Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The following extract is taken from this page
http://www.healthline.com/health/coq10-and-statins#Statins4

Where Statins and CoQ10 Meet
Although muscle pain and discomfort is common when taking statins, some people experience more serious problems, including something known as rhabdomyolysis. This process occurs when muscle cells break down. As muscles collapse, a muscle protein is released into the bloodstream. This in turn can cause severe kidney problems.

In a study published in the American Journal of Cardiology, researchers indicate that coenzyme Q10 seems to decrease muscle breakdown and reduce pain and discomfort on people taking statins.

Keep in Mind
Because CoQ10 is considered a nutritional supplement and not a medication, it’s not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. That means anybody can buy the supplement over the counter, at a local pharmacy, or at a health food store.

Coenzyme Q10 has few side effects. The most common is stomach upset, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. CoQ10 can lower blood sugar, so diabetics need to be careful or avoid it.

CoQ10 can interact with some medications, including beta-blockers, some antidepressants, and chemotherapy drugs. You might need to change the amount of statins you take if you’re also taking CoQ10. Make sure you consult your doctor before beginning CoQ10.

The Last Word
Although CoQ10 seems to show much promise, there aren’t enough studies to confirm its effectiveness. If you are taking statins and are suffering unpleasant side effects, discuss the use of CoQ10 with your doctor. It might be a good option for you, especially if you are in good health.

I have read elsewhere, that when statins were first produced, it was suggested that CoQ10 was combined in the same tablet - because it had already been identified that the Q10 reduced the side effects from statins. However, this was considered too expensive, and the statins went into production without the Q10.

I speculate that supplementing with CoQ10 may help with recovering from statin damage - but that is personal speculation.
Yes, when I asked my Dr about Q10 he just said it was rubbish .. Not to waste my money .. I did try it later on but it made no difference to me..but I think I had been taking the statin for to long for any real effect to take place ... It was only after stopping taking the statin for about three months did my pain start to reduce ... But if any one is just starting out with statin I would say its worth taking the Q10 with them.... Sadly my son who has just started statins will not listen to anyone other than his dr who says Q10 is going to do nothing. He's not doing to well on them...

Reactions: 2 people

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
This is a posting I made earlier this month.

I started on Simvastatin 10mg soon after diagnosis, achieving a cholesterol level of 3.6 and very soon followed by multiple adverse reactions including tendon tears, muscle wasting, weakness, peripheral neuropathy and loss of joint position sense, plus numerous others. Stopping them led to a slow recovery, possibly helped by self-medication with Ubiquinol. My tests off statins have been in the low 4's. Around 25% of subjects are very statin-sensitive.
Statins are moderately effective in protection not because of their cholesterol lowering properties, but because of their anti-inflammatory effect. There is no need to promote ultra-low cholesterol levels, I believe, and minimal doses will do the job in those who need it.
I think the majority of the medical profession are still hoodwinked by Pharmaceutical companies, who cherry pick the favourable data and it will be some time before the profession realises that cholesterol is not the culprit !

I think there are people who need statins, but these are the ones with established CHD. My approach is to maintain a generous intake of Omega-3 fish oils instead.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
Osidge, I'm not impressed. I stand by my final paragraph in my quote! I used to be a clinician and I was taken in by the flow.
Try: http://www.spacedoc.com/
He's one doctor who has rejected the cholesterol - CHD myth too.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I have two unopened boxes of them .... so thanks for reminding me so I can now go search for the petrol and a match.

Reactions: 7 people

mausiemoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Despite having side effects, painful cramp in legs, with a first statin. I was persuaded by my GP to try a second statin last year because she said my T2 put me a increased risk of stroke. After a few months I noticed feeling weak in upper arm and thigh muscles and this increased. I stopped the statin at Xmas and have deteriorated since to the extent that I can hardly make it upstairs, can't lift my arms above shoulders and find everyday things a huge effort and very slow. After extensive investigations for myositis it turns out all the damage has been caused by the statin. Because myositis was a strong contender I was put on high does steroid and this has sent BG levels haywire! I am not yet recovering, in fact it is still getting worse nearly 3 months after stopping the statin and because of the steroid, which is to be reduced slowly over the next 6 or 7 weeks I am struggling to control BG and feeling bad effects of that too.
Has this happened to anyone else? What was the outcome?
Yes the same thing has happened to me. After being on Crestor for 14 months I got horrific pains through my whole body, couldn't do anything at all and the pain was unbearable. I have now been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia Rheumatica and put onto steroids which have sent my BG levels skyhigh, to a point where I have had to go on insulin. I'm hoping I will have some relief from it all by the end of 2016 but who knows. I blame the statins for everything that has happened to me, it has changed my life completely.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Websites, especially where the words "most" and "major" are employed should be anyone's first warning. If you're dehydrated, drink water, if you're hungry, then eat. Obvious. Statins for cholesterol?

Duane Graveline (IMO) is absolutely correct.

Evelynross

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because of heart problems I my family and my cholesterol being 5.2 I was given statins to take, too much horror stories so I didn't. Hope my cholesterol goes down but if it doesn't I'm still not taking statins

Barbara47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tried 3 or 4 different statins and each time had to stop taking them as the pain in my muscles and joints got worse. I, by chance, found an interesting website which talked of cholesterol NOT being the culprit with regard to heart attacks, etc., that it is 'big pharma' who are pushing the drugs as statins are worldwide the biggest 'money spinner' of all time. If you go to the following website you can read one of Dr. Kendrick's many blogs on the subject, this one being about how much longer you might live if you did take statins. A real eye opener!....

http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/10/27/how-much-longer-will-you-live-if-you-take-a-statin/

By the way, Dr. Kendrick wrote an interesting book called "The Great Cholesterol Con" which, if you read it, will cause you to question, in general, what pharmaceutical companies say about their 'wonderful' products.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Wow what a scary thread, I am taking atorvastatin every night. No side effects yet but am getting worried after reading all the posts

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
when my granddaughter who is a doctor heard I was on statins she advised me to take enzyme q 10 ..

Brian109

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, judgemental people
My medication for my diabetes and cholesterol.
1.aspirin 75 mg 1 daily. Dispersal.
2.Atorvastatin 20MG 1 daily.
3.benzofibrate 400 mg 1 daily modified release.
4.Gliclazide 80 mg 1 3 times a day.
5.metformin 500 mg 1 4 times daily.
6.ibuprofen 200 mg 1 3 times daily for pain relief.
7.Sitagliptin 50 mg tablets 1 daily.
8.tamsulosin 400 micrograms 1 daily modified release capsules.
9.Sertraline 100 mg 1 daily to treat the depression this lot causes me.
Been on this lot since 2013 after being diagnosed with type 2 and my doctor says I, very got muscle disease so why the statins? Lately I struggle to raise my right arm over my head and it aches in bed also long walks are out of the question as my calf muscles ache and throb and when trying to cycle any distance,
Since 2013 I've also had an hernia appear between my breastplate then stretching my stomach as in pushing my belly button out.
Then February 2015 I started to pee blood waited till November for a flexible cystoscopy and biopsy then December 22nd a rigid cystoscopy and biopsy causing me to loose control of my bladder do I have muscle wastage thier ? Too.the continence nurse said you must do pelvic floor exercises tried that made my incontinence worse she then told me to grow up as doing the exercises will help no matter how much I protested got another appointment the 4th Jan different nurse costing me a fortune in incontinence pants 4 to 5 accidents a day so could the statins be affecting me down below as well.
As a type 2 diabetic my doctor says I don't need to test my blood sugars but while having the last cystoscopy my blood sugars went as high as 19.4 the ward nurse wasn't very amused and asked why don't I test myself as she reckons I should after the reading I gave in the morning it had dropped to 8.2 I think.
Regards for any info brian.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@Brian109

Wouldn't know where to start with all that but wishing you the best. :)

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
My medication for my diabetes and cholesterol.
1.aspirin 75 mg 1 daily. Dispersal.
2.Atorvastatin 20MG 1 daily.
3.benzofibrate 400 mg 1 daily modified release.
4.Gliclazide 80 mg 1 3 times a day.
5.metformin 500 mg 1 4 times daily.
6.ibuprofen 200 mg 1 3 times daily for pain relief.
7.Sitagliptin 50 mg tablets 1 daily.
8.tamsulosin 400 micrograms 1 daily modified release capsules.
9.Sertraline 100 mg 1 daily to treat the depression this lot causes me.
Been on this lot since 2013 after being diagnosed with type 2 and my doctor says I, very got muscle disease so why the statins? Lately I struggle to raise my right arm over my head and it aches in bed also long walks are out of the question as my calf muscles ache and throb and when trying to cycle any distance,
Since 2013 I've also had an hernia appear between my breastplate then stretching my stomach as in pushing my belly button out.
Then February 2015 I started to pee blood waited till November for a flexible cystoscopy and biopsy then December 22nd a rigid cystoscopy and biopsy causing me to loose control of my bladder do I have muscle wastage thier ? Too.the continence nurse said you must do pelvic floor exercises tried that made my incontinence worse she then told me to grow up as doing the exercises will help no matter how much I protested got another appointment the 4th Jan different nurse costing me a fortune in incontinence pants 4 to 5 accidents a day so could the statins be affecting me down below as well.
As a type 2 diabetic my doctor says I don't need to test my blood sugars but while having the last cystoscopy my blood sugars went as high as 19.4 the ward nurse wasn't very amused and asked why don't I test myself as she reckons I should after the reading I gave in the morning it had dropped to 8.2 I think.
Regards for any info brian.

Hi Brian. Maybe break this little lot down into smaller bits to start with?

Accordingly, one of the meds you are taking is for prostate trouble, although I'm not a doctor, I do know that prostate issues cause urination problems. If you had the cystoscopy recently, that could also have inflamed the bladder temporarily, making it worse. Your doc will really need to advise you on this, but I think you should go back - incontinence isn't something that can just be dismissed. On that topic, there is such a thing as a continence nurse, and you may be able to get pants etc, on prescription. Ask doc for a referral.

I think most of us would advise that you do check your own blood sugars. It is very common for type 2's to be told not to test for all manner of reasons, but what it really boils down to is the cost of test strips is expensive. Many of us here use a meter called the SD Codefree, it has the cheapest strips and is very simple to use - look on Amazon.

Lastly - your diet. Again, the "healthy" diet many are told to eat (brown bread, low fat spread, brown rice, porridge etc) actually causes the blood sugars to rise. All carbohydrates turn to glucose in the blood so the more you can reduce them, the better it would be. The best way of finding out what you can eat without it spiking your levels is to test yourself, before and two hours after meals is a good guide to start with.

Hope this helps a bit:)

Reactions: 3 people

Brian109

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Brian. Maybe break this little lot down into smaller bits to start with?

Accordingly, one of the meds you are taking is for prostate trouble, although I'm not a doctor, I do know that prostate issues cause urination problems. If you had the cystoscopy recently, that could also have inflamed the bladder temporarily, making it worse. Your doc will really need to advise you on this, but I think you should go back - incontinence isn't something that can just be dismissed. On that topic, there is such a thing as a continence nurse, and you may be able to get pants etc, on prescription. Ask doc for a referral.

I think most of us would advise that you do check your own blood sugars. It is very common for type 2's to be told not to test for all manner of reasons, but what it really boils down to is the cost of test strips is expensive. Many of us here use a meter called the SD Codefree, it has the cheapest strips and is very simple to use - look on Amazon.

Lastly - your diet. Again, the "healthy" diet many are told to eat (brown bread, low fat spread, brown rice, porridge etc) actually causes the blood sugars to rise. All carbohydrates turn to glucose in the blood so the more you can reduce them, the better it would be. The best way of finding out what you can eat without it spiking your levels is to test yourself, before and two hours after meals is a good guide to start with.

Hope this helps a bit:)
Thanks a lot ladybird for the info much appreciated

Brian109

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going to the doctors again tomorrow to see if I can get a referal onto a Desmond course

Amanda61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going to the doctors again tomorrow to see if I can get a referal onto a Desmond course
I used to be on 20mg Atorvastatin. Had a similar problem as I got
terrible pains in my legs, Got it reduced to 10mg and was so much better.