Bolus ratio calculations

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, there's so much information in regards to basal tests out there and I've pretty much worked out the correct dosage. (a few more basal tests required) Then I will be moving on to my bolus insulin. I can't seem to find much information in respect of working out ratios or is this just trial and error? I understand ratios vary depending on the time of day. I also low carb so bolus 50% for protein. I was on 1:12, however after getting my basal in check I'm using 1:10 at the moment. Any advice in respect of working this out would be amazing. Thanks, Adam

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The normal advice is to start at 1:10, then test 2 hours after a meal. The rise should be no more than 2mmol/l if is more adjust up. If it is less, adjust down.

I bolus 50% for protein and this is again a trial and error situation.

If 1:10 is working for you then great!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Adam29, there's an on-line carb counting course which is based on the DAFNE programme, if you register it will cover things like working out your insulin-to-carb ratio's and correction doses, here is a link:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There really aren't any rules. Most start with a ratio of 10gm to 1 unit and then take it from there based on meter readings.

Reactions: 2 people