Been told to stop testing blood sugar

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is this normal practice these days? I suspect it is a way for the practice to save money.

I recently had a full diabetic check-up and was told my diabetic nurse that I should stop testing my blood sugar as I am not at risk of a hypo because I am on metformin.

How the hell am I supposed to know how I am doing?

My levels have recently gone out of control also, and I intend knuckling down in the new year, so I think it's very important that I check.
When I used to have my diabetes well under control, I had many hypos but knew the signs and stopped them dead in their tracks.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Rubbish advice and we see that all too often. Ignore it, get a meter (if you don't already have one) and test often.

Your DN is ignorant. Wouldn't know the time of day if you ask me.

Reactions: 4 people

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will have a disagreement with her the next time I see her. I have a supply of needles and strips that will last me a couple of months, so no hurry.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Good man. Your life after all :)

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Another thing she does that annoys me is that she is using a way of showing what my sugar levels are by a method I know nothing about.
I am used to being told, 7.4, 8.3 etc, but she is using some other method and it means nothing to me so I have no idea how bad I am.
I did tell her that it means nothing to me and she just said something like "Well your reading is there and you should be down there".
I have no understanding of that method.

My local GP practice was closed because of poor service after being run by a private company. Now it is back being run by the NHS but with new staff and they have different ways of doing things.

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Ignore her completely, you need to self monitor, it's very important. It's hard sometimes, but you need to insist they convert their readings for you, or at least teach you how to, so you can get used to their way. Although I have no idea what way that could be. Is there anyway you could change GP's? x

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Ignore her completely, you need to self monitor, it's very important. It's hard sometimes, but you need to insist they convert their readings for you, or at least teach you how to, so you can get used to their way. Although I have no idea what way that could be. Is there anyway you could change GP's? x
I disagree.

The next time you meet with her, listen extremely carefully and take notes about exactly what she's saying.

If you ignore what she has to say, it becomes an argument between a patient and a medical professional, and people will side with the medical professional even if you're in the right. It's basically your word against hers.

However, if you listen to exactly what she has to say, it becomes an issue of whether or not this person is a qualified professional. Taking notes allows you to dispute facts rather than opinions which ultimately means you can prove her wrong.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to ask for a printout of your results, and then as well as having permanent record, you'll be able to see what units are being to record your tests. Our main diabetes.co.uk site has information about all the different units and also conversion tables, so you should be able to convert to the ones that you're used to seeing.

If they are not prepared (and many practices aren't - generally, as we probably all suspect - and I was more or less told by my GP - for financial reasons) that's up to them, but they can't stop you buying your own meter and strips to continue self testing. It's your diabetes and your choice in this case to manage it by opting to test - or not.

When you run out of strips, etc, look into buying yourself an SD Codefree meter, as the strips for this are much cheaper than most other brands, and many type 2s here who have to self-fund testing have chosen to buy these.

Robbity

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still think you should continue to monitor and ask her for an explanation of what she's telling you. I totally see what you mean about not going against them, but asking to be shown what they mean is not wrong. x