metformin and exercising

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I take metformin and have just joined the gym, I have also just had my meds changed to two in the morning and two at night, does anyone now when it's best to take them, before the gym or afterwards? I ate before the gym this morning and took my tablets with breakfast when I got back. Does anyone know which way round is best to take them? I'm on the modified release tablets, thanks in advance!

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cant say
but when they increased my meds to more i had to get used to them as i had energy drops for a week or 2

Mick1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Titannia,
My advice is to go steady at the Gym until you see if it has any nasty consequences. I was diagnosed in October and put onto Metformin starting 1 per day increasing to 3 per day on a weekly basis. I usually do some mountain walking for about 3 hours once a fortnight, and when I did that 2 weeks after starting the Metformin I had all the symptoms of a hypo half way through the walk. Exercise definitely lowers the BG. I am told that what I experienced was not technically a hypo, just a sudden drop in BG, but it was not a pleasant experience.

Reactions: 2 people

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know what you mean about the hypo thing, I had that a few years ago and it's a horrible experiances, I guess it's a case of trial and error and finding out what works, thanks

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I came off Metformin as it was causing me too many hypos, just running in to get the phone would set me off.

titannia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been to the gym for my first proper session and when I checked my levels after it was 14!