Low blood sugars of 2.4!!!!

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok so my blood sugars dropped down to 2.4 after my breakfast, I ended up needing a full pack and a half of dextrose tablets to get them up to 5, so I was wondering if there's anything that could be better to put blood sugars back up Iv tried fizzy pop n that but doesn't do anything to my sugars really!! Even when it's a minor hypo it still take a load of dextrose to get them up help?!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Tried Lucozade ? I always keep one handy, beside the bed, behind my monitor at work, in the car etc. When I need it, I am back where I needed to be in about 15 minutes.

Liquid is generally the best source - OJ works for some people as well.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Rather than looking at how to get back up, you might be better placed to try and consider how they went so low in the first place. There is clearly an issue with either amount of insulin or timing of bolus if you are seeing drops like that.

A lot of people use Lucozade, in answer to your question though.

Reactions: 4 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Glucojuice is the things that works fastest for me. It beats everything else hands down but it's not cheap, I also like that it comes in measured handy little bottles,

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What would your blood sugar normally be after breakfast? Can you pinpoint any reason why it should have dropped and needed a lot of glucose to correct?

Do you count carbs? Could you have miscalculated?

For very quick blood sugar raising, I find Lucozade best. It gets my blood sugar up fast. If I don't have that, I use regular (ie sugary) Coke or Pepsi.

lely

I too prefere luco if I'm having a low, but if I'm heading toward one, getting low with IOB I'll eat jelly babies. Fortunately I don't like them so I'll eat 4/5 and re test to see if I've leveled out. used to use haribos but that's just a hyper coming on coz I can't stop. Hate glucojuice it's like syrup.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As a stand-by I have those party-size Cans of coke, as others have said liquid glucose works fastest.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
How quickly do you expect it to come up? I find it takes around 30 mins snd sometimes longer depending on how low i've gone. The advice i was given was always wait 5 mins btwn hypo treatment and having some other food to stabilise and slightly longer if fatty. Remember that meters give a result about 20 mins behind actual bs so if you test again too quickly the result will probably be lower.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glucojuice is the things that works fastest for me. It beats everything else hands down but it's not cheap, I also like that it comes in measured handy little bottles,
you can get it free on prescription in the uk i think or is that the jel?
I use jelly babys though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I'd be surprised if you can get the GlucoJuice on prescription, but you get Glucogel on prescription, that's the one that comes in tubes and has a twist-off cap.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes the gel if free but not the little bottles. Some good deals now and again in Boots and other kind of health/fitness sites - sometimes they're half price. I'll be sure to post if I find they're reduced.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be surprised if you can get the GlucoJuice on prescription, but you get Glucogel on prescription, that's the one that comes in tubes and has a twist-off cap.
haha i don't know i have never used them lol, i wonder why we do

Don't jelly babies do the same as glucojel? :eek:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
haha i don't know i have never used them lol, i wonder why we do

Don't jelly babies do the same as glucojel? :eek:

The Glucogel tastes awful plus the tips break off far too easy and you end up with the gel all over your bag/pocket :rolleyes:

I'd imagine the gel would work quicker than JB's but by how much I'm unsure.

Reactions: 2 people

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Yes like as @noblehead said a party size can of none dirt Coke is good but only found them in asda and nowhere else dose anyone know where else to buy them

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes like as @noblehead said a party size can of none dirt Coke is good but only found them in asda and nowhere else dose anyone know where else to buy them

Morrison's also Tesco do the party-size tins too.

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What would your blood sugar normally be after breakfast? Can you pinpoint any reason why it should have dropped and needed a lot of glucose to correct?

Do you count carbs? Could you have miscalculated?

For very quick blood sugar raising, I find Lucozade best. It gets my blood sugar up fast. If I don't have that, I use regular (ie sugary) Coke or Pepsi.
After breakfast it's normally sitting about 6ish so good, and I have no clue why I need so much and nah I don't count carbs haven't been told anything about them yet and Iv tired full fat fizzy drinks before and it works a lot less and slower for me

Jacob_Buchan_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How quickly do you expect it to come up? I find it takes around 30 mins snd sometimes longer depending on how low i've gone. The advice i was given was always wait 5 mins btwn hypo treatment and having some other food to stabilise and slightly longer if fatty. Remember that meters give a result about 20 mins behind actual bs so if you test again too quickly the result will probably be lower.
Well once I have all those dextrose tablets I wait 15 minutes to have a few biscuits and then 30-50 minutes later I recheck as this is what I was told to do by my diabetic nurse

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After breakfast it's normally sitting about 6ish so good, and I have no clue why I need so much and nah I don't count carbs haven't been told anything about them yet and Iv tired full fat fizzy drinks before and it works a lot less and slower for me

@Jacob_Buchan_ You might want to speak to your team about the possibility of a carb-counting course then. If you don't 'match' the insulin to the amount of carbs you're eating, then it can be harder to get control, and that might make you more likely to have random lows (or highs).

Yes, some fizzy drinks don't work quickly. I found that out when I had to drink a normal supermarket can once instead of Lucozade. I think some of the cheaper ones have sweeteners aswell as sugar so aren't so suitable. That's why I stick to Lucozade or branded real Coke. I know they work and have glucose/sugar in in the proper quantities.

Do let your DSN know about your low. It must have been dropping quite fast to need all that glucose.