ILL with a cold

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
I have a cold and bg is rising 10.2 at the mo. should I give my self a correction dose???. if so how mutch.

thanks

norwaycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who make a big deal out of beIng a diabetic
I would do a correction and also increase my temp basal insulin up to 120%

norwaycook

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
people who make a big deal out of beIng a diabetic
You always need more insulin when having a cold. I have one at the moment and I am all over the shop. Trying desperately to get it under control.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
hi
I have a cold and bg is rising 10.2 at the mo. should I give my self a correction dose???. if so how mutch.

thanks
Surely either you or your health team set up the pump to deliver correction doses? Just tell the pump how high your blood sugar is and it should work it out for you.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I increased my temp basal to 120-130% when I'm ill, hope you are feeling better soon. Colds are a pain at best of times but us diabetics suffer even more than normal! :-(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You always need more insulin when having a cold. I have one at the moment and I am all over the shop. Trying desperately to get it under control.
I'm different lol as have a stinking cold and blood sugars are refusing to go above 4.5 :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ok thanks all @CarbsRok can I have some of what your having. lol
Lol I doubt you would want it I have an autoimmune condition called Addison's disease which means I do not produce cortisol. Hence I take steroids by mouth and have to take extra when unwell, under medicated means very low blood sugars. More will be taken tomorrow.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@CarbsRok
lol oh then afraid not I don't think that would do me any good at all thanks. bloody colds is bad enough.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely temp basal increase and like has been said your pump will work your correction dose out for you, just input your BG. You may need to change your insulin sensitivity ratio, might be worth setting up a new pattern for sick days. I'm sure you're already doing so but keep a close eye on things as being unwell on the pump things can decline quickly re DKA as we obviously haven't any long acting insulin in us.