new, in denial, and petrified! Please help!!!!!!

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome!

Firstly, wanted to check that you are sure you are T2?
You have that on your profile, but without seeing a doc, you can't yet be sure. So please bear that in mind, and get yourself checked out asap.

Secondly, welcome to the club. We all go through this, and the denial and horror that 'I let this happen' is a perfectly understandable reaction, but believe me, it passes.

As a nurse, I expect you are immersed in the standard doctrine that type 2 is caused by bad eating, being fat, and not taking enough exercise. Most NHS staff believe this. So does the media. So do most newly diagnosed T2s.

But the longer you stick around this forum, the more you will realise that not only are some T2s slim, active and on good diets, there are a heck of a lot of other factors at play. I am a reasonably active T2 with an excellent diet - yet I am still fat. Genetics, environment, other health conditions, etc. all play a part.

Diet and exercise are fundamental to handling T2, but the more I understand about this condition, the more I realise that the root cause (insulin resistance) almost always happens before the lethargy, tiredness, lack of exercise, lazy eating and excess weight which are a result of the insulin resistance. It is not laziness, apathy, or greed that causes T2. People start on the road to T2 when they are slim and active. The rest is a symptom, not a cause.

Of course, it doesn't help that the diet of healthy carbs, so loved by the NHS is really not a good idea for someone who is carb sensitive enough to have developed T2.
Hello, Yeah, im definately diabetic!!!! I knew it was coming eventually. My dad has type 2 and Im so like my dad, its un-real. I have polysystic ovaries too, so these things combined, I knew it would come one day...........x

Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hiya CN and welcome. If we go by the stereotypes of T2 (always fat, yaddayadda) then being honest, a lot of the practice/diabetes nurses that sit and lecture us about our lifestyle, should practice what they preach lol.
Seriously..get your diagnosis officially. You most likely are diabetic and it won't go away, even if you refuse to accept it!
The good news is, there's tons you can do to make those levels come down, although it can take a few weeks.
Probably one of the most important things you can do (and not easy as an HCP) is have an open mind. Unfortunately for most, the NHS advice of starchy carbs being necessary is disastrous and nearly always causes a hike in BG levels. Cutting spuds, bread, rice and pasta of ALL types is helpful, cereal is another culprit and that often includes porridge.

Get yourself a monitor and start checking your levels before and after meals. Get the groundwork done first, so you can make the changes you need to. Many of us have levels close to or in normal range, acheived by minimal Meds or diet alone. It's really not the end of the world, and nothing to be ashamed of...honestly:)

Reactions: 8 people

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hiya CN and welcome. If we go by the stereotypes of T2 (always fat, yaddayadda) then being honest, a lot of the practice/diabetes nurses that sit and lecture us about our lifestyle, should practice what they preach lol.
Seriously..get your diagnosis officially. You most likely are diabetic and it won't go away, even if you refuse to accept it!
The good news is, there's tons you can do to make those levels come down, although it can take a few weeks.
Probably one of the most important things you can do (and not easy as an HCP) is have an open mind. Unfortunately for most, the NHS advice of starchy carbs being necessary is disastrous and nearly always causes a hike in BG levels. Cutting spuds, bread, rice and pasta of ALL types is helpful, cereal is another culprit and that often includes porridge.

Get yourself a monitor and start checking your levels before and after meals. Get the groundwork done first, so you can make the changes you need to. Many of us have levels close to or in normal range, acheived by minimal Meds or diet alone. It's really not the end of the world, and nothing to be ashamed of...honestly:)
feels like it though!!! thank you x

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! I'm newly diagnosed and have found this site so helpful already and everyone is very friendly. Firstly, you NEED to go to your GP asap, if you are diabetic then you need to get going with seeing the diabetic team and getting the right help and medication you need - this is really important. You say you had 5+ glucose in your urine and a BG reading of 15.5mmol/l. Did you check your ketones? You must check this as well, just in case they're high.

I imagine your gp is closed until the 4th Jan, like most, so go to a walk in centre tomorrow. I can't stress the importance of getting this sorted. You don't know that you are Type 2 yet, there is always the possibility of being Type 1 too surely. Can you get there tomorrow?

Secondly, try not to panic and please, please, please do not feel ashamed and do not skip meals. You'll be just fine I promise, but get to walk in tomorrow and go from there. Please keep us updated. xxx

Reactions: 5 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @curlynurse .
Whatever your next meal is choose it carefully. Don't snack. Make yourself a concoction of food with no cereal, bread, rice or pasta. Especially no pastry or cake/biscuits or sweets.
The stranger the better.
Right.
Why does that meal look and feel strange?
Because it's not your normally way of eating. Some people can eat unlimited carbs. Diabetics have them interfere with their sensitive workings.
If you were allergic to nuts would you eat them?
I didn't have a clue I was sensitive to carbs. Why would I when everyone around me wasn't.
The important thing is you know now.
Knock these damaging carbs to the curb they are interferring with your good health and happiness.
Welcome to 2016 in the knowledge! :)

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I love my serial in a morning yes full of carbs but according to my daibetese nurse I have to have them in a morning for energy. sighs can not face an egg first thing in a morning yukkk yet can eat them at lunch ...weird aint I :rolleyes:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My dietician ask me to reintroduce porridge but not yet I've decided. Once I'm more my ideal weight I'll think about it.
We are all different but all have diabetes or links to.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I love my serial in a morning yes full of carbs but according to my daibetese nurse I have to have them in a morning for energy. sighs can not face an egg first thing in a morning yukkk yet can eat them at lunch ...weird aint I :rolleyes:

Do you test your levels 2 hrs after Patsy? It's an individual choice, but if something is full of carbs, it won't be doing the diabetes any good.
As for the nonsense about energy - that really isn't the case. Misinformation as usual.

Reactions: 6 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
smiles I can tell when it drops and am on Insulin so watch it carefully ...exercise is the key though ..if I exercise it goes down nicely if I do not it takes a long time to drop...even at 70 years young I find walking is a good form of exercise however think i a little too old for the gym well so my hubby says haha

Reactions: 2 people

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
You can only have as many carbs as won't spike you. There is no point in eating carbs that take you above 9, because they are not delivering energy, they are sloshing around in your bloodstream causing complications.
Only eating to the meter and testing will tell you what your system can cope with.
Eggs can be cooked many ways and I now enjoy my eggy breakfast. Chick pea pancakes are also a good slowly absorbed breakfast that don't spike me. I mix chick pea flour with water to make a batter, add a chopped spring onion, some seeds, bit of spice. Stand it for a bit and fry.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
So as my title says, Im in denial. Havent been to dr`s yet, but checked my urine in work on monday, as I thought I had urine infection, and had 5+++++ of glucose!!! I then did my BM, it was 15.5mmol!! Im a nurse, so was able to test myself. My BM this am, before any food was 11.1mmol. Im scared, [etrified, I know I need to go to doc`s, but I refuse to be a diabetic!!! Did anyone else feel like this????
Hi curlynurse. I think blaming ourselves and cursing our misfortune are very normal responses to the kind of bad news that a diagnosis - informal or formal - of diabetes brings. Fortunately, this condition is, if not curable, completely manageable. My own experiences so far persuade me that type 2 is completely curable but I'll come to that in a moment . I read the reply Mongolia sent to you and was not only inspired but also found myself in agreement with the claims made because of my own experience with type 2. Now I know that you are a highly trained health care professional, but I want to share with you the results of my own informal research and experience with this condition over the last two years. I felt exactly as you did when I was first informed that I had type 2. Although not medically trained, I do have a modest research background and was motivated to find out as much as I could about this hormonal problem - for I do believe that this is what it is - in order to reclaim my health. In a nutshell, I discovered that medical professionals cannot agree about the best course of action to take in the treatment of this condition. This is not terribly surprising in and of itself, but what is of interest here is that some doctors are claiming with clinical evidence to support the claims, that the science around the treatment of type 2 is all wrong. Please note the all wrong not "faulty" or "flawed" here! In short, I investigated some of these physicians and found my beacon of light for a route to recovery. I will name three of them for you, all highly accredited and in good standing in their profession. The first is Dr. Jason Fung . More than any other, this physician's work has helped me to reclaim my own health and absolutely convince me that type 2 diabetes is a curable condition for many who suffer from it. I urge you to investigate his efforts to help diabetics. You do not have to go to the website, you can find him by just using Google and his name. The other two are Dr. Sarah Hallberg and Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt. The expertise these three physicians have to share with you will make your beginning efforts to restore your health productive and satisfactory. No one wants to have bad news about their personal health, sometimes though, such news serves as a wake up call if we are willing to hear it. Many of us who have type 2 have the means at our disposal to cure this condition if we are unwilling to rely solely upon medications. Please look up the work of these doctors and breathe deeply. You can do more than just manage this condition you can reverse it completely. Please be aware however, that many well meaning healthcare professionals who subscribe to the current conventional medical wisdom about the treatment of type 2 diabetes can give advice and information that should be completely ignored if you want to reverse type 2. This might be a bit more difficult for a professional nurse to hear than it would be for someone who is not medically trained. We all trust the goodwill and compassion of our physicians but they are after all human and can get things wrong- many have done that in connection with the treatment of type 2 diabetes. I'm trying to say to you that the science around the treatment of this condition is just wrong at the moment and you must be prepared to be unconventional to reclaim your health here. Best of luck in 2016 to do just that. Remember, tout commencement est difficile, but often results in glorious arrivals! Two years ago my fasting blood glucose levels were in the 11 to 12 region. My average fasting levels are now between 4.2 + 4.8 on a regular and daily basis. We will all respond differently to the hormonal disruptions of this condition, but I can't think that my response is unique or magical in relation to what others can achieve if they are only prepared to do what is necessary to treat their type 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone help me with side-effects? Dont know if it`s coincidence, but I get really short of breath and have terrible pain in my lower back. around my kidney area!!! This is freaking me out too :eek:(

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you seen a doctor / been to a walk in clinic yet? Do you have any way of testing for ketones? Shortness of breath and abdominal pain can be symptoms of DKA - you should get yourself to a doctor or at least call 111.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi curlynurse. I think blaming ourselves and cursing our misfortune are very normal responses to the kind of bad news that a diagnosis - informal or formal - of diabetes brings. Fortunately, this condition is, if not curable, completely manageable. My own experiences so far persuade me that type 2 is completely curable but I'll come to that in a moment . I read the reply Mongolia sent to you and was not only inspired but also found myself in agreement with the claims made because of my own experience with type 2. Now I know that you are a highly trained health care professional, but I want to share with you the results of my own informal research and experience with this condition over the last two years. I felt exactly as you did when I was first informed that I had type 2. Although not medically trained, I do have a modest research background and was motivated to find out as much as I could about this hormonal problem - for I do believe that this is what it is - in order to reclaim my health. In a nutshell, I discovered that medical professionals cannot agree about the best course of action to take in the treatment of this condition. This is not terribly surprising in and of itself, but what is of interest here is that some doctors are claiming with clinical evidence to support the claims, that the science around the treatment of type 2 is all wrong. Please note the all wrong not "faulty" or "flawed" here! In short, I investigated some of these physicians and found my beacon of light for a route to recovery. I will name three of them for you, all highly accredited and in good standing in their profession. The first is Dr. Jason Fung and you can find out all about his work at intensivedietmanagement.com. More than any other, this physician's work has helped me to reclaim my own health and absolutely convince me that type 2 diabetes is a curable condition for many who suffer from it. I urge you to investigate his efforts to help diabetics. You do not have to go to the website, you can find him by just using Google and his name. The other two are Dr. Sarah Hallberg and Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt. The expertise these three physicians have to share with you will make your beginning efforts to restore your health productive and satisfactory. No one wants to have bad news about their personal health, sometimes though, such news serves as a wake up call if we are willing to hear it. Many of us who have type 2 have the means at our disposal to cure this condition if we are unwilling to rely solely upon medications. Please look up the work of these doctors and breathe deeply. You can do more than just manage this condition you can reverse it completely. Please be aware however, that many well meaning healthcare professionals who subscribe to the current conventional medical wisdom about the treatment of type 2 diabetes can give advice and information that should be completely ignored if you want to reverse type 2. This might be a bit more difficult for a professional nurse to hear than it would be for someone who is not medically trained. We all trust the goodwill and compassion of our physicians but they are after all human and can get things wrong- many have done that in connection with the treatment of type 2 diabetes. I'm trying to say to you that the science around the treatment of this condition is just wrong at the moment and you must be prepared to be unconventional to reclaim your health here. Best of luck in 2016 to do just that. Remember, tout commencement est difficile, but often results in glorious arrivals! Two years ago my fasting blood glucose levels were in the 11 to 12 region. My average fasting levels are now between 4.2 + 4.8 on a regular and daily basis. We will all respond differently to the hormonal disruptions of this condition, but I can't think that my response is unique or magical in relation to what others can achieve if they are only prepared to do what is necessary to treat their type 2.

I am VERY uncomfortable with you claiming that T2 is 'curable' - especially to a new poster, who is not even officially diagnosed.

The debate on whether T2 is curable has been hammered out on this forum ad nauseum, and re-starting that debate here would derail this thread.

However, to make sweeping statements like that is misleading and unhelpful in this context. Offering hope is great. Announcing cures is not.

Reactions: 8 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Have you seen a doctor / been to a walk in clinic yet? Do you have any way of testing for ketones? Shortness of breath and abdominal pain can be symptoms of DKA - you should get yourself to a doctor or at least call 111.

Absolutely agree with you @catapillar.

@curlynurse, the symptoms you've described are rather worrying and it would be best that you are seen by a Dr asap.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am VERY uncomfortable with you claiming that T2 is 'curable' - especially to a new poster, who is not even officially diagnosed.

The debate on whether T2 is curable has been hammered out on this forum ad nauseum, and re-starting that debate here would derail this thread.

However, to make sweeping statements like that is misleading and unhelpful in this context. Offering hope is great. Announcing cures is not.
The only one derailing the thread is you.

His post was properly worded and he made it very clear that he was offering an opinion. Not only that, but he cited his reasoning and several sources for his information. Something I rarely see done around here.

In fact, I found his post quite refreshing compared to the standard information offered to new members that "All Carbs are bad for you and you should blindly adopt a LCHF DIET."

M

mrspuddleduck

The only one derailing the thread is you.

His post was properly worded and he made it very clear that he was offering an opinion. Not only that, but he cited his reasoning and several sources for his information. Something I rarely see done around here.

In fact, I found his post quite refreshing compared to the standard information offered to new members that "All Carbs are bad for you and you should blindly adopt a LCHF DIET."

With every respect @TorqPenderloin , I don't think @Brunneria was derailing the thread at all. Given the OPs original thread which clearly stated she is NOT diagnosed, that she is in need of urgent immediate advise/action and that she is feeling scared, worried and panicked the comment @Brunneria made was complete appropriate "however to make sweeping statements like that is misleading and unhelpful in this context".
@curlynurse - it is bank holiday weekend. Bottom line is you are a nurse so deep down you know that you need to do something so go to a walk in or phone 111 tonight. Meanwhile don't stop eating, eat light meals, avoiding sugar and carbs and make sure you drink enough fluids. If and when you are diagnosed you can then explore your different options for diet and/or medication but you need to get sorted!! We have all been there so don't feel alone, and BTW breathlessness is a common incident on onset - I'd been rushed into hospital with suspected embolism and came out Diabetic - but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be investigated now! Sue xxxxx

Reactions: 7 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fair enough, but now we are all derailing the thread.

I felt his post was properly worded to state that he was sharing his opinion. I did not infer he was CONFIRMING it was curable.

Either way, the point is, none of this is proven one way or another. We each have our own opinions and many times we disagree with one another, but I can respect (as Charles did) when someone offers their opinion.

For the record, I don't agree with every one of Charles' opinions but at least he offers substance in his posts that promotes a respectful discussion.

Either way there's plenty of information (and nonsense)out there, and Curlynurse will have to formulate her own opinions.

That's the last you'll hear from me on this. Just a bit tired of seeing peoples' words taken out of context and made into something they're not meant to be.

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With every respect @TorqPenderloin , I don't think @Brunneria was derailing the thread at all. Given the OPs original thread which clearly stated she is NOT diagnosed, that she is in need of urgent immediate advise/action and that she is feeling scared, worried and panicked the comment @Brunneria made was complete appropriate "however to make sweeping statements like that is misleading and unhelpful in this context".
@curlynurse - it is bank holiday weekend. Bottom line is you are a nurse so deep down you know that you need to do something so go to a walk in or phone 111 tonight. Meanwhile don't stop eating, eat light meals, avoiding sugar and carbs and make sure you drink enough fluids. If and when you are diagnosed you can then explore your different options for diet and/or medication but you need to get sorted!! We have all been there so don't feel alone, and BTW breathlessness is a common incident on onset - I'd been rushed into hospital with suspected embolism and came out Diabetic - but that doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be investigated now! Sue xxxxx
Im going to dr`s first thing monday! Ive told work I have to have an hour off to go, not gone down well!!! I actually work in gp out of hours service. and im in tommorow, so will speak to one of the gp`s there!!! Thank you for the advice on the breathlessness, its so worrying when its happening to you!!!! cn x

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im going to dr`s first thing monday! Ive told work I have to have an hour off to go, not gone down well!!! I actually work in gp out of hours service. and im in tommorow, so will speak to one of the gp`s there!!! Thank you for the advice on the breathlessness, its so worrying when its happening to you!!!! cn x

I may be overreacting as I'm new to all this, but with BG readings of 15mmol/l, 5+ glucose in your urine and symptoms of DKA, you need to be seeing someone today. I left mine for a long time as I thought it was a bug and ended up poorly in hospital for almost a week. I was lucky. Please just call 111 and see what they say. You're not doing anyone any favours by waiting until tomorrow. Please just ring them. xxx