Hypo "escape"

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What is your best way of "escaping" hypoglicemia?
I have had type 1 diabetes for 5 years now. I am making a school project about hypo, so I'm gathering information about how different people compensate low BG in different ways.
If you are okay with me using your answer in my project could you please specify your age and gender. All answers will be used as anonymous resources.
Thank you!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, we RH ers, have to avoid Hypoglycaemia at all times.

Have a look in our forum.

There should threads from T1s, use the search function and type in, hypos, T1.
You will find what you want!

davidte1968

What is your best way of "escaping" hypoglicemia?
I have had type 1 diabetes for 5 years now. I am making a school project about hypo, so I'm gathering information about how different people compensate low BG in different ways.
If you are okay with me using your answer in my project could you please specify your age and gender. All answers will be used as anonymous resources.
Thank you!
Hi I'm David and I've been Type 1 for about 3 years. I'm 47 years old. if I go hypo I have a cup of tea with honey, then a banana... that usually fixes things! Good luck with your project!

Reactions: 2 people

Ca2910

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm Connor been type 1 for 3 Years. (Male - 16 Years Old)
If I go hypo I have either a glass of orange juice or half a bottle of either Lucozade or Coke.
If all else fails I use Jelly Babies - *but I find it hard to stop eating them after I have had enough to bring me back up to normal*

Hope that helps

Reactions: 4 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm type 1 for 25 years, 45 years old, female.

4g sugar tablets glucotablets. I buy the big jars and a couple of the tubes and refill as needed.
I don't use any 'favourite' food as I'd eat the lot in one go.

suemac1960

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Paulina, my name is Susan, I've had Type 1 for 46yrs, if I'm in a hypo my family give me Lucozade in a Baby cup, it's easier to drink because of the little holes and I don't spill it so easy. I lost my early warning signs so I always carry lucozade with me just in case. I always follow the lucozade up with something to eat that has carbohydrates.

Sam1968

Hi I'm David and I've been Type 1 for about 3 years. I'm 47 years old. if I go hypo I have a cup of tea with honey, then a banana... that usually fixes things! Good luck with your project!

I am 47 years old and I have been diabetic for 29 years. I take 4 jelly babies or a small 15 g of cola and that usually helps but if my sugar is well below 4 I sometimes have to repeat the first process.

manrug13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Im Scott, been diabetic for just over 21 years, im 29 now. I tend to use lucozade when i hypo, but a while ago i was told by paramedics that milk with a few tea spoons of sugar is a great hypo treatment. In the past i have also used jelly babies (around 5 or 6 does the job), and orange juice works too.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Steve, 50 and 38 yrs T1. Jelly beans or a choc digestive for a BG slowly drifting low, if a crashing low then Glucotabs 1 every 10 mins.

wren5

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a 47 year old woman who has had t1 diabetes for 42 years. Unfortunately I am also coeliac which went undiagnosed for many years which has left me with absorption issues. Sugary drinks put me in a coma so use jelly babies but retest every 15 mins and it can take 4 lots to stop hypo. And I hate jelly babies! Told its because I have suffered with low blood sugar.