Aaaaargh

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So today the OH has had a grand total of 22g of carbs, that was at 9 this morning. He had protein only lunch and a snack of nuts around 3.30 (2.30uk time), he's just checked his BG pre dinner and it's 9.7!! It's now almost 8pm here so that's four and a half hours since the nuts.

Feeling frustrated and that is nothing compared to what he's feeling!

Reactions: 2 people

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, this was meant to go into general chat!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Sorry, this was meant to go into general chat!
Have you found the Scream thread, good for having a blow out. Welcome to the forum

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How much protein did he have at lunchtime and how many nuts did he have as too much of either of these will raise your BS and keep it elevated for longer.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @4ratbags. Nut also contain carbs (some have quite high quantities) so you must include them in daily carbs totals. Protein can also be turned into glucose. Also if he wasn't eating much fat, in the absence of other fuel his liver may have decided to do a dump to provide a bit more energy. So there's possibly a combination of things there that could be the cause.

Robbity

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you sure he's T2? There are many cases of mis-diagnosed T1. What meds is he on? What is the BMI? If not overweight then consider T1 as a possibility and discuss with the GP.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did find that any nuts other than almonds or coconut did rise my bs quite a lot ... did you count the carbs in the nuts ?

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nuts were hazelnuts and almonds, he didn't have many so no more than a couple of grams carb wise (unlike his usual intake of nuts, I use nuts in cooking so he eats a lot but we count the carbs in them). Six eggs at lunch time, scrambled with butter.

His diet is high in fats/oils. He has coconut milk instead of dairy milk, high oil content in the nuts he eats, I make high fat dips with oils to keep his fat content up. He's usually on about three time the calories an adult male should be on and I keep his carbs below 60g on a daily basis.
His favourite are cashews (typical that they contain huge amounts in comparison to other nuts) but I restrict them so we have a firm grip on the amount he gets.

It's hard work for me and I'm a qualified nutritional therapist who's have spent over twenty years managing special diets for my sons who have to stick to a severely restricted diet. How the heck do people with no dietary or nutrition knowledge cope!

Daibell, we're getting him checked for type 1.5 as suggested in another thread. Current weight is just over eight and a half stones and he's skeletal.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There may have been too much protein as 6 eggs is a lot. If I eat 2 my BS is still elevated after 2 hrs.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I have a weird reading like that (ie quite high when all I have eaten is protein and fat, low carb) I re-test - more often than not I get a different more realistic reading!

I think the protein thing must differ widely between individuals - I can't imagine eggs raising my BG (licorice allsorts - yes! Sadly lol). Which makes sense if it's about how your body converts protein into glucose, if at all? (There has to be some threshold, no?) All we type twos - we know our blood glucose regulation is mucked up somehow - and some might have a mucked up protein to glucose signalling system? Or just a different protein tolerance? (Based on body type differences?)

Which brings us back to the eating and metering to check out a food's influence on you personally. Eat cheese regularly, and eat and meter, then stop eating it and check. Ditto any high protein food?