Pumps!

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All, I'm thinking of looking into trying a pump...can you all recommend your favs please??

I have some ideas of the ones I want to discuss with my docs, but I'd like to get as much info as poss and thought actual users would be a good place to start

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: 2 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Do you know what your Hospital/Clinic choices are?

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Omnipod, sticks on body managed by PDM can swim/ shower with it on .Set and reset doses via PDM . Have to test before insulin and programme carbs to be eaten, will adjust dose automatically. Works well for me since August when I got it.

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's the one I have my heart set on..due to the lack of wires mainly, not sure I can get it on nhs though which is why I'm looking at others too. Do you get it on nhs? Was your control poor before it was it easy to get??

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I got on Nhs depends on area you live in, what they can supply. Control has improved since pod. But still need to improve last Hba1c 7.4

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Forget to mention Daphne course needed to be attended first. Then got trial of pump using sterile water. Took about 2 months from trial to get.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
At my clinic the omnipod was not 1 that was on offer but the DSN was going to push for it, but in the end I went on the Insight pump.

Read some relly bad reviews about it aftyer I chose it but (touch wood) seems ok at the moment, the handset is a tad slow at times but I find a reboot speeds it up a little

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
to get a pump you must have attended daffyd/dafne course also meet the nice guidelines more info on the nice guidelines here: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta151

some things before going on the pump. I 100% think everyone should be entitled to the pump and its fantastic :]

DKA You more prone for dka as you only have fast acting on bored don't let this phase you though, yes dka is scary but as long as you keep a eye on sugars ect then you should be fine.

it's alot of work & getting used to it thankfully the work is okay what i'm putting up with 2 hours tests every day & through the night, will change when rates are done properly. Getting used to something being attached to you may be difficult but for some like me i just took it and wear it with pride ~.~

what pump i use: I use the insight pump @ first it was difficult to adjust to all the errors ect i was getting, but thankfully roche fixed it by sending me replacement pump & handset.

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Type1lad...thanks for your I depth answer. I've been on a dafydd course when diagnosed and I am involved with Diabetes Uk so pretty up to date on the adjustments needed to switch to a pump...I have a libre so check my bloods continuously so DKA isn't a big worry for me.

My doctors have been trying to get me on a pump for sometime despite my hba1c being 41 to 43...guess I'm just a lucky one with good docs. :)

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Type1lad...thanks for your I depth answer. I've been on a dafydd course when diagnosed and I am involved with Diabetes Uk so pretty up to date on the adjustments needed to switch to a pump...I have a libre so check my bloods continuously so DKA isn't a big worry for me.

My doctors have been trying to get me on a pump for sometime despite my hba1c being 41 to 43...guess I'm just a lucky one with good docs. :)
if you're being offered one take it please! >.< people like me had to fight for 3 and half years it's an amazing thing & will give you more flexibility >.<

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know..I hear the battles people have to get one all the time and it baffles me?! Same with education courses, I was put on one straight away and yet hear people who have waited years for one?!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope it goes well for you Sking 89, I wish I'd tried one years ago. Good luck, you have to work hard initially to get Basel correct ( lots of BM ) but you sound motivated and that's what counts!

Sking89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks :). I'm pretty motivated and thought maybe 2016 is the time to focus on getting and learning how to use a pump. Mainly I want to be able to be more spontaneous and not have to eat before a walk etc :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an Animas Vibe and I'm very pleased with it. It's waterproof, looks good, uses Luer sets (so more flexible in choice of sets) and is very intuitive to use.

There are lots of threads in the Pump section about different pumps so I suggest you have a read of some of those. I also found it useful looking at the manufacturers' sites, and at videos on YouTube where you can see the pumps on/with actual people so you get a better feel for them.

My pump has tubing, but I've never found it an issue at all. You can't see it and it doesn't get caught on things. I like being able to disconnect my pump, which tubing allows you to do. I also like the fact I have the pump and that's it - no remote, no PDA. For me, simple is better :)

I've used a pump for almost 12 years.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So difficult to recommend a pump when you've only had experience of using just the one, but I've been using the Omnipod Pump for nearly a year now and have to say it's a great little pump, as @Heathero says it's a tubeless pump and you almost forget you are wearing the Pod.

The only limitation I can think of with using the Omnipod Pump is the insulin reservoir, it only holds 200 units so if your on high insulin doses then it may not be the pump you, however if you were on high insulin doses and wanted a Omnipod Pump then you could still have the option of changing the Pod every 2 days instead of 3, but as the Pod's are around £20 a time I doubt that any pump clinic would be keen on that idea.

Good luck @Sking89 and do lets us know which pump you go for,

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So difficult to recommend a pump when you've only had experience of using just the one, but I've been using the Omnipod Pump for nearly a year now and have to say it's a great little pump, as @Heathero says it's a tubeless pump and you almost forget you are wearing the Pod.

The only limitation I can think of with using the Omnipod Pump is the insulin reservoir, it only holds 200 units so if your on high insulin doses then it may not be the pump you, however if you were on high insulin doses and wanted a Omnipod Pump then you could still have the option of changing the Pod every 2 days instead of 3, but as the Pod's are around £20 a time I doubt that any pump clinic would be keen on that idea.

Good luck @Sking89 and do lets us know which pump you go for,
the insight prefilled only hold 160, and the self fills only 200 >.< i'm thinking of swapping to self filled though as im using majortiy of my insulin in 2 days and a half .

onthegow

Sking89. I am 5 days into the omnipod and 18months waiting for nhs to approve. In the 18 months I still researched the pumps to make sure it was the one for me. I am so glad I chose it 5 days and i forget it's there. I'm still in the set up phase and insulin absorption is amazing. I was on 1u- 5g of food. I'm now on 1-8. Although I have had a few hypos it's worth it. Good luck and the pump needs to fit your lifestyle.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I have Medtronic Minimed 640G and I absolutely love it, never had any issues with it. :) I would try out as many as you can to see which ones you prefer. I was going to get the Animas Vibe but was offered the newer 640g at last minute so took a chance on it and it's great. Got a lovely clear colour screen too and works with a CGM if you need that capability. The vibe works with a CGM too. I tried the Omnipod as I thought that would be my choice (no tubes) but I really didn't get on with it. The pods were a bit bulky for my liking and I was worried I'd catch it and rip it off and then have to do a full set and insulin change. Oh and I found the canula was really painful when I took it out (lots of bleeding). As I said, try as many out as you can and see which you prefer. Best thing I ever did was go on my pump! :) Good luck! :)