How old were you when you first diagnosed with type 1?? And how long do you have it??

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
I thought that should be a great idea to share our experiences;)

I got diagnosed by 21 and have it now for 6 weeks, but my doc told me he never had a patient that handled it so well:D
7 have it for 42 years.

Reactions: 2 people

kittywolf85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought that should be a great idea to share our experiences;)

I got diagnosed by 21 and have it now for 6 weeks, but my doc told me he never had a patient that handled it so well:D

I was 17. and i'm 29 now - so 12 years.
I was actally "lucky". I was on my way to do the first step in the army draft process (1) and while you do this - you pee in a cup. they test for stuff like drugs but also for sugar. and then they sent my to my pediatrician to find out what's that all about. first lab blood test was 288. my dad tested my sugar at home as well (type 2 for 5-6 years at that point) - and it was like 400.
the other lab blood test was 304 - and now I also had some ketones. I was sent to the e.r. immediately. :p

It was the end of august, and school started on the first of September which i missed - the first day of my last year of high school.....

(1) Army service is mandatory in Israel after high school.

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
I was 17. and i'm 29 now - so 12 years.
I was actally "lucky". I was on my way to do the first step in the army draft process (1) and while you do this - you pee in a cup. they test for stuff like drugs but also for sugar. and then they sent my to my pediatrician to find out what's that all about. first lab blood test was 288. my dad tested my sugar at home as well (type 2 for 5-6 years at that point) - and it was like 400.
the other lab blood test was 304 - and now I also had some ketones. I was sent to the e.r. immediately. :p

It was the end of august, and school started on the first of September which i missed - the first day of my last year of high school.....

(1) Army service is mandatory in Israel after high school.
Glad to hear that you have it 'under control' - now
So the army that's just people in Khaki telling you what to do, instead of people in white coats eh?

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting reading everyone's answers Great participation i was 4 years old, and that was 53 years ago.
Best Regards
To ALL.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was 62 when diagnosed im now 65 type1 on novorapid and lantus insulin

kittywolf85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear that you have it 'under control' - now
So the army that's just people in Khaki telling you what to do, instead of people in white coats eh?

I actually did go into the army in the end. :)
I did my 2 years with the IDF spokesprosen.
In Israel There's a lot that stems from doing army service....

AndyOD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs
Great that u get to serve our lot won't even consider us viable

hazelharris

I've just joined this forum as my husband is type 1. This is an interesting thread and it seems that he has had type 1 more years than anyone else who has posted here. He was diagnosed at the age of 7 (nearly 8) and he will be 79 tomorrow.

Reactions: 12 people

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I was 3 years old in March 1972 when I was diagnosed. Am now 47 and will have been Type 1 for 44 years in March 2016. On Novorapid and Tresiba pens. I use DAFNE - was the best course I have ever done!!! Was a glass syringe and Urine tests ( Clinitest) when I was diagnosed!!! No blood sugar meters then!!!

Reactions: 4 people

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed last week, type 1, aged 28, the nurses assumed I'd had it years when they came round with the insulin! I got one to show me and another to supervise lol

norwaycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who make a big deal out of beIng a diabetic
I've been a diabetic 53 years I got diagnosed with it when I was 7. Spent my birthday in hospital
Had a few heart problems but still working and certainly very active.

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 16. 11 years ago. Diagnosed two weeks after I was diagnosed with arthritis. Let's just say at 16 life is difficult, this made it harder but made me stronger.

Reactions: 6 people

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Diagnosed 3 months ago aged 64, Initially treated for type 2, no effect so decided I was type 1 . Big shock but am copping well thanks to you guys.

Andy-Sev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also diagnosed 3 months ago, a couple of weeks before my 43rd birthday. I wasn't surprised to be told I had diabetes but stunned when they told me it was Type 1, but doing okay with it at the mo.

jacksop87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed 18th December 2015. So two weeks on Friday. Type 1. Blood sugars have come down from 21.9 to 6.5. Also have a phobia of needles and a mild addiction to red bull so you can imagine how enthusiastic I was at the diagnosis!

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed 18th December 2015. So two weeks on Friday. Type 1. Blood sugars have come down from 21.9 to 6.5. Also have a phobia of needles and a mild addiction to red bull so you can imagine how enthusiastic I was at the diagnosis!
sugar free red bull and the needles become second nature. i have a fear of other people giving me needles though.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I was 2.5 ish years old and had it 43 year, give or take a month or so