Low-carb diet help for Type1.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, yes thats correct but as i said im kinda new to this, i was on the same dose each day as u mentioned, and that makes sence... I guess i should maybe cut down on carbs as im still learning about counting rather than just straight cut them out?.. U think?
That would be a better way to start and I wouldn't advise going low-carb until you have learned how to handle normal carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I have no reason to suggest your post isn't accurate, I would suggest your diet is some way from typical in it's lack of variety.
On this forum perhaps, but go onto any bodybuilding forum and search in the "keto" subsection and you'll find plenty of people that also eat most of the same things every day.

The problem lies in the fact that there is no "Typical" low carb diet and there is no uniform definition of what "low" actually means.

That was the very reason for my initial comments. It's why I asked what his specific goals were so we could better understand what he was looking for.

...but no....my situation is probably not what I would consider "typical."

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be a better way to start and I wouldn't advise going low-carb until you have learned how to handle normal carbs.
Yeah , guess your right.. I was just kinda trying to rush things to get better control but i see why that was silly, thanks! But this information is still very much needed and appreciated people, thank u.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On this forum perhaps, but go onto any bodybuilding forum and search in the "keto" subsection and you'll find plenty of people that also eat most of the same things every day.

The problem lies in the fact that there is no "Typical" low carb diet and there is no uniform definition of what "low" actually means.

That was the very reason for my initial comments. It's why I asked what his specific goals were so we could better understand what he was looking for.

...but no....my situation is probably not what I would consider "typical."
My goal is really just to get better numbers.. Id be very happy if i got a full week under 10 at this point, i am still understanding carb counting and i know i have screwed up a couple of times but im learning better i think..

Adam29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u, and thank u everyone for the links they are mostly helpful. Are u by any chance on low carb diet?..

@bigboi Yes, I've been on a low carb diet since July - it's been a bit of a learning curve but there's a lot of info out there.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah , guess your right.. I was just kinda trying to rush things to get better control but i see why that was silly, thanks! But this information is still very much needed and appreciated people, thank u.
Maybe start out with a plan of say 150g carbs per day, that will probably improve you numbers a bit, but keep you out of the confusion of having to bolus for protein (unless you are eating massive steaks ;) ). Then you could work your way down with better understanding when you felt comfortable.

Reactions: 4 people

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe start out with a plan of say 150g carbs per day, that will probably improve you numbers a bit, but keep you out of the confusion of having to bolus for protein (unless you are eating massive steaks ;) ). Then you could work your way down with better understanding when you felt comfortable.
Thats actually very very helpful for me!! Never thought of that, thank u im deffinetly going to use that as some sort of starting point :D

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats actually very very helpful for me!! Never thought of that, thank u im deffinetly going to use that as some sort of starting point :D

Again, I reiterate I'm neither T1, nor an insulin user, but it strikes me if you are relatively newly diagnosed, it's probably best to take things at a steady pace so that you understand what you are doing and don't end up bewildered and losing motivation.

Good luck with it all. This diabetes is an extremely steep learning curve, but you'll get there. :)

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again, I reiterate I'm neither T1, nor an insulin user, but it strikes me if you are relatively newly diagnosed, it's probably best to take things at a steady pace so that you understand what you are doing and don't end up bewildered and losing motivation.

Good luck with it all. This diabetes is an extremely steep learning curve, but you'll get there. :)
Thank u ! Ive had t1 for about 17 years haha... Just new to the switchover

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
MDI is Multiple Dose Insulin Therapy, meaning you inject the correct amount of insulin for each meal, as opposed to having the same does every day, almost no matter what you eat and drink.

MDI is Multiple Daily Injections more commonly known as a basal/bolus insulin regime, it's the preferred option by HCP's nowadays as it gives you are greater flexibility with regards to what you eat and when, however some people prefer the twice daily fixed doses of insulin over MDI as it gives them a routine to stick to.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MDI is Multiple Daily Injections more commonly known as a basal/bolus insulin regime, it's the preferred option by HCP's nowadays as it gives you are greater flexibility with regards to what you eat and when, however some people prefer the twice daily fixed doses of insulin over MDI as it gives them a routine to stick to.

I understand that, thanks Noblehead. I was trying to make a practical explanation to someone I (quite wrongly) thought might be fairly newly diagnosed. It seems I was wrong on the latter part too.

My spidey senses let me down in this instance. :(

Reactions: 4 people