Cramp

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am type 2, I have been on the LCHF diet for about two months, I have lost two stone but have another one to loose, but I keep getting cramp in my legs, any ideas why?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had this, in my legs and feet, and pretty much always, not just since doing LCHF. Often it seems to be caused by exercise and dehydration and I find I can get rid of cramp by drinking more water.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Make sure you're eating a healthy and varied diet with plenty of low carb/green veggies , drink more fluids and include more salt, potassium and possibly magnesium in your diet. Your kidneys are flushing out more, and you need to be sure you're replacing what's lost.

I used to get very bad cramps when I was on diuretics, and bananas were my postassium replacement food. Since these are a big no-no on a low carb diet, look to other high potassium foods instead.

Robbity

Reactions: 3 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I get cramps in my legs and toes when my blood sugar levels are high. What are your BG numbers like?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Definitely agree with more salt. I started a LCMF diet 4 months ago and started getting cramp in my legs. Never suffered from it before. I learned from the forum it could be lack of salt, so started adding it to my meals. No more cramping :)

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your answers, my BG is not bad normally between 5-6, I will try salt in my diet though.

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't added salt to my food for years! Lol so it will be strange.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember this when summer comes!

I now supplement potassium and magnesium daily, and no longer seem to need the extra salt, but until i started doing this, those cramps were regular in hot weather and fairly often in cooler weather.

:)

Magsx1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your suggestion, I would probably prefer to take supplements than pure salt, so will look at this.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Watch the salt type