Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Cannot believe that this afternoon I went for electrolysis at Destinationskin and was refused treatment for being a type 1 diabetic, I had to fill out a form and the lady went and called another salon to consult with a manager who said they couldn't treat me, she couldn't explain clearly why so I said it was because they had little knowledge of the condition so she called her head office and spoke to a medical director who again said to refuse me, she still couldn't explain why but they don't treat diabetics of people who have had cancer, as the treatment is non evasive I am totally perplexed as to why they wouldn't treat me and needless to say I walked away completely miffed. I have had this treatment before at a local salon with no problems, so feel this warrants a complaint to head office, does anyone else know why they would refuse me ?

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Simple answer - to cover their own backsides insurance wise .:rolleyes: There is no medical reason why you should not have treatment as. Type1 or 2, but some policies have exclusions in place , so on these potentially litigatious times, they can refuse to treat :banghead:

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Rule number one: when asked if you have any existing health issues tick the "no" box. Especially true for any sort of beauty treatment or massage or spa. Even at the gym I ticked the no box (otherwise you need a doctors letter) however if I collapsed I would hope the insulin pump, pockets of glucose and glucometer may give it away. I did tell the personal trainer though, after I joined!

Reactions: 6 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's absolutely disgusting. You should definitely file a written complaint to the head office.

Reactions: 3 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I wouldn't have told them in the 1st time place that you were diabetic. I can decide for myself what treatment I want, I don't need somebody deciding for me and taking my rights away!

Reactions: 8 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree completely with all of the above, they prefer to not treat anyone with anything complicated in case 'something but don't know what' happens so in future will heed advice given and 'forget' to tell them ! Now if I was scuba diving then would understand if I was turned down but for a non evasive beauty treatment was completely ridiculous, what do they expect me to do - have an adverse reaction, I even went so far to say that I was a well controlled diabetic in case she thought that might of had an impact, but with her 'lack of knowledge' she couldn't even respond to that !

Reactions: 2 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Tbh I wouldn't want treatment from a salon that didn't have the appropriate knowledge, expertise or qualifications. Perhaps you should consider it a lucky escape!! Saying that have you tried googling 'electrolysis and diabetes' a good indication of what is being taught!! Sue xxxx

Reactions: 6 people
C

catherinecherub

Agree completely with all of the above, they prefer to not treat anyone with anything complicated in case 'something but don't know what' happens so in future will heed advice given and 'forget' to tell them ! Now if I was scuba diving then would understand if I was turned down but for a non evasive beauty treatment was completely ridiculous, what do they expect me to do - have an adverse reaction, I even went so far to say that I was a well controlled diabetic in case she thought that might of had an impact, but with her 'lack of knowledge' she couldn't even respond to that !

I doubt that it is lack of knowledge.
Some insurance policies are very strict regarding treatments for people with chronic conditions/pregnancy/people in remission and the like and if you phone up beforehand and admit your condition you are advised to get a letter from your G.P. to state that it is safe for you to have the treatment.
A medical questionnaire is often used and you can be refused treatment without a letter.

If you feel that the treatment will not affect you then do not mention your condition but then if anything goes wrong you will not be covered With most diabetics anything that stimulates the circulation may affect blood pressure,neuropathy and that is what salons are worried about. There are no separate policies for different types of diabetes or whether you are well controlled or not.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The first time I went to get my ears pierced I was refused because I said I had Diabetes. So from then on I didn't tell any piercing places I had diabetes. Needless to say I've had 4 piercings and no problems.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I doubt that it is lack of knowledge.
Some insurance policies are very strict regarding treatments for people with chronic conditions/pregnancy/people in remission and the like and if you phone up beforehand and admit your condition you are advised to get a letter from your G.P. to state that it is safe for you to have the treatment.
A medical questionnaire is often used and you can be refused treatment without a letter.

If you feel that the treatment will not affect you then do not mention your condition but then if anything goes wrong you will not be covered With most diabetics anything that stimulates the circulation may affect blood pressure,neuropathy and that is what salons are worried about. There are no separate policies for different types of diabetes or whether you are well controlled or not.

Thanks Catherine, in hindsight had I thought that there may of been an issue it would of been something I would of discussed with them beforehand and I think I would of probably passed on having the treatment rather than getting a doctors letter, however there was nothing on their website about discussing medical conditions with them and so I happily went along naively thinking I was going to have a treatment ! They should also train their staff better to advise upon the impact is such treatments rather than just saying 'sorry as a diabetic we are unable to treat you' without giving any further information, as this became a bone of contention for me to retaliate against. Needless to say I have been put off completely but wanted to share the experience in case anyone else was looking to have the same treatment so they would know what t expect.

victry77

I trained as an Holistic Therapist a few years ago, and to be honest, they make students terrified of touching anyone with diabetes (and certain other conditions).

I remember reading the website of a local therapist who had "people with diabetes" listed in the section of those who "Shouldn't have a treatment". Which was absolutely ridiculous. She cited that her professional body forbid her to perform treatments on diabetics and that it was only unscrupulous therapists that would do this. Again, disgusting, tarring other therapists like this when the reason they may treat diabetics is because they have a **** site more knowledge than her.

When I looked into the client restrictions of the professional body she was in (as I was joining up, too), people with diabetes were listed as "special care" clients, which simply meant that extra care may possibly need to be taken and the client advised of how treatments may affect their BG level. It didn't mean they could NOT be treated.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Juicyj and all other posters. I trained as a Beauty Therapist, as well as in Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Stress Management and Baby Massage. All through my training of 2 years, the diabetes was ruled as do not do anything on them. Why, just don't, so as I am now a T2 and had a refusal to be given some minor treatments, I felt like a 'leper' and so hurt.

The only thoughts I have about this situation, is the Insurance premiums, are they loaded for certain things? the therapists are not always trained in first aid, so they might not have the knowledge to spot someone with a hypo or hyper and then they may be lied to about things and take ill, and could then sue the therapist, having been falsely informed the therapist, nobody knows why, they just do.

There maybe a need of training in diabetes, so that the people understand the condition, but were does the basic training in first aid stop and more detailed medical insight starts, I suppose you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, the classic catch 22 situation.

I personally did not fully understand why the total avoidance of diabetics, and why this is so. When I was refused some things I felt really upset, I was able to get reflexology from another therapist who was happy to treat me,

There are things that could/would be considered invasive within the beauty therapy world, but then a diabetic would need to understand refusal for these treatments. The basic products should always be carefully chosen and gentle, maybe there is fear of reactions, on skin contact? I suppose I should have asked the tutor's at the time, but you just take what you are told as right, big mistake .

It would seem, to lie about being healthy is one way some may go about things, but this is not a good way to be. So further investigation is needed, till then ttfn from Karen

angeeoh

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to hear about your experience. I understand (based on the other comments) that the salon was just probably trying to protect itself from liabilities. BUT they should have properly explained it to you instead of just saying NO. They obviously lack customer service skills and knowledge about the condition to properly give a rationale.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Now if I was scuba diving then would understand if I was turned down

I tried to go scuba diving when I was young and was refused because of my diabetes (which particularly annoyed me as at the time I was doing very intensive exercise 6 days a week without problems) so the next couple of times I went I just didn't tell them and made sure that I had slightly elevated blood sugars and had a great time. If I were doing a PADI or something then I'd probably have to confess but I think we need to be the ones who are responsible for the risks we are taking not just some piece of paper saying 'no'.

So, I lied on a form but I also dove on the Great Barrier Reef. I'm happy with that.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I tried to go scuba diving when I was young and was refused because of my diabetes (which particularly annoyed me as at the time I was doing very intensive exercise 6 days a week without problems) so the next couple of times I went I just didn't tell them and made sure that I had slightly elevated blood sugars and had a great time. If I were doing a PADI or something then I'd probably have to confess but I think we need to be the ones who are responsible for the risks we are taking not just some piece of paper saying 'no'.

So, I lied on a form but I also dove on the Great Barrier Reef. I'm happy with that.

Glad you didn't miss out on the opportunity - diving is really one of the most amazing experiences you can ever have, I passed my PADI years ago in Egypt and have dived at the Great Barrier Reef also but way before being diagnosed as a type 1, i'm not sure I would mention it now either, only fear would be having a hypo whilst being attacked by a shark, but think i'm more likely to win the lottery than that ever happening !! It is our responsibility and only we can decide if we are taking the risk, a piece of paper is just covering their backside in case we decide to sue for negligence.

Reactions: 4 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 - anyone providing a service cannot discriminate on the grounds of disability (the test for "disability" for the purposes of the equality act is any thing that would have a significant adverse impact on your ability to carry out day-to-day activities without treatment).

There are justifications for discrimination and the salon may well have one, but if they are a chain with legal advice then phrasing your complaint as one of disability discrimination under the equality act will force them to at least explain the reasons and consider whether there is a less discriminatory way of easing their liability burden - I would suggest that a blanket ban on treating diabetics, regardless of their actual health cannot meant the proportionality requirement.

I'm rubbish at doing links, but google equality & human rights commission guidance for businesses on the equality act 2010.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 334

highsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I went for a head massage and confessed all my conditions. The therapist consulted a HUGE file she called her bible. After close scrutiny and a chat she deemed me ok to have the massage which really helped me. In the course of the chat though, she said she would never touch a person who had, or is in remission with cancer. She said stimulating the lymph system which massage etc can do, could cause a seedling to travel through the body to set up a secondary. I thought that sensible. If I read the post right, maybe it was the mention of cancer which made her refuse you. Likewise that would be an insurance issue right but from a slightly different angle. My therapist was evidently experienced and had confidence in my own assessment of risk to me. The result of a thorough conversation based on a health questionnaire. I have other serious issues too but we went ahead (ouch) with no ill affect and some relief from stress for a while. Regards

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetics are prone to nerve damage and loss of sensation so some treatments may be refused on the basis that you may not feel heat/pain in the same way as a person with lower risk of such things.. I was once refused a hot stone massage on this basis as they had a concern that simply because I'm T1 I may not be fully aware if I was being burned - regardless of whether you have nerve damage or not.

Electrolysis uses heat so there's a risk of burning and if they think that there's a risk of nerve damage (which as a diabetic there is a proven increased risk) then they have to protect themselves (and their customers).

I don't agree with it at all and I protested quite angrily but at the same time I understand where they're coming from - scared of being sued.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some home beauty electronics have clear statements in their instructions 'not to be used on diabetics'.

I first noticed this years ago when i bought an epilator.