Dr. Jason Fung: Canadian Nephrologist - please look at his work in connection with Type 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Hi Charles, I heard of MCT oil and bullet proof? Expensive though. What about Resistant Starch like bananas and Potato Starch with water? Any experience with them? Apparently they are good for the gut and regulates BS? Happy New Year from Australia.
Happy new year as well to you Tony! There is so much to experiment with isn't there? I tend to stay away from bananas and potatoes simply because I haven't heard anything good about their ability to help lower insulin resistance and blood glucose levels. This does not mean for a moment that I'm not open to hearing good news or evidence to the contrary. I have heard of the MCT oil and the bulletproof diet. My understanding of this diet so far is that is very much like the one I am currently using! It has caught on very quickly in the United States but has been slower to land here in Canada. I'll keep my eyes and ears open! Best in 2016 and keep up the good work.

Tony2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, Charles. Hope you will find new experiences for all of us this year!

nannoo_bird

Please tell me how you guys can be so controlled? I would love to be able to do this, but find it impossible to ignore my cravings. Whether it is diabetes related or not, I have become seriously forgetful which means I live in chaos, eat sporadically and find it impossible to plan. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Please tell me how you guys can be so controlled? I would love to be able to do this, but find it impossible to ignore my cravings. Whether it is diabetes related or not, I have become seriously forgetful which means I live in chaos, eat sporadically and find it impossible to plan. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Simple actually. Dump the cravings, whether they be alcohol, cigarettes or (in your case) sweets, it is all the same. Tell yourself you can do it BUT KNOW that within a month or so (even weeks) you will feel better. Plan for that.

Know that it will do you good and as each day passes, It will become a lot easier. Discipline (always) and remember if you can, what you were, where you are and appreciate the difference that YOU make . Dig deep, give it your best shot and let us know how you're getting on.

Reckon with some serious work for over a week, you will not believe the change. Go do it. Emulate what many on here have done and have changed their life around and don't tell me you can't when I know you can. Prefer a few weeks hard work than something far worse down the line. Up to your good self, but I've got your back should you ever need it so don't think I'm bowing out on you.

Reactions: 4 people

nannoo_bird

Simple actually. Dump the cravings, whether they be alcohol, cigarettes or (in your case) sweets, it is all the same. Tell yourself you can do it BUT KNOW that within a month or so (even weeks) you will feel better. Plan for that.

Know that it will do you good and as each day passes, It will become a lot easier. Discipline (always) and remember if you can, what you were, where you are and appreciate the difference that YOU make . Dig deep, give it your best shot and let us know how you're getting on.

Reckon with some serious work for over a week, you will not believe the change. Go do it. Emulate what many on here have done and have changed their life around and don't tell me you can't when I know you can. Prefer a few weeks hard work than something far worse down the line. Up to your good self, but I've got your back should you ever need it so don't think I'm bowing out on you.

Thank you Mike. I am most grateful. I have been looking at some of Jason Fung's videos, and for the first time it has all made sense, and I really want to try. I will keep you informed.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I could swear that all the posters on this thread work for Jason fung :). Apart from Mike D that is.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could swear that all the posters on this thread work for Jason fung :). Apart from Mike D that is.
I certainly don't work for him, but his methods works for me! ;)

Seriously, reading Dr Fung's blog encouraged me to restart* Intermittent Fasting (in addition to the LCHF diet). At first I did 3 days per week of 500 cals, in one afternoon meal; more recently I've been doing 2 days per week of no food (just black coffee, green tea and a mug of stock from a cube). As I'm in ketosis, IFing is very easy to do - no uncontrollable hunger or cravings - and it gives me great results: reduced BGs the morning after a fast day, and a general downward trend, as well as further fat loss (which stalled a bit on the LCHF diet alone). I would recommend trying some form of Intermittent Fasting to anyone who is a) not on medication and b) eating LCHF.

* A few years ago, before T2D, I did a number of months of the 5:2 Fast Diet, where I ate 500 cals in a single meal twice a week. It worked at first, but I could not sustain it. I suspect it was because I was not eating low carb, so my blood glucose levels were fluctuating widely.

Reactions: 11 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's a secret society Lizanne!☺
I don't think secret society,Charles, to me reads more like an advertising ploy, the postings appear to be very "preachy" to me and I've never noticed a poster congratulating another poster for taking out a membership on a non NHS doctor's website before now. Having said that I am going to try intermittent fasting myself it,'s the pedantry that bothers me

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think secret society,Charles, to me reads more like an advertising ploy, the postings appear to be very "preachy" to me and I've never noticed a poster congratulating another poster for taking out a membership on a non NHS doctor's website before now. Having said that I am going to try intermittent fasting myself it,'s the pedantry that bothers me
Not quite sure how Dr Fung can be advertising as he publishes multiple videos on multiple websites for free. I find Dr Fung's opinions make a lot of sense to me and that his methods work. Which postings are preachy? I think Charles was joking about the secret society...

Reactions: 5 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Of course he was joking that's not the post I referred to, I also didn't say anyone was advertising, I said the posts read like an advertisement, I don't like being preached to
P.s check out first post on this thread, advertisement removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My feeling is that LCHF, as a way of eating, is like being vegetarian, or paleo - it becomes a lifestyle choice, and that is how people come to talk of it. (Especially as it involves some application in ones everyday life.) I didn't get any feeling of being preached at by Charles's posts (or any other LCHFers posts) - I thought he was enthusiastically sharing this wonderful work on diabetes and a way of eating and fasting by Jason Fung. But I hear you re advertisement being removed. I had put it down to a newbie's mistake.

Um - I came to this thread as it looked like it was a celebration of Fung's (yes - free) work (which is how I have taken it). As for pedantry - you mean it reads like dogma? Again - not if LCHFers in here are sharing the celebration. That's my understanding what this is. (But I accept I miss things sometimes.) I knew lots of vegetarians before I became diabetic and adopted modified paleo-LCHF, so I guess a Way Of Eating lifestyle does not seem preachey or pedantic or whatever to me, especially when those eating that way get together to discuss it...

Also - some of the English-speakers on the forum are not British nor living in Britain - so the non NHS thing does not apply in many cases. And Charles says he is from Canada. Tony2016 is from Aus. I'm from Aotearoa/Kiwiland. (If we were all at a LCHF tea party, I would exclaim at this point - "my goodness! I found out yesterday that kiwifruit are 11grams of carbs! Good grief - did you know that? I ate one last night - admittedly with a lot of cream - but 11 grams? Gee!" :). And then, yes, talk some more about Jason Fung's great fasting posts online. :).)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course he was joking that's not the post I referred to, I also didn't say anyone was advertising, I said the posts read like an advertisement, I don't like being preached to
P.s check out first post on this thread, advertisement removed by moderator
Its a link to Dr Fung's website.. so what?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pardon me? What do you mean?
The "advertisement" that was removed was a link to Dr Fung's website where he has laid out a number of videos explaining his work. There is, it is true, a link where you can get specific diet advice for a fee but you have to go to the join page. There is no fee to watch his lectures which I found very informative. The posts probably read like an advertisement because the two people are quite glad they found the site and have found it useful as indeed have I. I think you are seeing something that is not there.. Fung fan boys maybe as I would class myself. Anyway good luck with your LCHF.
Regards
Mark

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just noticed that the link to Dr Fung's website has been removed as advertising, which is puzzling for 2 reasons:

1. His website has been mentioned and linked to on a few other threads here already
2. His website offers an extensive number articles and videos, all for free! How is that advertising?

I have absolutely no affiliation with him or his site, but will be happy to shout from the rooftops that his advice has helped me (and so has Dr Bernstein's, Mark Sisson's, and many others').

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I just noticed that the link to Dr Fung's website has been removed as advertising, which is puzzling for 2 reasons:

1. His website has been mentioned and linked to on a few other threads here already
2. His website offers an extensive number articles and videos, all for free! How is that advertising?

I have absolutely no affiliation with him or his site, but will be happy to shout from the rooftops that his advice has helped me (and so has Dr Bernstein's, Mark Sisson's, and many others').

I would hazard a guess it was because it was Charles' first post, it's pretty unusual for people to include advertising links when they have just joined a forum. Or rather it is usually the people that are promising miracle cures that have advertising links in their first posts. Just a guess on my part..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lots of things!
Hi Lizanne. I was congratulating Tony on his effective management of his blood glucose and not for his interest in Jason Fung.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The "advertisement" that was removed was a link to Dr Fung's website where he has laid out a number of videos explaining his work. There is, it is true, a link where you can get specific diet advice for a fee but you have to go to the join page. There is no fee to watch his lectures which I found very informative. The posts probably read like an advertisement because the two people are quite glad they found the site and have found it useful as indeed have I. I think you are seeing something that is not there.. Fung fan boys maybe as I would class myself. Anyway good luck with your LCHF.
Regards
Mark
Count me in as a Fung fan girl, lol ;)

His blogposts on fasting have been very useful to me; so too his Youtube videos.

Reactions: 3 people