Protein products & gym routine

Jellybaby98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know if we can have protein products? I want to add protein shakes and foods into my diet and gym routine but am unsure if i can take it as i am type one diabetic

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can and you probably should! But you need to take the carbs and protein into account when you calculate your insulin requirements.
It is probably best to go to the Sport and Exercise section on the forum, where lots of T1 exercisers hang out, and you can get details there.

Reactions: 2 people

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jellybaby98 I use a protein shake called PhD Diet Whey - it's very low on carbs and have been using it for about 6 months so far with no issues

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sure hope so! I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein. I have no affiliation with the brand but it's easy to find, tastes awesome, and it's not hard to find on sale (at least here in the US). I look for whey ISOLATE which should be very low in carbs and void of soy protein (many sources say men should avoid large quantities of soy protein)

Casein protein powder can be especially beneficial because it's often much lower in carbs than milk is, yet it still digests very slow (perfect for drinking just before bed).

Either way, I say it all the time on this forum and I'll say it again: supplements are ultimately a waste of money for most people. Many people make the mistake of assuming supplements will help them achieve their fitness/health goals quicker, but that's not always true.

Supplements fill in the gaps to an imperfect diet, but if there aren't any gaps (deficiencies) you're just wasting your money. Again, I do use protein powders and some basic supplements, but I spend very little money on them.

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@dylt1 do you have any recommendations as to with flavours are the best or ones to avoid?