Zero Coke

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello - can anyone advise whether the occasional glass of Zero Coke is OK for people with RH please? I have had a look on the tin and it says there is no carb and no sugar so hoping it would be OK? Thanks in advance

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Up to you (or the person on whose behalf you're asking given you don't have diabetes) but for me, a flat no.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Andysgirl.

Yes the occasional diet drink is ok. I prefer Pepsi max.

Have a look at aspartame!
There is a lot of issues with this sugar, as it is supposed to be harmful in large quantities.
But as I say the occasional one is fine! It won't raise your blood glucose levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Andysgirl.

Yes the occasional diet drink is ok. I prefer Pepsi max.

Have a look at aspartame!
There is a lot of issues with this sugar, as it is supposed to be harmful in large quantities.
But as I say the occasional one is fine! It won't raise your blood glucose levels.

Hello Nosher8355 - thanks for your invaluable advice as always, I am so glad to have discovered this forum and you! That is fab news and has made my day - small things hey! I will keep in mind the aspartame as a friend had very bad poisoning from it but it gives me an alternative to alcohol for my night out treat - thanks again.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello Nosher8355 - thanks for your invaluable advice as always, I am so glad to have discovered this forum and you! That is fab news and has made my day - small things hey! I will keep in mind the aspartame as a friend had very bad poisoning from it but it gives me an alternative to alcohol for my night out treat - thanks again.

Here's another little tip that was interesting, if you are eating out or in the local.
Don't buy diet drinks that are pumped, only buy bottled or canned diet, not only that check the can if it's an unfamiliar brand.
The reason is, that pumped cola or anything is just added carbonated water to a solution which has high sugars and carbs! It only, not really, supposed to taste like diet drinks.
Shocking isn't it!

Also, make sure that if you order a salad, that they don't put dressings on it. Another full of nasty things you don't want to put anywhere near you!

Always ask to see the chef if your not happy with the description on the menu, they should be accommodating if they want your custom.

Always happy to help!

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's another little tip that was interesting, if you are eating out or in the local.
Don't buy diet drinks that are pumped, only buy bottled or canned diet, not only that check the can if it's an unfamiliar brand.
The reason is, that pumped cola or anything is just added carbonated water to a solution which has high sugars and carbs! It only, not really, supposed to taste like diet drinks.
Shocking isn't it!

Also, make sure that if you order a salad, that they don't put dressings on it. Another full of nasty things you don't want to put anywhere near you!

Always ask to see the chef if your not happy with the description on the menu, they should be accommodating if they want your custom.

Always happy to help!

Thanks for the tips nosher8355 - definitely something I wouldnt have thought of!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is worth factoring caffeine too.

I don't drink coke, so don't know which cola variations have caff in them, but some people (like me) find that both artificial sweeteners and caffeine can affect them.

In my case it is more the stimulation, followed by the flop after, rather than a direct effect on bg.

When i flop, i am much more likely to crave sweet things and reach for the carbs.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Shocking isn't it!
Come now, @nosher8355, you know that's not strictly true! Pumped diet drinks don't contain any sugar (as long as the bar staff use the correct button). If they did my blood glucose would always go through the roof, which it doesn't!

Reactions: 7 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I beg to differ, as the solution they use is in a syrup form, then the solution is pumped through pipes to which carbonated water is added and dilutes the solution.
It is full of man made sugars, sweeteners and such like.

Unless it is straight from a keg, that is what I was referring to!

Ones of my son's works for a brewery and told me this.
My wife used to work in a pub, where own brand cola was served, the way I described it!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I beg to differ, as the solution they use is in a syrup form, then the solution is pumped through pipes to which carbonated water is added and dilutes the solution.
It is full of man made sugars, sweeteners and such like.

Unless it is straight from a keg, that is what I was referring to!

Ones of my son's works for a brewery and told me this.
My wife used to work in a pub, where own brand cola was served, the way I described it!

I'm not sure what you're getting at either.

You are accurately describing how a fountain drink system works, but you seem to be confused in assuming the concentrate (syrup) "Has high sugars and carbs."

For the sake of this conversation, and assuming everything is configured properly, there is no difference between a diet soda from a fountain system and that same soda in a can or bottle

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completely agree with tim, it really shouldnt do much if anything to blood sugars , when i occasionally have a can of diet coke or zero coke its fine :S

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is worth factoring caffeine too.

I don't drink coke, so don't know which cola variations have caff in them, but some people (like me) find that both artificial sweeteners and caffeine can affect them.

In my case it is more the stimulation, followed by the flop after, rather than a direct effect on bg.

When i flop, i am much more likely to crave sweet things and reach for the carbs.
Caffiene effects bs?? Ive never been told that and i love my caffiene products..

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The fountain style system of diet coke etc is a little risky as the staff can press the wrong button but if they are used correctly, diet coke is fine, not full of sugar or carbs at all.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Cans and bottles of diet drinks are fine but those that come from syrup and siphoned carbonated water are full of sweeteners, production sugars, that will have an effect on bloods!

There is a lot of brewers that use this type of 'diet' cola!

My last post! Goodbye!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cans and bottles of diet drinks are fine but those that come from syrup and siphoned carbonated water are full of sweeteners, production sugars, that will have an effect on bloods!
That is a factually incorrect statement, but thank you for your contribution.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only drink Diet Coke/ Pepsi max and always from a pump at pubs. It has never had an effect on my sugars

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@nosher8355 , and @Andysgirl - You could try testing the output of the pump with a test strip if you were concerned? I have heard of people using their blood meter (although I have never done this myself), or the urine dip strips would would pretty well, just dipped in for a second or two? Let's face it the urine dip strips aren't up to much else!