Suggestions/Tips for sport and exercise.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys I started a thread I. Type one about sport and how I have a big challenge with it. This can make me feel low because I so want to. I've written o. There what I do and there was a suggestion to ask I. This section of any tips

elaineadams

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I am type 2, but know the problems of fitting in exercise with a full time job and a lot of voluntary work. I try to combine exercise with the daily commute to and from work, so in the spring, summer and until the clocks change in autumn, I get the local train part way to work, then cycle the last 6 miles, coming home I cycle 6 miles to the station to pick up the train to go the final leg. If I cycle all the way it is 10 miles, but 4 miles are on narrow roads without footpaths, but vehicles that travel faster than the speed limit. In the winter months I try to go to a gym class in the local gym during the lunch break 3 times a week, but sometimes I have to be in meetings, so its not really consistent. However, I do go out for walks, and because I do not have a car, I walk anywhwere local.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always have a form of glucose available encase of a sudden low.

If I'm running I usually test every 5k to see how the glucose levels are looking..seem to drop quite sharply between 3.5 and 5k so usually take on some glucose tablets around that time. Just trial and error but keep persevering :)

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I told you to ask here so I'll start! :) and hopefully others will contribute their experience too.

You can split exercise into two types, with two different effects on blood glucose: aerobic exercise reduces your blood sugar; anaerobic increases your blood sugar.

So for anaerobic exercise (weight-lifting, HIIT, etc), you actually may need to give yourself extra insulin. You need to work this out by trial and error. Usually people don't do anaerobic exercise for more than about thirty or forty minutes, so you can check what happens the first time and after that give yourself whatever you need in the way of a bolus just before you start or halfway through, in whichever way suits you best. Later on (4-11 hours later) you may need to reduce your next bolus or your basal, as your blood sugar can drop as your muscles take up more glucose as they recover.

For T1s doing aerobic exercise there are two routes basically - either increase your carb intake when exercising (maintenance of weight) or reduce your insulin (if you are trying to lose weight). Obviously taking in more carbs is the easiest. You just exercise, test before and then every twenty to thirty minutes and add carbs.

The second is a bit harder. If you exercise within a couple of hours of your last bolus, reduce the bolus by 50%. You may still need some carbs, depending on what you do and for how long. Or you may also reduce your basal. Some people say to keep your basal low for sixty to ninety minutes after you stop exercising. I don't do that. I turn it back to normal immediately or I my blood sugar gets high later.

Another option is to exercise four hours after your last bolus - no more bolus on board - and only reduce your basal.

All of the actual reductions depend on the person, the level of activity/effort etc, so you really need to learn step by step for yourself. Both Diabetic Athlete's Handbook and Think Like a Pancreas have charts suggesting reduced dosages for different levels of activity/lengths of time etc. But they are starting points for each of us.

There are also finer points. For example, as you get used to a particular activity, it drops your blood sugar less. Also you can consume a mixture of carbs and fat if you want a snack to boost your blood sugar for a longer time while you exercise. Some people eat bread and peanut butter, for example. (I just did a ninety-minute walk fueled by pizza today :) Depending on that time you exercise you may also get a later drop in blood sugar so beware of night time hypos after exercise. That's often when your liver and muscles refill their glycogen stores. Personally I favor a cup full of low fat yogurt before bed because it has some carbs and also protein. Other people may have other favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed type 1 in October and honeymooning at the moment. I have 8U lantus and 1:25 novorapid. I'm quite struggling at the moment, not wanting to put weight on trying not to eat extra at night. I went for an hour walk after breakfast and felt a little odd 45 mins in, checked my blood sugar as not sure if hangover or hypo! 2.9. Jelly babies, which I'm beginning to hate, saved the day

Have mastered a 25 minute swim making sure I am above 7 before I start but want to get back to what I used to do and am struggling.

In Feb I'm skiing for 2 days and have no idea what will happen, will prepare for hypo.

After doing Snowden and Scarfel this year I really want to do Ben Nevis but that many hours walking blows my mind how I'd manage it.

Night time hypos have been scary, so leaving high at nigh but wake with restless legs and hot! Will I ever get it right?

All suggestions gratefully received, low fat yogurt seems good idea, not sure it would be sufficient though,?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@debsugs, there's some great information & advice on Runsweet, it was set-up for people like yourself who have type 1 diabetes and enjoy their sporting activities:

http://www.runsweet.com/