Overwhelmed

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 4 weeks ago and am now on 2 metformin twice a day. I haven't seen the diabetes clinic nurse yet (I will on Tuesday) so I've done a lot of research and have been doing the lchf diet since diagnosis, and lost 3kg so far.

I felt like I was dealing with it really well at first, and felt quite positive that I was going to get it under control. But over the last week I've been feeling quite depressed and very anxious about it all, with all the scary complications. I feel really ashamed that I've let myself get like this.

I'm already on antidepressants as having my daughter nearly 3 years ago led me to have to confront some childhood traumas (I couldn't run away anymore!). It was a really hard year last year but I felt like I was getting on top of my mental health and was tackling my emotional eating. I was just starting to think about how to get my physical health back when I got this diagnosis (I had gestational diabetes so get tested every year). So now I feel like a massive failure before I've even started.

Also, part of my depression is health anxiety - not something that's really compatible with diabetes!

I just feel really overwhelmed and had to vent somewhere that might be supportive!

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It will gradually become clearer and the worry will fade. You are already doing the right things. Just ask any questions.

Reactions: 4 people

rocknrollman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories,people who like hunting and snobs.Also Pompey fc.
Sorry to hear your problems sequinn15.
I admit im becoming fed up because Ive had type two for about a month and when i was told,my first thought was i am going to beat this.But despite making a lot of changes,im still the same.I am nowhere near depressed yet,but i can understand why people get like this.I guess im very impatient and want a quick fix.
Why are you ashamed? Anyone can get diabetes.Like me,you were just unlucky.
Although you have more problems,as well as type 2,try to be positive and look at it as just another hurdle that will be overcome.I find coming on here and reading other peoples posts helps and gives you some good advice as well.
Good luck and try to focus one one thing at a time.

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI welcome from me too. :)

Well done on the positive steps you have made so far. That's a good weight loss :)

I too suffered from depression due to childhood trauma. I needed counselling to help me last year. I also thought I was finally getting on top of my health issues when I was diagnosed. How you feel now is just a blip, which we all have from time to time. You are not a failure at all, far from it. It's good that you have been diagnosed because it gives you something to aim for rather than a vague 'I must get healthier'. Don't be scared of the complications, if you control your blood glucose levels well, then you aren't very likely to get any complications.

You mentioned LCHF...have you seen this thread? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

Don't be down. You are doing everything right. Just keep talking to us.

Reactions: 8 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Dont feel like a failure we are here to support you. Have a good look around the LC forum as there is a lot of great insight to be gained. It can take time for your levels to come down and you have already started making positive changes. If you have any questions just ask, we are a helpful bunch :)

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello Sequin15, welcome to the forum,happy to see your taking matters into your own hands, and that really is key here,so well done you! You will find support and good advice and friends aplenty here,keep posting any q's just yell out and someone will answer,get yourself a meter ( codefree are the cheapest ) clive

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome to our merry band of diabetes warriors! Firstly feelings of shame, guilt and embarrassment are perfectly normal emotions on being given a diabetes diagnosis, as are shock, fear and isolation. However you have already made huge steps by firstly actually acknowledging that you have diabetes and wanting to do something about it; many people bury their head in the sand and hope that it will go away. It won't, but it is completely possible to control T2D and keep your BS levels within 'normal' range. This video may help to explain why a LCHF diet may be beneficial
T2D does not need to be a progressive disease, nor will it inevitably lead to associated complications. You need to be strict but kind to yourself. It is not your fault but neither will it disappear by itself; it does take effort and a bit of planning and monitoring. As Clive has said, the best thing to do is buy a glucose meter and test the effects of different food on your sugar levels. Ask your DN nurse on Tuesday if they will give you one on prescription. Ignore any advice not to test! I'm sure @daisy1 will be able to give you more information. Let us know how you get on on Tuesday. Keep your chin up, you're doing great already.:)

Reactions: 3 people

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI welcome from me too. :)

Well done on the positive steps you have made so far. That's a good weight loss :)

I too suffered from depression due to childhood trauma. I needed counselling to help me last year. I also thought I was finally getting on top of my health issues when I was diagnosed. How you feel now is just a blip, which we all have from time to time. You are not a failure at all, far from it. It's good that you have been diagnosed because it gives you something to aim for rather than a vague 'I must get healthier'. Don't be scared of the complications, if you control your blood glucose levels well, then you aren't very likely to get any complications.

You mentioned LCHF...have you seen this thread? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

Don't be down. You are doing everything right. Just keep talking to us.
Thank you Zand, that helps a lot :)

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Sequin15, welcome to the forum,happy to see your taking matters into your own hands, and that really is key here,so well done you! You will find support and good advice and friends aplenty here,keep posting any q's just yell out and someone will answer,get yourself a meter ( codefree are the cheapest ) clive
Thanks Clive, I've already bought a meter as my gp said no testing, but I haven't used it yet. I will though!

Reactions: 5 people

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a bit brighter now, and your replies have helped me feel less isolated, so thanks again! I'm just going to concentrate on getting some questions together tomorrow to ask the nurse on Tuesday.

Reactions: 10 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
I think you're doing amazing fly well so far - keep it up!

I've been there and got t-shirt and am now back on the path to reducing the impact of my t2. I'm so annoyed at myself for letting my pre diabetes get to t2 but I can only look ahead. It's in my family with two close relatives so who knows of mine was self inflicted or passed down but I need to stay on the path! Also the media really doesn't help when it releases report after report shaming t2.

Use that positivity you have to keep going. And test test test - so important xxx

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Sequinn15

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.
I think you're doing amazing fly well so far - keep it up!

I've been there and got t-shirt and am now back on the path to reducing the impact of my t2. I'm so annoyed at myself for letting my pre diabetes get to t2 but I can only look ahead. It's in my family with two close relatives so who knows of mine was self inflicted or passed down but I need to stay on the path! Also the media really doesn't help when it releases report after report shaming t2.

Use that positivity you have to keep going. And test test test - so important xxx
Thank you. I just found out my dad and granddad both had type 2 as well, which kind of makes me feel a bit better!

Reactions: 2 people

Sequinn15

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update - I had my appointment with the diabetes nurse this morning and it was great! She's totally for testing and lchf, and was really supportive. She told me to go on the expert course - does anyone have any experience of this?

Reactions: 5 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on that course and it ruined me. The info was outdated and they shunned low carbing. They were promoting eating dried fruit instead of actual fruit and even when I proved they were wrong they were having none of it. I had to leave after that.

It's a lottery as to who you get. My lot were ****

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most.courses that are offered are pretty out of date, eat plenty of fruit and all veges are equal :( On the course.I went on they did also cover lots of stuff related to diabetes like looking after your feet and explaining the role of the pancreas ect