new, in denial, and petrified! Please help!!!!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone help me with side-effects? Dont know if it`s coincidence, but I get really short of breath and have terrible pain in my lower back. around my kidney area!!! This is freaking me out too :eek:(

Hi @curlynurse

None of us have medical experience, so if it was me I'd give 111 a ring tonight and see what they say as @noblehead and others have advised. That way you can speak to someone and get a much better idea of what's going on.

Maybe it's nothing, but better to know for sure than to get ill.

Reactions: 4 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to agree with Lizzie - I think it's really important that you get tested for ketones before you go to sleep - 111 may well say otherwise, but please do ring them now to check. I hate the idea of you leaving it overnight when you are reporting symptoms that sound like DKA - it may be that we are over reacting but please just check with a doctor now.

Best wishes x

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
I am VERY uncomfortable with you claiming that T2 is 'curable' - especially to a new poster, who is not even officially diagnosed.

The debate on whether T2 is curable has been hammered out on this forum ad nauseum, and re-starting that debate here would derail this thread.

However, to make sweeping statements like that is misleading and unhelpful in this context. Offering hope is great. Announcing cures is not.
Hi B. I believe I expressed my opinion clearly about my belief that type 2 is a curable condition. I am sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable but I stand by it. By expressing it I am NOT offering magical panaceas or false solutions to any persons. I am merely pointing out that enough evidence exists to suggest that the science connected to the conventional prescribed treatments for type 2 has been shown to be seriously flawed. These are not voices in the wilderness. This also offers much more hope to newly diagnosed people than the conventional claims that the condition is invariably chronic and progressive. Some people may be unable or unwilling to explore beyond the boundaries of what conventional medicine proclaims as sound treatment for this condition. Some may have to rely or want to rely on medication to attempt to control the illness. Fair enough. But suggesting that there are ways to completely reverse type 2 diabetes is not giving people false hope, especially with the mounting evidence to suggest that this can be accomplished. I am aware that curlynurse has not yet been diagnosed. The absence of a diagnosis at this stage of her concerns does not in any way provide a context to make the views expressed in my opinion unhelpful or misleading. We are all affected differently by this condition - something I think I made clear in my comments. We also take control of it as individuals. My intention here was to reassure and support someone who expressed fear and dismay

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi B. I believe I expressed my opinion clearly about my belief that type 2 is a curable condition. I am sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable but I stand by it. By expressing it I am NOT offering magical panaceas or false solutions to any persons. I am merely pointing out that enough evidence exists to suggest that the science connected to the conventional prescribed treatments for type 2 has been shown to be seriously flawed. These are not voices in the wilderness. This also offers much more hope to newly diagnosed people than the conventional claims that the condition is invariably chronic and progressive. Some people may be unable or unwilling to explore beyond the boundaries of what conventional medicine proclaims as sound treatment for this condition. Some may have to rely or want to rely on medication to attempt to control the illness. Fair enough. But suggesting that there are ways to completely reverse type 2 diabetes is not giving people false hope, especially with the mounting evidence to suggest that this can be accomplished. I am aware that curlynurse has not yet been diagnosed. The absence of a diagnosis at this stage of her concerns does not in any way provide a context to make the views expressed in my opinion unhelpful or misleading. We are all affected differently by this condition - something I think I made clear in my comments. We also take control of it as individuals. My intention here was to reassure and support someone who expressed fear and dismay

My objection to your post was because of its inappropriateness in the context of this thread.

We all want a cure.
Some of us believe it already exists.
Others believe the evidence is not conclusive, and only applicable to some type 2s, not all.

I would be very sorry if this irrelevant discussion puts curlynurse off the forum, or interferes with her getting the support she needs at the moment. She has other concerns than your belief in a cure, at the moment.

How are you doing, @curlynurse ?

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
My objection to your post was because of its inappropriateness in the context of this thread.

We all want a cure.
Some of us believe it already exists.
Others believe the evidence is not conclusive, and only applicable to some type 2s, not all.

I would be very sorry if this irrelevant discussion puts curlynurse off the forum, or interferes with her getting the support she needs at the moment. She has other concerns than your belief in a cure, at the moment.

How are you doing, @curlynurse ?
Fair enough B. You are objecting to nothing more then the expression

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
People (especially newbies) get obsessed with the comment "cure" For the time being, there is none. Control, yes. Back to your normal life? No.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
People (especially newbies) get obsessed with the comment "cure" For the time being, there is none. Control, yes. Back to your normal life? No.
I suppose Mike, it depends on how you understand and define what is meant by the term"cure" in connection with type 2. There is no need to get obsessed with anything here. It is helpful to offer people hope - not false hope - but hope, for without that there can be no endeavor. Some people disagree about this. Just as some people, like you and I for instance, disagree that type 2 cannot be cured at the moment. The scientific community and doctors disagree on matters connected with type 2. In light of this I find it difficult to understand what you mean when you say definitively that there is no cure at the moment. I can only suppose that you mean conventional medical opinion supports the view that you espouse here. But please remember that the proponents of this view also advised people to eat foods that made the condition worse instead of better for many years. Do you suppose it is correct simply because it is accepted and conventional? I don't. I don't know or assume what other people are obsessed with or feeling, but I am seeing that some seem to be more comfortable expressing their own thoughts and feelings ostensibly on behalf of others.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
A cure (to me) is simply a complete and total reversal of your condition. Like the common cold or any other issue that ails us that medical science knows we can overcome. Don't disagree entirely with your assessments but I have seen some people here who've achieved ND ranges and say the same thing. Hate to set them right, but it's wrong to think this is not something you live with 24/7 without diligence and effort and dumb just to let them return to their old habits.

Yep, you can get your BS readings to non diabetic (I have) but if I started again on my old diet, gained my lost weight, and didn't exercise I'd be back to where I started from. That is a matter of "control", not "cure"

I don't disagree there is not a cure possible in the near future .... and you'd hope so as this is getting out of control.

As I have said so many times here, this needs billions (countless) thrown at it and not simply for the diabetes but the side effects.

Shellbellx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So as my title says, Im in denial. Havent been to dr`s yet, but checked my urine in work on monday, as I thought I had urine infection, and had 5+++++ of glucose!!! I then did my BM, it was 15.5mmol!! Im a nurse, so was able to test myself. My BM this am, before any food was 11.1mmol. Im scared, [etrified, I know I need to go to doc`s, but I refuse to be a diabetic!!! Did anyone else feel like this????

Hi @curlynurse, I'm quite new to the forum! My situation was the exact same as yours! I work in a hospital and dipsticked my urine as felt it had a really sweet smell to it, 4 + glucose.... Put it down to maybe diet the night before so checked it on next shift the following week ... Again 4 + glucose! Same as u I thought I may have had a urine infection but I worried about it all night so decided to check my bm in the morning before breakfast at work, so my fasting bm was 11.8. As you, I was freaking out and a bit hysterical to say the least! I couldn't get an appointment with my gp so I got all my bloods done at work.... Rechecked my bm and it was 17! A lot to do with being hysterical I'm sure! To cut a long story short I got sent to A&E and admitted to the ward. I did have ketones in my urine but all my blood gases were ok so no DKA! Of course it had to a Friday and no diabetic team to see me so like you I couldn't eat for worry that my bm would shoot up.... They were sitting between 10-15 over the weekend but that wasn't eating properly. I will admit I was terrified and absolutely hysterical at the thought of diabetes and insulin! I ended up diagnosed as type 1, I'm 25.

I can totally see where u are coming from and I remember feeling exactly the same way! And being honest I'm still finding it all very hard!! But what I would say is that all the doctors and nurses I seen said that I was very lucky I had picked it up myself and could have ended up very ill and with a completely different outcome (I had no obvious symptoms really). At the time I honestly wish I hadn't checked it but I know that everything just now is for the best. And u really need to get all ur investigations done!! Ur a nurse, what would you tell a patient to do?? Very different when it's urself in that situation but u know deep down u can't ignore it.

Really hope u seek help! Nhs 24/A&E...... Do it now will be thinking of you and please let us know how you get on. Ur def not alone!

Xxx

Reactions: 20 people

curlynurse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @curlynurse, just wanted to check how you are doing? Did you manage to speak to a dr yesterday?
I did, but he was useless, wasnt my own gp, just one of the doc`s I work with, said if I just drink lots of water, I will be fine, I went to eat an orange, he said "noooooooo, too much sugar!!", going to own gp am. can I ask you something? My right arm seems to me swollen and painful, from the shoulder, down to elbow. do you think its just coincidence?
xxx cn xxx

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't think of any obvious diabetic cause for you arm, just make sure to mention it to your GP tomorrow. I hope your GP is more helpful & remember there's lots of help & support here. X

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I did, but he was useless, wasnt my own gp, just one of the doc`s I work with, said if I just drink lots of water, I will be fine, I went to eat an orange, he said "noooooooo, too much sugar!!", going to own gp am. can I ask you something? My right arm seems to me swollen and painful, from the shoulder, down to elbow. do you think its just coincidence?
xxx cn xxx
I had a swollen arm before I was diagnosed. It was brushed off with snti-inflammatory. I too was worried and knew my body wasnt right. I called an ambulance thinking I had a clot. I got myself in a right state. Anti-inflammatories worked. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm a new "inititate" coming in at type 2 stage 2 and have a lot of other health issues that led to the diagnosis not being made until I was on the point of death as my hyperosmolar was assumed to be my PTSD and clinical depression.

I'm an ex RMN myself, had to give it in as they prefer the mad ones to be in the patients side not the nurses side :)

Don't let it drift as when the glucose builds up, it will start to damage your kidneys and other organs which will have to work double hard to expel the extra glucose and will in time make you quite ill, I was hallucinating towards the end and very delusional not knowing who even my daughters were at some points and all because the consultants assumed it was just me being mental.

arrangranny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you so much - as a newly diagnosed T2. Can I ask how long it takes for a low carb diet to take effect ?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It depends on the individual, how high your sugars are at the start and how low carb you are prepared to go - but according to my BG records I noticed a difference in my readings within a couple of days (fasting test down a couple of points) and I felt a lot better in myself within a week. It took about three weeks before I was getting 'normal' finger prick test results. But I go very low carb.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, Yeah, im definately diabetic!!!! I knew it was coming eventually. My dad has type 2 and Im so like my dad, its un-real. I have polysystic ovaries too, so these things combined, I knew it would come one day...........x
Welcome to the forum!
That's why you dont need to be ashamed, the majority of T2s have a hereditary link!
You have come to the right place for advice!

You should get diagnosed though so you can get some meds and start to reduce your bg's. It takes a little while to get your head around it all. Good luck.x