Diabetic friendly treats

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic, I'm just looking for some good suggestions on any "treats" I could have that won't be too harmful-a few biscuits to have with tea, some sweets or chocolate that isn't that bad (if at all possible!!) I don't have a sweet tooth normally but it's all I can think about since I got my diagnosis!! Lol, I had DKA over Xmas, how I learned I was diabetic, got myself in quite a mess. I'm being VERY strict, eating extremely low carbs atm, as I'm clueless and waiting to talk to a professional. I've basically tried to just cut them out until my levels can be maintained-just want something to look forward to really!!

Reactions: 4 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I know exactly what you mean, when I was diagnosed a year ago after having 50 years of eating what ever I wanted I felt really bad thinking I could not eat certain things. I soon found out I could eat those things but in moderation, eating one biscuit instead of the packet

If you are carb counting and on shorting acting insulin , then including a treat at the end of a meal is a technique. If you like dark chocolate , 75%+,this typically has a lowish carb count.
I like belvita biscuits, they are slow releasing carbs and 1 biscuit is about 10g.

Alternatively you could have a lettus leaf !

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Once you're controlled and are counting carbs, there's no reason why you can't have moderate amounts of treat items. Eg I had a chocolate digestive with my coffee and had an appropriate amount of insulin. I also have desserts sometimes. I'm a bit of a chocoholic so I eat that too, but, again, not big quantities in one go.

I also sometimes eat sweet things before or during exercise.

I think it's normal to think about sweet things when you're first diagnosed. I had an extremely vivid dream about treacle tart : D

Don't worry - you will be able to have some treats if you choose to once you get a handle on this :)

Reactions: 4 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are up for baking, go to my blog www.diabeticgoodbaking.com
I do low carb baking
As for normal treats (non diabetic ones) I have them sometimes but in moderation. If you inject ahead you can avoid a big spike. I also go for something like cheesecake or brownie made with almonds (in costa there is one) instead of cakes with sugary frosting or jam. Making your own, sugar free, is definitely the best though

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks everyone! I'm thinking I will give baking a go again, I'm a fairly decent cook but burn anything when I try baking-incentive to get better now I think!

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Following- I LOVE chocolate #diabeticproblems
Like you I craved chocolate the minute I was diagnosed!