Diet for underweight Type 2

tony71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I am aType2 in the rare category of not being overweight, all the diets seem to focus on weight loss, is there a diet that will actually put weight on,and stll lower blood sugar levels.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I am aType2 in the rare category of not being overweight, all the diets seem to focus on weight loss, is there a diet that will actually put weight on,and stll lower blood sugar levels.

I am very, very slim, and now have gear blood numbers.

For me, I found carbohydrate, not just sugar, raised my bloods, so dropped most of those. Is still had carbs, but mainly from leafy vegetables and dairy (milk, yoghurt for example).

Once I was slim, I started eating more fat and a bit more protein to halt the weight loss and prevent hunger, and that worked for me. I am 160cm tall and weigh 47kg. My weight doesn't shift much. I wouldn't mind nudging 50kg, but it seems like 47kg is where my body wants to stay.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The low carb high fat (LCHF) diet that many of us eat is not necessarily a weight loss diet, it can be used just to manage glucose levels as well. You can maintain or gain weight on it depending on what you eat. Have a look at some of the low carb/ketogenic diet calculators which will give you information on how to adjust your diet according your requirements and circumstances. - e.g. this one. Google will provide you with other calculators if you prefer.

Robbity

Robbity

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF is great for bringing your BS levels down and as stated above it doesnt mean you will lose weight, you just have to work out the right fat ratio.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost all my excess weight on a low carb diet (BMI reduced from 31 to 21) and then there came a time when the weight loss had to stop before I disappeared. I increased the fats and protein. I still kept losing weight, but more slowly, so again I increased the fats until my weight stabilised. I have been stable for 12 months now. You just have to find the right balance, which may take time, or you may find it straight away.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Hi

When I was first diagnosed with Pre-D almost 2 years ago, I found the LCHF diet kept my BS in normal range (after about 4-6 months) but caused me to lose some weight. I was always rather slender, but started looking too thin. (I was unaware at the time that I was a bit hyper thyroid too). I started to add coconut oil & grass fed butter to my coffee (bullet proof coffee it's called) & that added extra calories without adding extra carbs. If you don't want it in your coffee, just have a tbsp of coconut oil as a snack. it will add calories and no carbs. I was scared I'd lose too much weight & have to go on meds. When I also started a low dosage of Methimazole for hyper thyroid, I thankfully gained back 5 pounds. Now I eat under 50 grams carbs/day, weight is normal & my bloods are in the 80's & 90's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Tony, my other half (he's the diabetic one not me) was pretty thin when he was diagnosed ( just under 11 stones) and as far from your typically described type 2 as you could get (healthy diet, plenty of exercise), his BG levels are all over the place and since he was diagnosed he's lost lots of weight unintentionally. He's on a very low carb diet but it certainly isn't low calorie. He eats over half a kilo of nuts per day, has snacks, has coconut milk, cheese, lots of oily fish etc. his total calorie intake per day is almost three times the recommended amount for a man yet he still loses weight (8 stones 8 pounds this morning).

I think there's probably more people around who are thin and diagnosed type 2 than we realise but public health bods tend to push the image that all type 2s are overweight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diz Are you sure your other half is Type 2? He seems to be showing the signs of being Type 1. Unintentional weight loss and BGs all over the place need investigating by his GP. Maybe he should ask for some tests to confirm his diagnosis. Also, perhaps he should be cutting down on those nuts - some can be quite carb-laden.

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Bluetit, we're looking into whether he is type 1.5 (thanks to the forum) and I count the carbs in the nuts, we're meat free so I have to juggle the carb intake from nuts/pulses etc. we do eat lots of oily fish and eggs too though. Lol, that should read 'has snacks'

Oh, and how do I tag someone in a post?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tony, my other half (he's the diabetic one not me) was pretty thin when he was diagnosed ( just under 11 stones) and as far from your typically described type 2 as you could get (healthy diet, plenty of exercise), his BG levels are all over the place and since he was diagnosed he's lost lots of weight unintentionally. He's on a very low carb diet but it certainly isn't low calorie. He eats over half a kilo of nuts per day, has snacks, has coconut milk, cheese, lots of oily fish etc. his total calorie intake per day is almost three times the recommended amount for a man yet he still loses weight (8 stones 8 pounds this morning).

I think there's probably more people around who are thin and diagnosed type 2 than we realise but public health bods tend to push the image that all type 2s are overweight.

Is your partner monitoring blood glucose levels?

If they have high, while on a low carb diet, then push forward with getting tests for 1.5/LADA/MODY
I know being underweight is just as distressing as being over, so you have my sympathy on this!

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can I ask what tablets you are on? I would certainly consider T1.5 as a possibility. Gliclazide may help for a while to enable the body to produce more insulin. Do ask for the tests. I asked my GP for Glic when I didn't respond to Metformin and was still slim and with high blood sugar. He agreed and it worked for a year or two, but then even at max dose it did nothing which proved the point that my pancreas was failing. It may be you aren't T1.5 but Gliclazide is one way of both temporarily treating and helping diagnose T1.5. The two tests GAD and c-peptide are the best diagnosis.

JohnCarty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot - argumentative people, mainly
Hi, great thread, and relevant to me too. I was diagnosed type 2 15 months ago. I am 5 ft 10 (1.7 m) in height. My weight has fallen from 11 stone 4 (71.7kg ) to 9 stone 1 (57.6kg). I'm also vegetarian. Medication is metformin only. I was on Gliclazide for 3 months. but came off twelve months ago due to frequent hypos. Apart from the weight loss, I'm generally in good health, and fairly active. I'm struggling with getting the balance right - I follow a diet which keeps my blood glucose levels at a decent level and my weight drops, or I manage to maintain my weight but the blood glucose level creeps up. I test my blood glucos levels daily, after I get up and before I eat breakfast. The levels have jumped this week, although this is because I've caught a nasty cold virus (which is unusual for me). I've raised this issue with my GP in July and again in December. She has suggested re-introducing gliclazide if I'm still struggling to maintain a balance when I'm next reviewed. Some useful posts on here which I'll certainly be looking into. Thanks.

Diz

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
He checks his BG regularly and gliclazide was the first and only med he's used. It has never brought it down to a very low level so never had a hypo. We were flailing around in the dark a bit until I came on here and it was suggested he may be 1.5. Let's hope tests can solve it