Colds

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Ive found last 2 winters my colds are taking a good week or 2 to clear. Was always a few days before. Is this due to the diabetes?? 2.5 years diagnosed

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes most likely. With being Diabetic (Type 1) comes the rubbish immune system. A cold/flu or viral throat infection can take a good 3 or 4 week in my experience to clear. If it's something you are worried, take it with your GP or DSN.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Donna1 it depends on your blood glucose levels. If you are suffering with high blood glucose levels as a norm, then yes, your immune system may be compromised and a t take a long time for illnesses to clear up. If you maintain a more normal level (sub 7) then they typically take no more time than anyone else, at least in the experience of me and many others on the forum. Just because you have T1 doesn't mean a rubbish immune system.

What I'd note about the last couple of years is that colds have generally been taking longer to clear up (just looking at my non-diabetic colleagues) so I wouldn't necessarily put it down to your diabetes myself.

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Depends on blood sugar levels as well as the type of virus . There is a dreadful cold/chest infection doing the rounds at the moment and it's taking some non diabetics a month to get rid of the cough.

david6026

Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and usually my sugars are spot on but its knocked them this time they all over the show ...