Low-carb diet help for Type1.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can anyone help me start a low carb diet please?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have a read in the low carb forum.
Someone else will be along to give you links.

Hope this helps!

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think many of us would be happy to help. What specific questions do you have?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks how do i get to it?

Your post was moved to start a new thread off in the low carb section of the forum, it would have got lost in the General Chat section and the ''What are you doing now thread?''

So your posting in the LC forum now @bigboi, but to access it you just click on Forums and scroll down until you see the LC forum, when you do just click on the heading.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think many of us would be happy to help. What specific questions do you have?
Thats good to hear, well how do i start, where do i start, what is an ordinary day planned out in low carb life lol? Thanks alot...

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats good to hear, well how do i start, where do i start, what is an ordinary day planned out in low carb life lol? Thanks alot...
Start by learning about what you're eating now, and what needs to be replaced in your current diet. I'd also do some research about how and why a low-carb diet works. When you understand the science behind it it makes the approach tremendously easier.

My suggestion is that you figure out what your goals are for this diet, build a plan to exceed those goals, and modify that plan as things do/don't work. If you try to use one of our own plans or if we try to build one for you, you will fail. I say that with 100% confidence.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Start by learning about what you're eating now, and what needs to be replaced in your current diet. I'd also do some research about how and why a low-carb diet works. When you understand the science behind it it makes the approach tremendously easier.

My suggestion is that you figure out what your goals are for this diet, build a plan to exceed those goals, and modify that plan as things do/don't work. If you try to use one of our own plans or if we try to build one for you, you will fail. I say that with 100% confidence.
Thats not very motivating :/ when i try do this stuff myself i fail, so theres no way ill manage to do that, plus researching will just worry me tbh.. Tried to do a little research before making this post and seen that more insulin in the body is more chance of cancer.. So now thats always gona make me worry , probably alot arent like that but i am and it makes each day harder, trust me.. 1 - worry = 1 more struggle through the day

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats not very motivating :/ when i try do this stuff myself i fail, so theres no way ill manage to do that, plus researching will just worry me tbh.. Tried to do a little research before making this post and seen that more insulin in the body is more chance of cancer.. So now thats always gona make me worry , probably alot arent like that but i am and it makes each day harder, trust me.. 1 - worry = 1 more struggle through the day

Well, in my defense, you didn’t ask for motivation. You asked for help and I gave you my honest advice in an attempt to help you succeed.

I don’t think it’s going to be very helpful, but since you asked about an “ordinary day” I’ll share what my typical day looks like:

I wake up at 4am every morning and drink about 4 cups of coffee. I use a creamer with 1g carbs and stevia (0 carb sweetener).

Around 5:30am I head to the gym where I spend about 1.5 hrs lifting heavy weights.

I head to work around 8am and usually eat around 350-500 calories in total: several hard boiled eggs, pecans, almonds, cheese, or a combination of those things.

At around 11am I eat 2-3 cheesesticks that equate to about 250 calories

At 1pm I eat a salad with ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, iceberg lettuce, and no dressing

At 3pm I eat either a handful of pecans/almonds, or another 2-3 cheesesticks

At 6pm I get home from work and eat some sort of green veggies dipped in a low-carb greek yogurt dip that I have either bought or prepared earlier in the week. I also might eat some “Chicharrones” or fried pork bellies as I think they’re called in the UK.

At 8pm, my girlfriend and I make dinner. That consists of broccoli and peppers cooked in avocado oil along with (usually) the same low-carb greek yougurt dip mentioned earlier.

Side notes:

I’m still a honeymooner- 2 months ago, I was able to maintain this diet WITHOUT any artificial insulin. I’m now at a point when I need 12 units of Levemir (taken at 8pm) and occasionally .5-1.5 units of Novolog/Novorapid to correct for larger portions of protein.

Heavy weight lifting plays a HUGE part in my diabetes management. On the (rare) days I don’t work out I need a bit more basal (12 units at night and 8-10 units in the morning) and ~5 units of bolus to correct.

In comparison, there were days over the Christmas holidays when I didn’t eat low carb and needed about 50 units of insulin (50% basal/50% bolus) per day.

I eat pretty much that same stuff every day. It sounds boring but it's what works for me.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat pretty much that same stuff every day. It sounds boring but it's what works for me.

Whilst I have no reason to suggest your post isn't accurate, I would suggest your diet is some way from typical in it's lack of variety.

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@bigboi I suggest looking at the information in this website: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
It gives a guide to the types of food you should eat etc. You will need to increase your salt intake during the first few weeks as well to avoid the 'low carb flu'. Good luck!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, well i do my best to carb count and what is mdi?..
MDI is Multiple Dose Insulin Therapy, meaning you inject the correct amount of insulin for each meal, as opposed to having the same does every day, almost no matter what you eat and drink.

I'm not a T1, and I don't take any drugs, never mind insulin, but I believe it is important to be able to carb count to use a low carb diet really well, as a T1.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MDI is Multiple Dose Insulin Therapy, meaning you inject the correct amount of insulin for each meal, as opposed to having the same does every day, almost no matter what you eat and drink.

I'm not a T1, and I don't take any drugs, never mind insulin, but I believe it is important to be able to carb count to use a low carb diet really well, as a T1.
Ah, yes thats correct but as i said im kinda new to this, i was on the same dose each day as u mentioned, and that makes sence... I guess i should maybe cut down on carbs as im still learning about counting rather than just straight cut them out?.. U think?

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@bigboi I suggest looking at the information in this website: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
It gives a guide to the types of food you should eat etc. You will need to increase your salt intake during the first few weeks as well to avoid the 'low carb flu'. Good luck!
Thank u, and thank u everyone for the links they are mostly helpful. Are u by any chance on low carb diet?..