DAUNTING

gilgog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got diagnosed last month and must admit it took a while to sink in and get over the anger of how did I end up with type 2. It was a little bit of a relief though to finally know what was making me feel so rough. I'm finding it hard to take control of my diet as there is so much differing opinions. So is it wise to go down the low carb Road or just to try and eat a balanced diet? I would be greatful for any advice on the subject.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
@daisy1
Welcome to the forum gilgog. The LCHF diet is working for me in the last 12 month I have lost 4st, got my bg levels under control and no longer need any blood pressure meds.
daisy1 will be along soon with some information for you, anything you need to know just ask there's always someone willing to help.

Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. The problem ref Balanced Diet is that no one knows what it means. What you need is a diet that provides all the nutrients your body needs plus takes account of the fact that diabetics are glucose intolerant. This implies a low-carb diet. Using a meter you can find out which foods affect your blood sugar the most, so do get hold of one.

gilgog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou for your reply and since being diagnosed I've been using a meter (even though it's a tad expensive ).

Reactions: 2 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi - I know there are differing opinions on this...but for what it's worth...simply avoiding bread, cereal, pasta, rice and spuds...you'll notice a difference. I am personally in little doubt that a low carb diet is the way forward. All you need to think about really is the fact that doesn't get stressed enough, if at all, by doctors...simple carbs to all intents and purposes turn to sugar in the blood. A balanced diet is perfect - for a non-diabetic, or for a diabetic who doesn't mind his levels not going down so much. Bottom line is - note what you eat and what the reading is before and 2.5 hours after (should be similar if food is not a problem). If it's costly - the strips...best times to learn from are first thing on waking after maybe 8 hours fasting, before a new food and after to see the impact. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@gilgog

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Many people on this forum eat low carb, increasing the fats in their place which are more satisfying. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
Thankyou for your reply and since being diagnosed I've been using a meter (even though it's a tad expensive ).

Try the SD Codefree meter from the Homehealth website. Many of us on here use this as the strips are so much cheaper. £6.99 for a carton of 50......use the discount code 264086 for 5 cartons, or 975833 for 10 cartons and they come down to £5 a carton. Not exactly sure of the price of the meter but it wasn't much more than £10.

Reactions: 11 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. You are in the right place to get yourself on track. LCHF has worked well for me. I no longer have high blood sugar, cholesterol or blood pressure and my nurse is very happy.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF has worked really well for me, and is so much easier to stick to than I was expecting :)

richardc412

I got diagnosed last month and must admit it took a while to sink in and get over the anger of how did I end up with type 2. It was a little bit of a relief though to finally know what was making me feel so rough. I'm finding it hard to take control of my diet as there is so much differing opinions. So is it wise to go down the low carb Road or just to try and eat a balanced diet? I would be greatful for any advice on the subject.
i would say try to eat a healthy balanced diet to begin with. cutting out refined sugars can be tricky enough at the start and going low carb could just be that little too complicated at this early stage. take your time and find out what works best for you.

Fifilabonbon!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, shopping, intolerance, oneupmanship.
Don't panic, as you're going to get conflicting advice from medical professionals and other diabetics! This site will give you sound advice and references. It took me a while to settle on what suits me, but basically I don't think you have any option except to go low carb - that's where the sugars are just as much as straightforward sugar products. I still eat some carbs but make sure they are good choices such as Bergens Soya and Linseed bread, wholewheat stuff etc, but have cut right down, substituting mashed cauliflower for potato etc. Gradually you will pick up guidelines and find out what keeps you balanced. I take it that you are having to buy your own testing strips? It's ridiculous, you need to test to help you stay in control, so strips and meter should be free. Anger, depression and panic had me low at first, but I have an excellent diabetes nurse to turn to, and the course she sent me on helped a lot. I also got free gym membership for 3 months, never thought I would take to it, but it's great, even for oldies! Hope you have good help until you get your head round this, best of luck.

Pearlethan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I also recently got diagnosed with Type2 and found it quite rough because I love cooking. LCHF is keeping my blood glucose under control and I don't feel deprived. I have lost 4kg in the last 5 weeks and feel good. There are also many recipes so I am learning a new cooking style. My only concern is the effect it may have on my cholesterol but I will check this in a month or twos time. Good luck ... This forum is great, since joining it I don't feel alone with the problem anymore!

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi, I also recently got diagnosed with Type2 and found it quite rough because I love cooking. LCHF is keeping my blood glucose under control and I don't feel deprived. I have lost 4kg in the last 5 weeks and feel good. There are also many recipes so I am learning a new cooking style. My only concern is the effect it may have on my cholesterol but I will check this in a month or twos time. Good luck ... This forum is great, since joining it I don't feel alone with the problem anymore!

Hi - just though I'd say..I've been on very low carbs for months now - definite progress....as for cholesterol..mine was just tested at 5.3 (which is very very slightly above the normal range according to some and bang on normal according to others... so very little signs of impact there, but, I don't know how that breaks down into kinds of cholesterol and it may be that my good stuff is up..which generally happens on LCHF diets. I'd be interested to know, Pearlethan, how it goes for you.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a reasonably balanced diet. I make my own bread rolls (using a breadmaker to make dough) and have one a day. I use 25% rye flour & 75% wholemeal wheat flour, 600g of flour makes 6 rolls. I have cut down on potatoes, I use basmati rice & wholewheat pasta. I avoid all foods with added sugar (as much as possible) and anything made with white flour. I eat porridge (50g) or 2 weetabix or 2 shredded wheat for breakfast. I have cut down on beer, moved onto gin & tonic. I eat very little in the way of sweets & chocolate or cakes & biscuits. When I was first diagnosed my HbA1c was 122, 3 months later it was 50. I was then taken off of gliclazide as I was getting hypos. I also exercise most days. But as others have said its what works for you.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I have a reasonably balanced diet. I make my own bread rolls (using a breadmaker to make dough) and have one a day. I use 25% rye flour & 75% wholemeal wheat flour, 600g of flour makes 6 rolls. I have cut down on potatoes, I use basmati rice & wholewheat pasta. I avoid all foods with added sugar (as much as possible) and anything made with white flour. I eat porridge (50g) or 2 weetabix or 2 shredded wheat for breakfast. I have cut down on beer, moved onto gin & tonic. I eat very little in the way of sweets & chocolate or cakes & biscuits. When I was first diagnosed my HbA1c was 122, 3 months later it was 50. I was then taken off of gliclazide as I was getting hypos. I also exercise most days. But as others have said its what works for you.

Hi Jon, do you test yourself? I am wondering what your readings are generally, particularly if your'e not on meds at all. Weetabix or shredded wheat would make my levels jump as would any kind of sweet or biscuits etc. Great, if you can eat these things and still have low readings. No idea how you manage that, mate. It really is case of do what works for you. that would put me up to averages of 15 from current 7ish. I am slightly jealous. Paul

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jon, do you test yourself? I am wondering what your readings are generally, particularly if your'e not on meds at all. Weetabix or shredded wheat would make my levels jump as would any kind of sweet or biscuits etc. Great, if you can eat these things and still have low readings. No idea how you manage that, mate. It really is case of do what works for you. that would put me up to averages of 15 from current 7ish. I am slightly jealous. Paul
I was testing myself but I was not spiking. I no longer test daily, only if I feel a little 'odd'. I have mostly been between 6 and 8. I am still on metformin, it was only the cliclazide that was stopped as I was getting hypos nearly every day, around 17:00. I am due another HbA1c in January so I'll see how it's going. My main worry is that from the new year I'll no longer be able to use the gym at work during lunch time. I can go running but I don't enjoy it and my knees are knackered!

Fifilabonbon!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds, shopping, intolerance, oneupmanship.
I was testing myself but I was not spiking. I no longer test daily, only if I feel a little 'odd'. I have mostly been between 6 and 8. I am still on metformin, it was only the cliclazide that was stopped as I was getting hypos nearly every day, around 17:00. I am due another HbA1c in January so I'll see how it's going. My main worry is that from the new year I'll no longer be able to use the gym at work during lunch time. I can go running but I don't enjoy it and my knees are knackered!
Hi Jon, what dosage of Glycazide did you take daily? I tried Metformin, but it didn't agree eith me, so I started on 80gm daily of Glycazide. Taken at 8 am, by 11am, I was having a hypo. Now I take just 40gm Glycazide daily and it seems to agree with me and keep me balanced. Still low-carbing, gym and generally watching what I eat (well, mostly!)

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jon, what dosage of Glycazide did you take daily? I tried Metformin, but it didn't agree eith me, so I started on 80gm daily of Glycazide. Taken at 8 am, by 11am, I was having a hypo. Now I take just 40gm Glycazide daily and it seems to agree with me and keep me balanced. Still low-carbing, gym and generally watching what I eat (well, mostly!)
I was on 120 mg of gliclazide, 80 am and 40 pm but was taken off as I was going so low. I do try to eat healthily, nothing with white flour lots of veg and some fruit, I'm down to 3 pieces of fruit a day. Good news is that we may be able to use some gym equipment at lunchtime.

Btw, did you see trust me I'm a doctor last night? Some interesting things about diet & exercise, worth watching on the iplayer if you didn't.