Postprandial Fatigue

Peri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all - hope you are feeling well today. I was diagnosed with T2 last June and since then, I've been managing my diabetes with Metformin (slow release, 2 x 750mg daily). My glucose prior to eating is generally around the 7 mark, but after eating it's in excess of 9.5

Admittedly, I've not been avoiding all the carbs I could, so I know there is more I can do there to help myself, but the sheer fatigue I feel after eating (anything) is pushing me to breaking point. I went to the docs originally because of the tiredness, and now it seems I am no better off, except I have a diagnosis to go with the fatigue.

Does anyone have any suggestions to either help me cope, or hopefully prevent the tiredness? It's probably worth mentioning that my thyroid has been swollen for more than a year, though all thyroid function tests come back normal.

I am at my wits end - it's affecting my life, my work, and my studies.

Many thanks :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly which thyroid function tests have you had? Doctors often only test TSH and ignore the others, especially the antibody testing that are diagnostic of Hashimoto's. Have they done an ultrasound or other imaging to check out the swelling? I'd be pushing for more tests if not.

Has your Vitamin D3 status been checked? It was a huge factor in my fatigue and starting supplementation made a big difference for me in that regard.

The postprandial fatigue in particular can be related to high blood sugar and/or the resulting BG rollercoaster caused by excess carbs.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try seriously reducing carbs and eating a bit more fat instead and see if that helps. I was reduced to a state of zombie like exhaustion several years before being diagnosed as type 2, but after starting on my low carb higher fat diet this more or less got rid of the awful tiredness and mental fog. A few too many carbs can still occasionally act like knock out drops though.

But definitely take note about what @Indy51 is suggesting about thyroid tests too.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definately try reducing the carbs if possible as even having BS in the 9's is enough to zap all my energy.

Peri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Exactly which thyroid function tests have you had? Doctors often only test TSH and ignore the others, especially the antibody testing that are diagnostic of Hashimoto's. Have they done an ultrasound or other imaging to check out the swelling? I'd be pushing for more tests if not.

Has your Vitamin D3 status been checked? It was a huge factor in my fatigue and starting supplementation made a big difference for me in that regard.

The postprandial fatigue in particular can be related to high blood sugar and/or the resulting BG rollercoaster caused by excess carbs.

Thanks, Indy51

You are right, he only tested TSH, but he has referred me for a thyroid scan. However, that was back in August and I am still waiting for the appointment to come through (I have chased, but will do so again). I last ate about 90 mins ago BG before food was 6.7, just this minute tested and it's 11.3 now. I had meatballs and sauce - all home made, nothing processed with about 2 tablespoons of pasta (brown).

I will also ask him to check my D3, I don't think it's been done.

Thanks for your advice and taking the time :)

Peri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try seriously reducing carbs and eating a bit more fat instead and see if that helps. I was reduced to a state of zombie like exhaustion several years before being diagnosed as type 2, but after starting on my low carb higher fat diet this more or less got rid of the awful tiredness and mental fog. A few too many carbs can still occasionally act like knock out drops though.

But definitely take note about what @Indy51 is suggesting about thyroid tests too.

Robbity

The mental fog! I feel like I am losing my mind - and it's not helpful as I am trying to write a dissertation which is due next week. I've applied for an extension though because at the moment, I don't feel able to lift my head off the desk for any length of time.

I will cut the carbs right back while I wait for the other tests.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, Indy51

You are right, he only tested TSH, but he has referred me for a thyroid scan. However, that was back in August and I am still waiting for the appointment to come through (I have chased, but will do so again). I last ate about 90 mins ago BG before food was 6.7, just this minute tested and it's 11.3 now. I had meatballs and sauce - all home made, nothing processed with about 2 tablespoons of pasta (brown).

I will also ask him to check my D3, I don't think it's been done.

Thanks for your advice and taking the time :)
Glad to help, though with BG going that high, I'd be even more strict about carbs - even if it's wholemeal pasta, it will raise BG.

Peri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definately try reducing the carbs if possible as even having BS in the 9's is enough to zap all my energy.

That's really helpful to know - I often test in the 9's post meal but thought it was too close to a 'normal' result for me to be feeling so poorly.

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't used it yet cos only bought it today, but with Christmas present money have bought a spiralizer. (£15 from Lakeland) It means I can turn veg, eg courgette into spaghetti or linguine type shapes and kid myself I'm eating pasta, while actually doing something good for my body and bs levels. That might be one way to cut the carbs. It's my post holiday (going away next week for 10 days' sunshine) resolution to reduce cards and up fat intake a little.
Re extra time for your dissertation I hope you have student support service involvement- however much we don't want to see diabetes as a disability, there are times when it just gets ever so slightly in the way and it would be useful for you to be able to fall back on their support for things like extra time, and who knows what other benefits
Good luck

Peri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't used it yet cos only bought it today, but with Christmas present money have bought a spiralizer. (£15 from Lakeland) It means I can turn veg, eg courgette into spaghetti or linguine type shapes and kid myself I'm eating pasta, while actually doing something good for my body and bs levels. That might be one way to cut the carbs. It's my post holiday (going away next week for 10 days' sunshine) resolution to reduce cards and up fat intake a little.
Re extra time for your dissertation I hope you have student support service involvement- however much we don't want to see diabetes as a disability, there are times when it just gets ever so slightly in the way and it would be useful for you to be able to fall back on their support for things like extra time, and who knows what other benefits
Good luck

Thank you, Hailey - the spiralizer sounds like a great idea. You're right, I hate thinking of diabetes as a disability, because there are other people with far harder challenges, but I have to get my heaf round the fact that it's a long-term, progressive condition and I need to do everything I can to prevent the symptoms and slow/halt the progression.