Not Type 1 but Type 2

Marky74

I recently had a letter from my consultant it appears after my last set of tests that I could be Type 2. When i see him on the 27th October he will discus replacing my injections with tablets. What should i be aware of and what questions should i ask?

lilibet

I would want to ask

Why they thought your were T1 in first instance (age, ketones?)

If it was ketones, will you be at risk of this again

Are you perhaps T1.5/LADA as there tends to be a quite obvious bit if a difference between T1 and T2 (ie death without insulin!)

Why they now think you are T2

If insulin is working for you why are they returning you to oral meds

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Marky74.

I am in full agreement with Lillibet here. Very odd. As for your question about medication, there are numerous meds. Would get very complicated talking about them all ? Metformin and Gliclazide are common ones, but I would really wait and see then ask if you need more information about a specific drug.

Marky74

I had a Glucagon test, where the glucose was maintained between 5.2 and 5.5 mmol, and my own insulin responded with a C-peptied level of 1305 increasing to 1779.

I also have negative antibodies to the insulin secreting cells.

So it looks they will start me on Metformin.

My orginal blood reading in april was 24 hence my injections.

I am very confused. Hence my questions here.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
HiMarky74.

Tried to find reference ranges for your c-peptide results. This is what I came up with.

A standard reference range is not available for this test. Because reference values are dependent on many factors, including patient age, gender, sample population, and test method, numeric test results have different meanings in different labs. Your lab report should include the specific reference range for your test.

I strongly recommend that you discuss your test results with your doctor.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Marky
A T2 treated as a T1 isn't in any danger. Using insulin will control either. You could quite safely continue with that.
The other way round can lead to BIG trouble.
Do discuss with the doctor, how he came to his original diagnosis and why he's changing it now. Then if you don't get it quite clear, you might want to discuss it with one of the "experts".
Hana

Marky74

i remembering my consultant saying at my first meeting, that he was not 100% sure that i was T1, so did a few tests etc. I posted the results in this thread.