Thinning hair

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone lose lots of hair when they were diagnosed with Diabetes type 1?

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
I did initially but it is growing well again, cant be a pirate with short hair

Reactions: 4 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I never but have heard other people mentioning this. also, there are other things that cause this so maybe mention to your gp. My wife had this and turned out to be an iron deficiency. also, use a good quality shampoo like elvive thickening shampoo. Don't needed much of it just a 10p size blob so although more expensive goes alot further.

Reactions: 2 people

Type1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I believe this is to do with diabetes control. I used to be a bad diabetic. Ate a lot and injected a lot. Hbac wasn't ridiculously bad (9) but I was eating rubbish food such as bread and cakes. Anyway to cut a long story short a good diet and getting my diabetes under control really changed the quality of my hair. I also take omega 3 supplements

Basically my hair was terrible when my diabetes was and now it's good my hair is too

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I always had very thick hair as a child and when diagnosed my hair became very thin although I can't record it coming out much but then I may have just not noticed. Ever since I have had very thin hair, I believe this to be because of bad control as in the last year or so my control has been much tighter than ever before, and my hair has thickened up loads and is growing quicker too!:)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, was losing it by the handful with lots in the plug hole after hair washing . It grew back again fairly quickly after diagnosis and getting glucose under contro. I did notice hair loss again before being diagnosed as hypothyroid..
It's now thick again and because I tend not to go to the hairdressers that often, it takes him ages to thin it out so it lies flat.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, was losing it by the handful with lots in the plug hole after hair washing . It grew back again fairly quickly after diagnosis and getting glucose under contro. I did notice hair loss again before being diagnosed as hypothyroid..
It's now thick again and because I tend not to go to the hairdressers that often, it takes him ages to thin it out so it lies flat.
well I got a shock on xmas day,regarding my hair, first I usually have very short hair when I looked through the mirror I noticed on my dark hair either side next to my ears a pure white large patches of hair.omg

victry77

This is a really common thing and not exclusive to diabetes. I think t's down to your body just reacting to the stress it has been under. My hair did the same approx a month or two after being diagnosed. If you're fairly newly diagnosed, this could be what is causing it. Google 'Telogen Effluvium'.

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed this to, it was coming out in clumps for the first couple of weeks! But as others have said, once my sugars were under control it came back thick and fast. Try not to worry about it as that will make it worse (easy to say I know!)

Olio1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yeah I was diagnosed I'm August and my hair before I was diagnosed was really thick, and I mean thick. The whole stress of being diagnosed and the change of lifestyle Is a big shock to the system. Don't worry about it, your hair will start to thicken up a bit soon. When were you diagnosed?

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed this to, it was coming out in clumps for the first couple of weeks! But as others have said, once my sugars were under control it came back thick and fast. Try not to worry about it as that will make it worse (easy to say I know!)
Hi Beckie thanks for this. Did you take any extra supplements? I think it has stopped falling out but its still thinner at the ends.

Abby's

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yeah I was diagnosed I'm August and my hair before I was diagnosed was really thick, and I mean thick. The whole stress of being diagnosed and the change of lifestyle Is a big shock to the system. Don't worry about it, your hair will start to thicken up a bit soon. When were you diagnosed?
Thanks! I was diagnosed in August 2014. You have just been diagnosed recently! How are you finding it?

Olio1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! I was diagnosed in August 2014. You have just been diagnosed recently! How are you finding it?
No Worries! Yeah, i guess it was a bit of a shock initially but have come to terms with it pretty quickly! Just finding out now that i have to eat little and often to keep my levels stable but yeah not too bad thanks :)