Headaches

SarahB97

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So for ages I was only doing 1/2 injections a day and about the same amount of blood tests a week, I'm trying to get back on track and have been doing all my injections and bloods! My bloods are all over the place and I keep getting these really heavy headaches. I've taken headache tablets but they don't seem to be working.

Any suggestions of how to stop them?

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you be a bit dehydrated? Try drinking a bit more water.

Great to see you are trying to get back on track.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When my blood sugar is high, I get a headache.
Especially, in the morning when my fasting level is high, the headache is so severe that my eyes are watering.
Paracetamol helps a little. I prefer the Panadol Extra ones which I dilute in water. They work within 10-15 minutes.

However, when my blood sugar levels are low, and I mean really low, I get migraines.
And I don't just mean a bad headache. I mean migraines with the whole shabang that comes along.
Throbbing pain on one side of the head and the face, the type of pulsing pain...
Sensitivity to light
Nausea and vomiting
Pins and needles sensation on my arms, tongue and face
Vision loss
Speech problems...
... and then, I pass out...
Feels like I am having a stroke...

For these cases, my doctor had prescribed Imigran tablets. They work fast but, they ruin my stomach and I feel like my brain is not functioning properly for 2 days...So, I would not recommend these...

I agree with Robert, make sure you drink lots of water, that usually prevents headaches.
If you work with computers and you stare at the screen for long hours then, try to take breaks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Excellent news @SarahB97

Hopefully once your bg levels stabilised your headaches will subside, but to get some stability you need to work on getting your basal dose right above all else, good luck and hope your good progress continues.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i use to suffer with headaches alot, but i think that was me being high 17-20 constantly with nothing bringing it down.
I'm now on the pump and they've seem to gone but try & get levels in range and it should come down also drink plenty of fluid / water to keep hydrated :]

Cassandra13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get major headaches when my BG swings too much. Going from really high to normal or going low to high. I did some basil testing and adjustments recently and it really helped my control and stopped the swings. My headaches are much better now

Reactions: 4 people

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up with a bad headache this morning. I was 10.2 before bed and done a correction and woke up 4.6 so not a massive swing. I seem to get headaches quite a lot no matter how good my control is - so I feel your frustration!