c checked once you were pregnant? I had mine done on the day I found out I was pregnant (4weeks) but not again since and I am now 12 weeks.

I had mine done right after finding out I was pregnant, then I believe it was around 12 weeks, and then 16, 20, 24, 28. It doesn't sound like anyone else had this experience but my doctor doesn't do them past 28 weeks because she finds they're not a reliable measurement at that point. I've been more stable the last 3 weeks than I expected so I think even if she did them, I'd still have pretty good numbers, but I have to admit it took some of the pressure off for a while.

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone have experience of getting a cgm? How did you do it? How much did it cost? Would you recommend utterly?

Lozj82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just ordered the freestyle libre (just waiting for it to be delivered). You just sign up for this 1 by email and it is self funded but afraid i have no idea about applying for an NHS funded CGM.

The libre cost about £130 for the machine and 2 sensors and then £100 a month for the sensors after that

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: