How old were you when you first diagnosed with type 1?? And how long do you have it??

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 12 years old and coming up to 27 years in February 2016. I hated the world, hated my parents for taking me to hospital. I had severe DKA, lost half my bodyweight over 6 months, dire thirst, frequent urination, bed wetting, vomitting. I have vivid memories of throwing up in the school sink at lunchtime then in the afternoon desperate to get to the water fountain for a drink. DKA looking back on it, your body is in the process of dieing, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Oh yes I mentioned on the post Diabetes Birthday, the Frank Bruno Vs Tyson fight was on that night I was admitted in hospital on 25th Feb 1989.

I used to use syringes and draw insulin out of a bottle, then blood tests were on strips which you had to wait two minutes then check against a colour scale on the side of the tube.

Almost 3 decades on and i'm still alive and kicking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

jacksop87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sugar free red bull and the needles become second nature. i have a fear of other people giving me needles though.

I don't know why, but I've started to weird myself out with the injections! Been fine for the last two weeks with it but the last two days I keep struggling. Had to get my girlfriend to do it last night I got that weirded out!

Are sugar free red bulls ok? I would have thought the caffeine and taurine wouldn't be good for a diabetic?

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know why, but I've started to weird myself out with the injections! Been fine for the last two weeks with it but the last two days I keep struggling. Had to get my girlfriend to do it last night I got that weirded out!

Are sugar free red bulls ok? I would have thought the caffeine and taurine wouldn't be good for a diabetic?

Yeah all that caffeine can drive you nuts if you get hooked on it, for a couple of months i got addicted to the sugar free monster drinks, 4x 500ml cans a day every other day in the week plus tea and coffee. It can have random effects on your insulin sensitivity, coming down off that was nasty, i got severe pounding headaches for a week or two after slowing down/stopping my caffeine intake. Now i just drink one cup of tea a day and hot cocoa, never thought i'd get away from caffeine addiction, even tea i used to have 6-8 cups a day.

jacksop87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was drinking a can a day of full sugar energy drinks. My GP went bonkers and sent me straight to A&E when I was first diagnosed! I only went for a check up I had no idea.

I had a screaming headache all of last week and some weird readings but they have levelled out now and are dropping slowly too. Don't think I'll touch them ever again but interesting to know sugar free ones are 'permissible'.

hello123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 3 years old in March 1972 when I was diagnosed. Am now 47 and will have been Type 1 for 44 years in March 2016. On Novorapid and Tresiba pens. I use DAFNE - was the best course I have ever done!!! Was a glass syringe and Urine tests ( Clinitest) when I was diagnosed!!! No blood sugar meters then!!!
My story on same lines

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I was 33 years old have it 2.5 years. Was jus comin to end of my nursing course. Found the diagnosis hard to take but ye get used to it. As much as i hate it i cant remember life now without it.

Reactions: 2 people

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
I was 10, I've had it for 6 years now.

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
I was 38 (1991) and was recovering from a bad flu virus, could not stop drinking/peeing. Was BGL 24 when went to the local GP and was put in insulin straight away, type 1 from the beginning!!!!!!

Yeppa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Myself
I'm 18, diagnosed 8 months ago. It basically destroyed my life, because doctors said I can't work in my profession.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 18, diagnosed 8 months ago. It basically destroyed my life, because doctors said I can't work in my profession.

That sucks especially if it's something you're passionate about. Unfortunately type 1 is classed as to high risk in certain lines of work. You're young, I was to busy getting drunk and going out to night clubs at your age, I never had a profession until my mid twenties then studied for 5 years whilst working full time.

You'll find a new direction, it'll take time to figure it out.

lizholder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was 44 years old when I was told I had Type 1 in 2014 bit of a life changer

lely

I was 30. pregnant with my son. 9 years this month although can't remember date. I remember reading a post somewhere, shortly after diagnosis,from a lady who said she was celebrating 40 years of being a diabetic and her son had recently been diagnosed he was 11 at the time so that boy would now be 20. the post she wrote was so inspiring and comforting as I didn't know anything about diabetes and assumed it was basically the beginning of the end for me. whoever she was reading that helped me so much as I hope these posts will for others newly diagnosed.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diagnosed type 1 aged 3years old. 29 now so 26 years. Can't remember life without it so I feel lucky haven't had to adjust my life, this is just a way of life for me, I feel for the people who have to completely change their lives, must be hard

Reactions: 6 people