A and e

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys. I'm feeling really ill and sat in a and e waiting line. Feel like I might pass out. One hour wait for triage Nurse. Shouldn't we be seen sooner?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ill in what way? Do they know you have diabetes? How's your blood sugar?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do reception know you are type 1? What is your sugar and keytones? Some a&E places have over four hour waits if a walk in.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hey guys. I'm feeling really ill and sat in a and e waiting line. Feel like I might pass out. One hour wait for triage Nurse. Shouldn't we be seen sooner?
Perhaps check your blood sugars and treat if low, if not then I'm afraid you will have to sit and wait your turn just like everyone else.

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I told them I'm type one with high blood sugar but they didn't ask what it was :(

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Can we ask what it is?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah I told them I'm type one with high blood sugar but they didn't ask what it was :(
Well unless you have very high ketones and on the way to DKA then the attitude would be wait your turn as the only treatment on offer would be more insulin and in all honesty if you are under a hospital team then ring your DSN for advice.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Emmotha At least you've seen triage now.

I hope you're feeling better soon :)

Edited to add - keep testing. When I was in hospital I kept all my diabetes kit with me, including glucose, and was able to do my own tests.

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Seen the triage nurse.

@CarbsRok chill out. I'm not feeling well came here for advice not a lecture.
A&E are for accidents and emergencies, as by the sound of it you are neither the hint was wait your turn like everyone else. :rolleyes:

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A&E are for accidents and emergencies, as by the sound of it you are neither the hint was wait your turn like everyone else. :rolleyes:
Err how would you know? I've not said why I'm here. Don't be so judgemental.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Err how would you know? I've not said why I'm here. Don't be so judgemental.
I was not being judgemental at all but as you can use your mobile/tablet and can sit and moan about the wait and converse with everyone on the net then obviously you are not at deaths door :p

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was not being judgemental at all but as you can use your mobile/tablet and can sit and moan about the wait and converse with everyone on the net then obviously you are not at deaths door :p
I wasn't moaning I was asking for advice!!! Get a grip. People like you are the reason I've pretty much stopped using this forum. Hope u feel proud making someone who's come on feeling unwell worse. Great work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Seen the triage nurse.

@CarbsRok chill out. I'm not feeling well came here for advice not a lecture.

Hi that happened to me, when I smashed up my wrist, my friend who took me to A & E was very concerned and said I am type 1 diabetic and the receptionist told her I have to wait my turn like everyone else, but I wouldn't of mentioned it, in too much flipping pain !! :inpain: Only if we were at deaths door or brought in by ambulance, then it might be a little quicker ( obviously monitored on arrival ) How are you now, can you say why you were in
A & E ?
Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I wasn't moaning I was asking for advice!!! Get a grip. People like you are the reason I've pretty much stopped using this forum. Hope u feel proud making someone who's come on feeling unwell worse. Great work

You are probably feeling a bit fragile and frustrated, have a nice cup of tea or coffee, count to 10 and take lots of deep breaths........................

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you're feeling better, @Emmotha.

Pre diagnosis my GP did a finger-prick test, and when it read 29mmol he sent me straight to A&E. I had to wait 2-3 hours. I think unless you're literally dying and causing a huge scene they just make you wait like everyone else.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
But we ARE like everyone else! The triage system is there to prioritise, and those operating it are much better equipped to do so than the waiting patients, however dreadful they (the patients) feel. What gets up my nose is the people who clog up the system by dialling 999 for trivial things, and/or bringing the entire family to A&E!
Emmotha, hope you're seen, and made comfortable, soon.

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you helpful ones. Yes turns out t1s can be prioritised as I didn't have to wait that long in the end and saw a very nice doctor.
I'll return to not using this forum anymore though. What a shame. I don't see the need for jumping to conclusions and judging people.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you helpful ones. Yes turns out t1s can be prioritised as I didn't have to wait that long in the end and saw a very nice doctor.
I'll return to not using this forum anymore though. What a shame. I don't see the need for jumping to conclusions and judging people.

In life..................Remember, those that matter, wont mind, and those that mind, don't matter.
Sleep on it, brush yourself off, chin up and carry on............... all the best RRB

Reactions: 9 people