Benefits & diabetes

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
I'm 56yrs of age with many conditions I retired on ill health 20yrs ago I receive an Nhs pension ESA ( formally incapacity benefit ) and Disabilty Living Allowance (lower rate care & higher rate mobility) I've still to have the medical for the new government benefit I use a blue badge & have a free bus pass I am trying to move to sheltered accommodation or extra care home within 18 months I have a Care Link System (I wear pendant which is connected to North Somerset Carelink) I also have pendant between me & my wife) I wear a chain outside which has information on me to Medic Alert I've also had a wet room fitted over 3yrs ago I use an under arm crutch outside two if the weather is bad My wife has a state pension & two other pensions we live in a one bed flat which is only warden controlled It has taken us 18yrs to get where we feel fairly comfortable financially but my health problems are such that we've come to terms with the thought that I have medical appointments every month I've Five in January we've just got to manage anybody with similar problems I'd love to hear from you HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone

Reactions: 3 people

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Blood Tests Injections MRI Scans (particuarly) cooked white cabbage and Cornish Pasties
My wife has a state pension & two private pensions under £30

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people on low incomes can get help with travel to hospital, I believe. You could phone your hospital and ask if there's any help available for you.

Best wishes,

Azure

Reactions: 4 people

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep we get help here with Hosp visits

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

Marjack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant attitudes towards other people
Hello babsy2, as your wife is over State Pension age, have you tried to claim Pension Credit. It is there to help people with low income. The other benefits you receive may entitle you to extra income on top of the standard level for a couple.
Hope this helps

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep we tried that but no luck

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Babsy, sorry but I'm not quite getting what problems exactly you are talking about - sorry if I'm being thick? You mentioned the medical appts but said you get help with hospital visits already and you are on ESA and DLA, blue badge, buss pass etc.

Help? lol

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes I am concerned about switching my Dla onto the new benefit I've always had trouble with these things

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah, ok babsy. To my knowledge, you will be contacted when you need to apply for PIP - unfortunately there is no direct switch from one benefit to the other, the vast majority have to reapply for the new benefit.
I would advise getting as much medical info as you can together now, doctors letters etc, as it can save time. You will probably have to attend a medical, which is (in theory) pretty straightforward. I would advise getting help to fill out the form though, perhaps contact your local CAB?

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yep Thankyou it took just over a year switching from Incap benefit to Esa I sent 86 pages with the original forms

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's a different kind of setup with PIP Babsy, it really is better you get some help with form filling etc.. I know of a couple people who were receiving DLA and automatically assumed they would be eligible for PIP too, and just weren't prepared - they got turned down after the medical. Preparation is everything and so is proof - the DWP don't want to hear about what conditions and how many of them a person has, but rather how those conditions affect that personal day to day life. There's a fair bit of info on the internet so I'd suggest reading up on it as much as you can babsy.:)

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thankyou very much I've some very difficult conditions to deal with the most severe being oestoarthritis in the spine both hips both shoulders and both hands aswell as having COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease a on top of T2 and I've had medicals and find them very painful to go through

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I understand that babsy, I've got pain related hip and spine conditions issues myself. You will not be forced to do anything you can't manage, but they will want to see how you do when you attempt it, it's the same for everyone unfortunately, no matter the conditions, it will depend on what is written down on your application form. My daughter went through the process for ESA and she had been on a lifetime award for DLA, high rate care and mobility...best I don't say more on that:mad:

It should all be ok, just get yourself some support and advice from the CAB etc.

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thankyou very much I will prepare properly and get the right advice

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can write from recent experience but only as a recent person claiming PIP.
I am not terminal cancer or terminal disease but I did not actually have to undergo any face to face interview or medical and my claim was accepted from my Consultant and GP letters and my detailed form completing.
It can be extremely hard to complete and it can depend upon the "agency" that is making the decisions.

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thankyou that's very interesting

sram78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been through this process, of going from DLA to pip, I had to have a medical where you are assessed from the minute they see you on your manner your appearance, they go through a medical assessment including a physical examination if you can manage it, but tell them if causes you pain to do it and they won't make you do it, they do a report on what they think your abilities are and send it to d w p who point score it and give you a decision based on points you get

babsy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thankyou very interesting

sram78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
get advise from cab as their aim is to get people off the benefit, I went from being on high rate care and high mobility with long term award to the lowest rate of pip, had to appeal then take it to tribunal