Can you tell when your number is high?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As a non diabetic I do know what if feels like when my blood sugar gets low. This can happen to anyone. I'm curious if anyone can tell me what symptoms there are, if any, when your number gets high. I'm not referring to when you are already producing ketones but before it gets to that level. Are there any warning signs?

www.myinvisblehands.com

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me I get itchy dry eyes as the first sign.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a T2D of some 8 years now, and I cannot tell.whenI have high bgl, even on those occcasions when my meter is giving a ketones warning (based on glucose level not by detecting actual ketones). I feel no different unless I go low.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a T2D of some 8 years now, and I cannot tell.whenI have high bgl, even on those occcasions when my meter is giving a ketones warning (based on glucose level not by detecting actual ketones). I feel no different unless I go low.

Yep see that's what I've seen too. The lows are easy to diagnose whilst the highs are almost impossible.

Thank you.

www.myinvisiblehands.com

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really?? That's interesting I've never heard that. Thank you! I have a 10 year old daughter who is type 1 and I find the more information I have the better off we are.

www.myinvisiblehands.com
If your daughter is T1D then the symptoms may difer. A mate of mine is T1 and his reaction is to perspire quite noticeably and he gets excitable too. Other than that he too has no idea if he is running high except by doing a test. i can tell when he is high by his behaviour, but he is very unaware. I myself do not perspire when i am high, and I do not seem to get extra pushy or so. As you will discover, all of us diabetics are on different but similar journeys, and what is good for me may not suit anyone else.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As a T1, sandy eyes, a general lethargy, and something I can only describe as the unpleasant going high feeling. Plus I get thirsty.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although we only have a small sample here, we are not seeing much of what used to be the unmutable signs of diabetes, namely thirst that can only be quenched by a sugary drink, and then increased visits to the 'little room', Neither I nor my T1 buddy suffer any of these symptoms. I get blurry eyes,too, but it is not linked to any bgl level. Tim2000 is the first to post about thirst, but does not report the classic insatiable thirst.

Lou73

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I get blurry eyes, thirst, sweats, frequent trips to the toilet and can also have a fast heartbeat. Strangely I also get a chemical smell in my nose. I used to get this before diagnosis and didn't know what was causing it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get blurry eyes, thirst, sweats, frequent trips to the toilet and can also have a fast heartbeat. Strangely I also get a chemical smell in my nose. I used to get this before diagnosis and didn't know what was causing it.
Thank you for sharing this. At least now you know when it is happening. I have always wondered why the good book describes those symptoms, and yet I and my buddy have to rely on our meters. But as a T2 I was until recently restricted to 50 strips a year.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can feel it in my muscles when I'm too high. It feels kind of like my blood is too thick to circulate properly, really achy. Also really dry mouth/sticky feeling saliva. Bit bizarre I know

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will get chest and stomach pains, a headache and I have difficulty breathing.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anything above 12, and like MrsB, I start to feel 'thick' my legs feel heavy, achy and slow, if I don't correct then, then blurred vision, likely more trips to the toilet and thirst kick in.

As for going low, Mrs Slip has a knack of knowing and usually says I am low when I'm just thinking maybe I'm a little low/thinking I'll do a test in a minute etc. Not sure how she does it, she says it's the way I talk/act - even when I'm sat watching TV doing nothing she knows! There are occaisions when shes wrong but they are very few and far between.

Reactions: 2 people

jacksop87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same as tim2000s. It's a general feeling for me. I always say the same thing, "I feel grim" and that's the signal usually that I'm high. It usually comes with a dull headache, thirst and apathy. My girlfriend has started to pick up on it now and tells me to test so the symptoms must be visible... Either that or I'm whinging about it more!

jacksop87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I used to get a taste of acetone at the back of my mouth pre- diagnosis. Could sometimes smell it. It came with some almighty bad breath too. Gone now though.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling grim, as @jacksop87 says. Aching tired eyes, lack of energy, a stinging sensation in mouth and throat. Yuk. I try to avoid it like the plague it is.

Louise M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The misinformation out there about diabetes and misunderstanding of difference between Type1 and 2 .
Like others have said just feeling yuck. As a rule over 10 and i get dry /funny taste in mouth , and a headache .

lisa mcaneny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't like meat .
As a non diabetic I do know what if feels like when my blood sugar gets low. This can happen to anyone. I'm curious if anyone can tell me what symptoms there are, if any, when your number gets high. I'm not referring to when you are already producing ketones but before it gets to that level. Are there any warning signs?
Hi, my blood sugar levels are 29/18.i get really bad headache,and sleep a lot.my body won't take the insulin.my doctor I'd very good I can phone him anytime.
www.myinvisblehands.com