GYM & BLOOD GLUCOSE LEVELS

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I'm just wondering what should BG levels be before you go and do a 40minute HIIT session? Eg Spinning
Mine were 6.7 and I personally felt that I should be higher but I had already reduced my TBR to 30%. I think I'm just afraid :/ I am getting irregular hypos at the moment as we are still adjusting my new pump (which I love!!)
Anybody who is a gym goer give me any advice please?

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nicola, I go into spin in the 6s. I reduce by 50% half hour before. But it can change depending on the time am or pm. I test before and every 15 minutes during the class. Love spin!

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mrs Vimes - thanks for the tip. Question - if you start to rise during your lesson do you correct or wait and see do you drop?

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My first time I let it go up to see what happened then corrected afterwards. I now correct by 0.5 to 1.0 units as the class is going on if it is heading into the 8s as sometimes I get a liver dump. (Not always). But I've only do this now because I have a good feel for how it will play out after all the testing.
I have on occasion made a pugs ear out of it and had to sit in the gym cafe waiting to be safe to drive home.
If I'm heading straight to work from the gym, I may be very conservative with my corrections so driving is safe. Then I'll correct 'proper' in work.

Pigs ear

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. It's such a "hard work" illness. It is constant! Roll on a cure....and fast!!

Reactions: 2 people

mindy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
I'm just wondering what should BG levels be before you go and do a 40minute HIIT session? Eg Spinning
Mine were 6.7 and I personally felt that I should be higher but I had already reduced my TBR to 30%. I think I'm just afraid :/ I am getting irregular hypos at the moment as we are still adjusting my new pump (which I love!!)
Anybody who is a gym goer give me any advice please?
HI, I tend to aim for around 10mmls before I visit the gym.With the meal before activity I only bolus for 60% of the total carbohydrate I consume thus leaving enough glucose/energy on board to work out. However I do make sure that I am physically active within 2 hours of doing this.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was told about 8/9 but any higher than 12 u shouldnt exercise. I like mine bout 9 before spin as find it drops by 2/3 units as its vigorous.,

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I would have thought above 12 exercise was essential. I know some kinds can make it rise but more usually it drops

Dave...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nicola. Also check out: http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/exercise-and-diabetes/
I'd typically start a spin class around 6-7 as levels generally rise with anaerobic excercise (starting around 12mmols would not be good as it could put you at risk of excercising with ketones..), and then levels typically fall afterwards. Unfortunately there are so many factors to consider, it requires a lot of testing - ideally CGM to analyse results if possible?
All the best.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Many thousands of diabetics and non-diabetics deliberately exercise while ketonuric on a regular basis. Professional cyclists included.

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NicolaN I've always gone with exercising with BG under 13 as a general rule, I can't recall where I heard that from though. When I exercise My blood levels generally increase (I do resistance training) so I need to bolus at the gym. With my evening meal following exercise, I bolus (and correct) with half dosage