Facebook groups

SarahB97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know any good Facebook support groups for younger people?

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is one called Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes, not exactly the busiest group though, however I don't think there is much around at the minute.

Reactions: 2 people

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

Not quite what you're looking for but my friend created this page. It's called diabetic fitness success.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/886470334765929/

I saw your other thread too, you can still go out clubbing with diabetes, I do it often (every weekend :eek:), if you want some tips, let me know :happy:

SarahB97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

Not quite what you're looking for but my friend created this page. It's called diabetic fitness success.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/886470334765929/

I saw your other thread too, you can still go out clubbing with diabetes, I do it often (every weekend :eek:), if you want some tips, let me know :happy:

Thank you! I'll take a look and yer I've only ever had a bad experience with drinking once (at someone's house) but I don't really want it to happen again especially now I'm going out in town so some tips would be really helpful

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you! I'll take a look and yer I've only ever had a bad experience with drinking once (at someone's house) but I don't really want it to happen again especially now I'm going out in town so some tips would be really helpful
how old are you sarah? >.<

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This is what I do if I'm going out on the weekend. I am not a doctor and everyone is different so these are just tips that could help you. I don't ever take insulin out with me and barely take my testing kit (sometimes I do if I know I'm having a long day of drinking).

• On the day that I decide to go out, I reduce my background insulin by about 25%.
  • 1-2 hours before I start drinking I have a carby meal, i.e potato wedges with chicken. I will take maybe an unit less of fast acting insulin to ensure that I am at around 7-8mmol before starting drinking, I dont like going out too low as it gives you no room for error.
  • I only drink vodka with diet coke (boring I know) but you can drink a lot of spirits
    • Rum (Captain Morgan, etc)
    • Gin (Tanqueray, Beefeater, etc)
    • Tequila
    • Whiskey (Jack Daniel’s, etc.)
    • Scotch
    • Brandy
    • Cognac (Hennessy, etc.)
  • I carry some sweets in my pocket at all times, haribos, refreshers or even glucose tabs. I just munch on a couple of these about 3 hours into the night. Just in case I've started to fall, if you forget, just buy a normal coke. (I've sometimes had these for free when mentioned about being diabetic). Dancing will lower your levels so the more you dance, the more sweets you should eat.
  • After the night I always buy some chips from the kebab or chippy and eat it without insulin as you will drop overnight and the food should cover you. If you do find yourself high after a night out, don't treat it with insulin either.
  • Drink a glass of water once in a while, just in case your BG does go high, your kidneys will have something to work with.
  • You need to remember, having high BG will have the opposite effect on your night out, you will probably be irritated, tired, weak and sometimes angry. I know a diabetic that drinks anything he wants and he becomes very aggressive when drunk. But if you stick to my tips you should have a great night.
  • The day after you will probably be lower than usual again, remember to reduce your background insulin on this day too and eat plenty of carbs. On days like this I can get away with eating small amount of carbs without any insulin. Be wary when giving fast acting insulin as you will not need half as much as usual until about 5pm.
These are all I can think of at the moment, but if I think of something else I'll let you know. Any questions, give me shout.

Last edited by a moderator:

aidanbrown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 two weeks ago, and prior to this used to be similar, I used to go out every weekend and I am pretty worried as to how this will impact on my social life! I love beer but know it is carby, and when I asked my nurses what I should be drinking they said whatever I wanted, including beer, so long as I ate before and after drinking.

Have any of you been on nights out where you drink beer? For nye I ended up having about 5 pints, but drinking spirits in between, and had a lot of food when I got back and woke up with a BG level of 19.9, however this did drop to normal levels by dinner.

I appreciate any help!

SarahB97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what I do if I'm going out on the weekend. I am not a doctor and everyone is different so these are just tips that could help you. I don't ever take insulin out with me and barely take my testing kit (sometimes I do if I know I'm having a long day of drinking).

• On the day that I decide to go out, I reduce my background insulin by about 25%.
  • 1-2 hours before I start drinking I have a carby meal, i.e potato wedges with chicken. I will take maybe an unit less of fast acting insulin to ensure that I am at around 7-8mmol before starting drinking, I dont like going out too low as it gives you no room for error.
  • I only drink vodka with diet coke (boring I know) but you can drink a lot of spirits
    • Rum (Captain Morgan, etc)
    • Gin (Tanqueray, Beefeater, etc)
    • Tequila
    • Whiskey (Jack Daniel’s, etc.)
    • Scotch
    • Brandy
    • Cognac (Hennessy, etc.)
  • I carry some sweets in my pocket at all times, haribos, refreshers or even glucose tabs. I just munch on a couple of these about 3 hours into the night. Just in case I've started to fall, if you forget, just buy a normal coke. (I've sometimes had these for free when mentioned about being diabetic). Dancing will lower your levels so the more you dance, the more sweets you should eat.
  • After the night I always buy some chips from the kebab or chippy and eat it without insulin as you will drop overnight and the food should cover you. If you do find yourself high after a night out, don't treat it with insulin either.
  • Drink a glass of water once in a while, just in case your BG does go high, your kidneys will have something to work with.
  • You need to remember, having high BG will have the opposite effect on your night out, you will probably be irritated, tired, weak and sometimes angry. I know a diabetic that drinks anything he wants and he becomes very aggressive when drunk. But if you stick to my tips you should have a great night.
These are all I can think of at the moment, but if I think of something else I'll let you know. Any questions, give me shout.

Thank you this is actually really helpful

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you this is actually really helpful

Just added another thing:

• The day after you will probably be lower than usual again, remember to reduce your background insulin on this day too and eat plenty of carbs. On days like this I can get away with eating small amount of carbs without any insulin. Be wary when giving fast acting insulin as you will not need half as much as usual until about 5pm.

Reactions: 3 people