Does anyone have any thoughts on quinoa

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not diabetic but do have RH and wondered if anyone has any experience of quinoa and if it has much affect on bg levels?

I realise it's still a carb, but I can tolerate a small amount per meal generally. Just wondered if it was bad news?

I've noticed that Tilda do a pouch of brown basmati rice and quinoa mixed and was thinking of trying a small amount with a homemade low carb curry.

Any advice/suggestions welcome.

Many thanks

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have just one suggestion re: quinoa: DON'T EVEN GO THERE! IT'S VILE!

Reactions: 6 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I like it. The Asda one is about 6G carbs in30g. It's not too bad on my sugar so I use it instead of rice. I'd say try a portion and test...

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like quinoa, but until I've shed all the excess weight (another 18 kgs or so), the only carbs I'm eating are veggies. As already advised, the best thing to do is try it for yourself and see what your BG meter says!

Reactions: SueO246

Sally66

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every one is different I agree but quinoa (which I love) is high protein and not that high a carb which is why vegetarians often use it a a key protein. A small amount is very fulfilling and sustaining. "A gift from the Aztecs" I have heard it described. Definitely try it, there are some delicious recipes out there.