Is this unusual or are there others like this?

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there, my other half is the diabetic in our house, he was diagnosed type 2 just over 3 years ago and at the time was just under 11 stones. We found out purely by accident thanks to a medical for something else, he ate a healthy diet and was physically active so it was a shock. No other members of his family have it.
Moving on to now, he eats a very strict diet, no meat but plenty of fish, nuts, pulses and veggies. He's replaced milk with coconut milk except for one cup of coffee daily that's made with cows milk.

His fasting BG level today was 11.2‼️

If it gets down to 8 at any time it's a celebration, there have been been occasions when it's been as high as 34.3. It's a nightmare, and to add to the nightmare he's losing weight as if it's a competition and is n'a now under 9 stones. Gliclazide doesn't seem to have any effect.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

The fact he is losing weight and his BS is getting worse would suggest there is a possibility he could be a Type 1.5 (late onset type 1) and may need to be on insulin. I suggest he hotfoots it to his GP, tells the story, and asks for the relevant tests to either confirm or rule it out. Hopefully one of the members with Type 1.5 will come along and answer you, but for now, that is my suggestion, although I am no expert.

Reactions: 5 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree with above, classic type 1.5 signs,so would also suggest seeing a gp asap.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the other posters. Those are all classic T1.5 symptoms which I went thru. The fact that the Gliclazide is not working suggests he no longer has adequate insulin production and will need to go on to insulin. If the GP/DN don't get it, he should ask for a c-peptide test (for insulin level) and GAD for (pancreatic anti-bodies) and point out the weight loss. Some GPs think T1 can only occur at a very young age which is incorrect, so be prepared to be assertive if necessary.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another vote for more tests!

Good luck.

If the doc is resistant, then I suggest he asks for a referral to the nearest Diabetic Clinic. Sometimes docs think they know everything there is to know about D when they really, really don't. So please don't let the doc fob him off.

Reactions: 5 people

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, we tried stopping the gliclazide, to see if it went up or not but it made no difference. With or without it his levels skyrocket. Even the tiniest amount of complex carbs is enough to make it sky high, even in the middle of a day of gardening and dog walking.

I've never heard of type 1.5 so will swat up so we can visit the Dr well armed

Thanks again!

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, get to the doctor ASAP. I agree with the other posters. This doesn't sound like Type 2.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, we tried stopping the gliclazide, to see if it went up or not but it made no difference. With or without it his levels skyrocket. Even the tiniest amount of complex carbs is enough to make it sky high, even in the middle of a day of gardening and dog walking.

I've never heard of type 1.5 so will swat up so we can visit the Dr well armed

Thanks again!
T1.5 is effectively T1 but occurring later in life. It is usually the result of islet cell destruction thru anti-body action hence the GAD test for the most common anti-bodies but there are many. There are also causes such as viruses, pancreatitis and so on. Childhood T1 normally has the same cause. The term LADA (Latent Autoimmune Disease in Adulthood) is also used. LADA can appear at varying rates and some people end up in A&E like my 22 year old nephew as it appears so fast and unexpected. Mine took several years to bite, but the early failure of full dose Gliclazide was a clue implying too few islet cells left to stimulate to produce enough insulin.

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
T1.5 is effectively T1 but occurring later in life. It is usually the result of islet cell destruction thru anti-body action hence the GAD test for the most common anti-bodies but there are many. There are also causes such as viruses, pancreatitis and so on. Childhood T1 normally has the same cause. The term LADA (Latent Autoimmune Disease in Adulthood) is also used. LADA can appear at varying rates and some people end up in A&E like my 22 year old nephew as it appears so fast and unexpected. Mine took several years to bite, but the early failure of full dose Gliclazide was a clue implying too few islet cells left to stimulate to produce enough insulin.

Another autoimmune issue to add to our household! This one wasn't one I'd given any thought to (mind you, I hadn't given much thought to diabetes at all until his surprise diagnosis as he doesn't fit with the classic stereotypical symptoms). Trip to the Dr and more research me thinks

Thanks for the information Daibell and everyone else, it's much appreciated.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hey Diz, looks like this forum was the right shout - you got some good people giving advice to consider...a lot more specific than I would have been able to give. I hope things get clearer soon and the right approach changes things dramatically. the more info - the easier the control. Take care. Paul

Reactions: 2 people