Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

dmhcaspian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see now.
New to forum. Must be something wrong with me: Can't see how anyone would be interested in the answers to any of the suggested question - and can't see the point of facebook or twitter either.
Anyway. FWIW.
Type 2. Diagnosed in 2005 - put on the usual set of drugs: Lipitor, Ramipril, Metformin.
Did my own research, persuaded the GP to let me come of statins, and later off the other two as well.
Am firmly convinced that there is mass over medication at present, and that statins are the King's New Clothes' of the day, in that most of the 'health' authorities refuse point blank to tell us what statins actually do: (In reducing the liver's output of the essential brain nutrient cholesterol, they also cut out some other quite important things as well. And that many of the reported side effects are not side effects at all but main effects.)

Then the 'targets for blood pressure are IMO too low.
Good grief we even get people now diagnosed as 'pre diabetic, and put on drugs when they're a bit over the middle of normal.
Two of the 'benefits outweighing the risks:'?
1) Under NIOCE guideline, 90% of people on statins are unlikely to see any benefits but are exposed to all the risks
2) Statins increase your risk of getting type 2 diabetes by over 40% (Just the job if you're given them because you're pre diabetic)

So there we are then. angry old man.
And wondering what the connection between statin use and the epidemic of diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello Nariman_ Welcome to the Forum. Feel free to ask questions as there are plenty of knowledgeable, friendly people on this site. And if you want to answer others questions - pleases do. Regards, Liam.

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? Lizzie
- How old are you? 28
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Birmingham
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Intuitive, loyal, loving
- Do you have any pets? None at the moment :(
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Oh no, no sports for me!
- Do you get angry easily? At the moment yes! But I'm newly diagnosed and running high.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Used to have piercings, but just tattoos now (3 - arm, shoulder, ribs)
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Queen, Beatles, Katie Melua, Lou Reed, David Bowie
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? I like so many!
- What is your favourite flag? Honestly never thought about it. I do love the UK flag though.
- Ever gone camping? I love camping! Many fun times had.. and not so fun!
- Ever been in love? I'm in love now, to an amazing man, who I love more and more everyday.
- Ever used fake tan? Yes, but I always go green, even when it's done professionally.
- Which countries have you visited? UK, Greece, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, France (lived there for a season)... I think that's all
- Favourite city? Hmm... not sure to be honest, I need to see more to decide.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Due to work, I haven't watched much the last 3 years, but I'd go with Family Guy, Secret Life of Children, Gogglebox and I just discovered Sherlock Holmes the other day since being off work!
- List your five favourite films. Coraline is my ultimate favourite, but I am a movie buff, so like far too many to list!
- Are you wealthy? No, but now I wont be drinking alcohol that may change!!
- Do you work? If so, as what? A paediatric nurse
- List the subjects you study/have studied. GCSE's and Nursing
- What do you like most about yourself? I am intuitive with peoples emotions, more than anyone I've met and I'm caring to all.
- What do you like least about yourself? Everything else... stupid depression!

Reactions: 3 people

Rogerclinton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Roger
- How old are you? 72
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which city/area do you live in? Canada
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. .?
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? None
- Do you get angry easily? Somewhat
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. .?
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag? Canada
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? To many to list
- Favourite city? London
- List your five favourite TV programmes. None
- List your five favourite films. None
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? No
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Agriculture
- What do you like most about yourself? Not much
- What do you like least about yourself? Not much

Have fun!

dookie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name? Andy
- How old are you? 54
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Brim
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Quiet introverted laid back
- Do you have any pets? A cat called Eve
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Walking football
- Do you get angry easily? Not too easily
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Non
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Anything metal
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock
- What is your favourite flag? Union Jack
- Ever gone camping? Yes loads but not now
- Ever been in love? Daily
- Ever used fake tan? Nope
- Which countries have you visited? France Spain Greece Germany Sweeden Belgium Croatia
- Favourite city? Barcelona
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Big Bang theory,news focus
- List your five favourite films. Restless natives. Amelie local hero all the presidents men tinker Taylor
- Are you wealthy? Nope
- Do you work? If so, as what? Engineer
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Engineering ones
- What do you like most about yourself? Not much
- What do you like least about yourself? Need to get my head from up my bum

Have fun!

Bobobo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I was diagnosed at the end of Aug / beginning of Sept 2015 which i had a health check at work. Showed a glucose level of 10.3 with 4 hours fasting, my cholesterol was 8, Blood pressure was slightly raised (he thought it was worse than what my GP did) and my BMI was 29.9. I booked an appointment with my GP and signed up to the gym. Had a fasting blood test (10.2), Hba1c (88) and cholesterol test (6) so the GP sent me to an education course (3 sessions with a diabetes nurse and a diabetes dietitian). I am not on any medication and since diagnosis i have reduced my Hba1c to 53 (2 months ago) and lost 3 stone (now a health bmi of 23. Got my first appointment with the diabetes team at the GP surgery in a couple of weeks so hopefully when they do my tests there will be more improvements.

Anyway, just a quick introduction.. I have included my answers below

- What is your name? Steve
- How old are you? 32
- Which city/area do you live in? Bournemouth
- Are you religious? Not at all
- Pick three words to describe your personality. all about family
- Do you have any pets? No
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? football & ice hockey mainly (Washington Capitals are the best sports team ever!)
- Do you get angry easily? Not really, only on certain topics which i feel strongly about.....
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? None
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. wow, far too many and changes a lot, but at the moment Il Divo, Lara Fabian, Linkin Park, Yo-Yo Ma & Oceanlab
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? I don't have one, i listen to most things apart from DnB, Rap & Garage types which i just don't get.
- What is your favourite flag? Alpha Flag (means 'I have a diver down, keep clear and slow') as it means i am scuba diving...:woot:
- Ever gone camping? yes, don't like it...:(
- Ever been in love? yes, managed to marry her as well :)
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? USA, France, Spain, Canary Islands, Balearic Islands, Cyprus, Greece, Egypt and a few more which i can't for the life of me remember.
- Favourite city? Don't have one
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Can't keep it to 5 so here is a short list....The West Wing, The Newsroom, Arrow, The Flash, The Rachel Maddow Show, The Last Word, Daily Show, Top Gear, Big Bang Theory, Wonders of the Solar System, Wonders of the Universe.
- List your five favourite films. Casablanca, Star Wars, A Few Good Men, The Zodiac & Divergent
- Are you wealthy? No, most certainly not...
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, Risk Consultant
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Just about to do a qualification in Risk Management but outside of work i read a lot about history, philosophy, theology & physics (makes me sound somewhat boring....:bookworm:
- What do you like most about yourself? Nothing in particular, pleased with what i have achieved since being diagnosed as i don't usually have the will power to do something like this.
- What do you like least about yourself? Nothing in particular.

Reactions: 6 people

aly64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
]Good morning all,
My name is Alyson(Aly to my friends and family)
I am female(or I was the last time I looked lol),I am 51 years young,married,mother to 3 grown up children(or thats what they tell me) a beautiful 4 yr old granddaughter and a grandson due in Febuary :).I am british and live in Northamptonshire.I tend to be a positive(glass half full),easy going,loving person,my husband says I should be a diplomat :).It takes a lot to get me angry.I love a wide range of music ,my all time favorites are Gary Numan(since I was 13yrs),Rammstein,Queen,Abba,ACDC,80s new romantic,ska, I could go on........ :) I have been camping for many years,bike/trike rallies,music festivals,two years ago we upgraded to a folding camper(such luxury),we love going to new places and have been going to the Whitby Goth weekends for 8 years,love victoriana/steampunk.Love eastenders,American horror story,casualty,most reality programs,one of my favorite films is The king and I(just love the dresses lol).I love doing family history research.
I did'nt do any travelling before I met my husband(been together 18 years,married for 5yrs)Since then we regularly go to Southern Ireland(my husband comes from County Galway) at least once a year to meet up with family.Spain,Krakow last year(amazing place,highly recommend)New York for my 50th(another great place to visit),going to Prague this year for sightseeing and to see ACDC in concert.more holidays to plan.
I love dress making(make all my own victorian outfits for Whitby)
I have worked in my current job for 13 years,I am a driver for social services.
I have just been diagnosed with T2 diabetes,trying to get my head round what I am and am not allowed to eat(need to lose weight).No medication.
Fed up with all this wet weather :p x

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello aly64, first i will ask @daisy1 for the info pack for new posters, welcome,have a good read and come back with your questions,clive

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello aly64 and Bobobo. Just to say: Welcome to the Forum, we are a friendly lot and if you have anything you want to ask? Or contribute to the questions asked? Please do. Thanks.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello and welcome to the Forum dmhcaspian and Rogerclinton too.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry forgot to add: Welcome to the Forum dookie as well.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
- What is your name? Lucy
- How old are you? 35
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which city/area do you live in? Just outside of Birmingham
- Are you religious? I'm a bit spiritual, but not really religious.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Straightforward, calm, honest.
- Do you have any pets? A wonderful 7 month old cockapoo.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? I don't play anything. Mildly into Motosport - but that's just by osmosis as my hubby is a fan of anything with an engine.
- Do you get angry easily? There has to be a really good reason.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Tattoos - wrists, feet, shoulder, back.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Elvis, Art Garfunkel, Dixie Chicks, Bon Jovi, P!nk
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Folk or Country
- What is your favourite flag? This has never crossed my mind, so I've never thought about it!
- Ever gone camping? I love camping, but only in comfort... almost glamping really.
- Ever been in love? Yes, 'im indoors is my life love.
- Ever used fake tan? Yes, but I'm pale as pale - so it always looked stupid.
- Which countries have you visited? UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Egypt, and the USA.
- Favourite city? New York - I'd move there in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. I've recently discovered The Walking Dead, which I love! My other faves are Orange is the New Black and American Horror Story. Do like travel documentaries, so am currently enjoying Walking The Himalayas, and anything with Ben Fogle
- List your five favourite films. Loads, but nothing particularly different or unique - all the usual Steven Spielberg type Blockbusters.
- Are you wealthy? There's poor, there's dirt, and then there's me!
- Do you work? If so, as what? Sales Engineer
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Usual GCSE's. Bit of RSA Diploma thrown in. Environment & Technology at degree level.
- What do you like most about yourself? I get on with it.
- What do you like least about yourself? I am so disorganised that it's almost comical.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello luceeloo. Welcome to the Forum.

pussinboots73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
- What is your name?
Dominique.
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
I am a female.
- Which country are you from?
The United Kingdom, Wales.
- Which city/area do you live in?
South Wales.
- Are you religious?
I am a wiccan.
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Fun loving, sensitive animal lover.
- Do you have any pets?
Yep, four doggies and six ***** cats (told you I'm an animal lover lol)
- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I love watching rugby
- Do you get angry easily?
Not anymore.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
Yes. I have my lips pierced four times my tongue and my ears and nose. I have a lot of tattooes as well on my back arm legs and foot
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Metallica, System of a down, Adele, Kate Bush, Tori Amos.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Anything and everything.
- What is your favourite flag?
My own country.
- Ever gone camping?
Yes I love it.
- Ever been in love?
Yes.
- Ever used fake tan?
No way. I like pale.
- Which countries have you visited?
Never left my little Island.
- Favourite city?
I don't have a favorite city but I do have a favorite town, Conwy in North Wales were I was born.
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
24 hours in a and e, tattoo fixers, Emmerdale, Corrie and EastEnders.
- List your five favourite films.
Hannibal, Bram Stokers' Dracula, interview with the vampire and Salt.
- Are you wealthy?
Nope.
- Do you work? If so, as what?
No I am registered disabled, but have worked and hard a few years back.
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
Psychology, Manicure and pedicure, business law, typing RSA, English, Math, Welsh, Social Education, Science.
- What do you like most about yourself?
I love making people laugh.
- What do you like least about yourself?
Being overweight

I am a type 2 diabetic and was diagnosed last year. Recently my blood sugars have been very high which has caused some bad symptoms, blurred vision, dry mouth, aches and pains etc. My Doctor has now put me on metformin and they are causing some unwanted stomach upsets for me. I have a range of illnesses, some due to being overweight others not. I have sarcoidosis, osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, underactive thyroid, high blood pressure, allergies, depression, diabetes and an enlarged heart.

Terry1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
- What is your name?..............................................................................TERRY
- How old are you?...................................................................................47
- Are you male or female?........................................................................MALE
- Which country are you from?.................................................................ENGLAND
- Which city/area do you live in?...............................................................LONDON
- Are you religious?...................................................................................NO
- Pick three words to describe your personality........................................SERIOUS..FUN..EASY GOING
- Do you have any pets?..........................................................................4 CATS...BEARDED DRAGON.........FISH
- Microsoft or Apple?................................................................................BOTH
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?................................................FOOTBALL.........BUT NOT ANYMORE
- Do you get angry easily?.......................................................................DEPENDS
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?.............................NO
- List your five favourite musicians/bands................................................MADNESS..ELO..MADDONA..QUEEN..THE SPECIALS
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?.............................SKA / SOUL
- What is your favourite flag?...................................................................UNION JACK
- Ever gone camping?..............................................................................WHEN YOUNGER
- Ever been in love?.................................................................................YES
- Ever used fake tan?...............................................................................NO
- Which countries have you visited?.....................................SPAIN..HOLLAND..BELGUIM..FRANCE..WALES..GREECE..AMERICA
- Favourite city?.......................................................................................NEW YORK
- List your five favourite TV programmes..........................ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES..MATCH OF THE DAY..GRAND DESIGNS
- List your five favourite films................................................................PLATOON..WARRIORS..WANDERERS
- Are you wealthy?................................................................................NO
- Do you work? If so, as what?..............................................IVE BEEN CLEANING WINDOWS FOR 25 YEARS COMMERCIALLY
- List the subjects you study/have studied............................................I LOVE DIY
- What do you like most about yourself?...............................................I AM VERY HANDY (DIY WISE)
- What do you like least about yourself?................................................NOT SURE

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello Terry1968. Welcome to the Forum. We're a friendly lot on here - if you have any questions? Just ask - somebody will come along and answer. :)

P

paula.nolan42

What is your name? ~ Hi, My name is Paula

- Are you male or female? ~ Female

- Which country are you from? ~ Ireland - but I live in the UK

- Which city/area do you live in? ~ East Sussex

- Are you religious? ~ No.

- Pick three words to describe your personality: ~ easygoing - independent - resourceful

- Do you have any pets? ~ No - but I'd love to have a dog

- Microsoft or Apple? ~ Apple

- Do you get angry easily? ~ Yes.

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? ~ I used to have piercings (ears & tongue) I have 3 tattoo's - shoulders and foot

- List your five favourite musicians/bands. ~ Take That & Lady Gaga & Hozier & Glen Hansard & 80's Rock & Classical & Jazz and lots and lots

- What would you say your favourite music genre is? ~ I don't think I could pic a favourite - I fit music to my mood

- What is your favourite flag?

- Ever gone camping? ~ yes - motorbike rallys - great fun

- Ever been in love? ~ I thought I was

- Ever used fake tan? ~ nope

- Which countries have you visited? ~ France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Greece (Crete) Spain, Italy, Israel, America, New Zealand.

- Favourite city? ~ Dublin (my home town)

- List your five favourite TV programmes. ~ Sons of Anarchy, Hannibal. Nature stuff. How Its Made. Star Trek.

- List your five favourite films. ~ Jaws, Alien, (most Science Fiction) Harry Potter. Marvel Movies

- Are you wealthy? ~ In comparison to what ?

- Do you work? If so, as what? ~ I work for a facilities company, I specialise in CMMS (Computerised Maintenance Management System)

- What do you like most about yourself? ~ physically my eyes - personality my humour

- What do you like least about yourself? ~ physically - everything from the neck down - personality my gullibility

Reactions: 4 people

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Hi thought I would have a go at this cannot find question list but here is my contribution.
I am 68 a mother of seven diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in 2004 when an infection on a vien was hard to heal put on metformin, stating substitute perinderrempril and quinine as I suffer agony with cramp in the inner thigh. Was taken off metformin when my kidneys showed problems and put on glipizide. then in 2008 after having three CGC'S and asked if I had pains in my chest I was taken off glipizide and put back on metformin. Been obese most of my life but since 2004 have gone from 22 stone to 15.13 but want to get down to 11 stone think this is all I will get down to. Had me ears pieced when a young mum. Have had two clots in the lung and thrombosis phlebitis in left leg and extensive DVT in right leg as well as cellulitis the back of that leg is black now.
my mother had diabetes and died from a heart attack in 1981. I have arthritus that limits my mobility very much but enjoy taking my 90 year old aunt to a lunch club on Wednesday. Has a wonderful partner for twelve years who died from a heart attack two years ago now have a best friend Thomas my cat.
that's all I can think of people except not be g able to exercise makes losing wright and toning impossible but hey ho plenty worse than me.

Last edited by a moderator:

spjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much, am pretty easy going.
Hello my name is Sheila I turned 60 3 weeks ago and diagnosed type 2 last Tuesday. I live In London not really religious, but do respect other peoples beliefs.
I guess I'm a very ordinary person, with a very ordinary personality I love being alive, loyal to family and friends and must have a good belly laugh daily.
All my pets have gone to the happy hunting ground now.Am fairly easy going about most things just lately feeling a little sparky as I've been on the medical treadmill for the last three plus years, methinks totally medicalization. Ears only pierced and not a tat anywhere.
Very eclectic in my music so have lots of favourite music and genres but for me Steely Dan ( Messrs Walter Becker and Donald Fagen ) are the stars at the top of the tree. Have been a widow for more than 20 years now and still miss my husband, he was the best friend I have ever had.
Best city in the world is Dublin, Eire because of the people, the craic and my family. Favorite movies is a hard one to answer, jury is out on that one as it has too many variables for me, same for TV programmes but must mention The Bridge, Gogglebox and Supervet as recent likes.
Spend a lot of time at home since I stopped working about 5 years ago, as I care for my adult son who has uncontrolled epilepsy and now suffers with severe depression. Admit to finding it difficult to remain positive and upbeat at times especially when i get a new medical problem, but if I didn't laugh I would melt away in tears which is totally unappealing.
"Never give up. Never surrender"

Reactions: 6 people