I am going to run out of pills

auburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,

You may have seen Aberdeenshire on the news, basically we're all flooded and knee deep in snow in places, and everyone's stuck.
I was due to pick up my Metformin prescription today, as I am to run out on Sunday. I now can't get to the doctors to get the tablets. Weather permitting, it will be Tuesday before I can get there, but that's only if Mother Nature lets up and gives us a break.

I am taking 2 tablets of Prolonged release metformin (500mg) in the morning and 2 tablets at tea-time. I have 12 tablets left (not yet taken any this morning) and I wondered if anyone had advise - Do I continue to take my 4 a day knowing I'm going to run out, or do I drop down to 2 a day, and spread out what I have left?

I am trying to get through to the docs surgery but their "out of office" message is still on, so I'm not sure anyone will get to the practice today, and I dont know if this classes as an urgent enough question to speak to NHS24???

Any advice, greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just ring NHS24 and see what thy say...and our thoughts are with you in the flooding..

Reactions: 2 people

auburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the reply, I have been informed to continue with the 2 + 2 tablets and keep an eye on the weather for when I can get to my surgery..
Now that the "sun" (as much sun as we get here!!) is up, the local news seems to be suggesting some of the roads are clearing, so fingers crossed that it'll be on it's way to normality soon. Trying to stay positive. The community spirit here is pretty awesome

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So long as you renew your prescription as soon as possible, I shouldn't worry.

Metformin's effectiveness doesn't really kick in for 2-3 weeks after starting to take it, and it doesn't affect the short term highs and lows (in the sense that you don't prevent a high by taking one tablet).

What it does is, over time, lower your readings by a couple of mmol/l (depending on dose, and how effective it is in your particular body). Each dose is important, but only in that it builds up the background effectiveness.

Diet and how many carbs you eat has a much greater immediate effect than metformin.

So just get back on them as soon as you can.

If you are worried about triggering any digestive side effects by stopping and then re-starting, you could try reducing your dose now, to make the remainiing pills go further, so you never actually run out, just drop the dose and then increase it again. But that is a suggestion - never done it myself to know if it will help.

Please note: this only applies to met. Am NOT suggesting this approach for any other medication!