HELP! Teenager & alcohol

poshpaddy71

My 17 year son is off out tonight for a NYE party. It's his first night out since he was diagnosed in September and as much as I rather he didn't go i want him to lead a normal life. Any words of wisdom? I thought of getting in pizza for him to have when he gets in. I'd really appreciate any advice. Many thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Cassandra13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey there!
This is all going to be a bit scary at first and a learning experience for both of you! I was diagnosed at 19 and had to learn how to handle alcohol all over again. One thing that helped myself and my parents feel at ease is that we told my best friend exactly what a hypo looks like and she reminded me to test my BG. She also carried my liquid glucose for me incase I started to act funny. A snack before bed and lots of water for your son is a great idea, just make sure he doesn't over correct with insulin as alcohol will actually lower is BG as it inhibits the livers function. He can also set an alarm and check his BG during the night. Keep a juice box beside the bed so that if he is low, he wont have to stumble to find food. (Hypo + Drunk = not very coordinated :) )

I find that I do not actually need any fast acting insulin when I drink, my basil insulin is enough to keep me under control, I may be high when I go to sleep but I will drop back into normal range throughout the night.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My 17 year son is off out tonight for a NYE party. It's his first night out since he was diagnosed in September and as much as I rather he didn't go i want him to lead a normal life. Any words of wisdom? I thought of getting in pizza for him to have when he gets in. I'd really appreciate any advice. Many thanks
Whole pizza maybe too much but a slice or two should be enough. He should have some glucose tablets (or sweets) in his pocket and test few time during the evening. Telling a friend as @Cassandra13 advised is a very good idea. He should have some solid, fatty meal before going out but a bit earlier ,so when he starts drinking there wont be much active insulin left. I try to eat at least 2 hours before I plan to drink and dance. Dancing is like exercise so lots of sweets in a pocket or some snacks like crisps with a drink

Reactions: 2 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know its easy to say but don't stress too much :) He will be with other people around and when he comes back home you can check on him when he sleeps

poshpaddy71

Thanks ladies....all the above has been taken abroad....fingers crossed it will be a good night for us both.
Happy New Year and thanks for yer replies x

Reactions: 8 people

poshpaddy71

Well so far tonight at 11pm he was 18.7 and took 3 insulin and did another reading at 1:10am and he was 16.7....my hubbie thinks he'll be ok just taking 5 of his normal evening insulin and not necessarily have any carbs....wish I understood all this

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, how is his BS this morning, it will get easier in time, but the teenage years can be a bit fraught at times, wishing a happy new year to you all.

Best wishes RRB

poshpaddy71

Hi, how is his BS this morning, it will get easier in time, but the teenage years can be a bit fraught at times, wishing a happy new year to you all.

Best wishes RRB[/QUOTE

Thanks Robinredbreast...my son was 12.2 when he went to bed at stupid o'clock this morning and then when he woke this afternoon at 2pm ish he was 10.7....not sure if that was a sucess or not! I know one thing for sure I'll sleep a bit better tonight. X

Reactions: 3 people

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
I found that alcohol did not do much to raise my super at all in fact strongly it helps, don't understand why but is good, I don't drink a lot but it's ok for me.