Induction Date Given

jade88

I had my 36 week scan today and baby is still measuring normal so consultant has set induction date for 18th Jan when I will be 38 weeks. Excited but getting really nervous now - just wondering if any of you ladies who had been induced had any tip or advice for this process? x

Reactions: 8 people

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, good luck! Don't be nervous, it will be fine especially as you will be in hospital. I was induced with my first also at 38 weeks. I had acupuncture to help things along since 38 weeks still early and bounced on a birth ball a lot. Bring one with you and A LOT of books, magazines etc. It could take a while. Try to sleep for as much of the induction process you can - that's my main tip!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great news @jade88

I'd say be prepared for the induction to take a while. Some people react quickly, some don't (like me). It helps psychologically to be aware of that.

Also, walk around as much as you can (obviously not neglecting to rest too) and keep active

Make sure you have you birth plan ready with your preferences so you're not suddenly having to decide things when you're in pain

Pack plenty, including lots of testing strips, hypo treatments and snacks, and be ready to swap back to your normal basal rates after you've given birth.

Exciting to have a date now!

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was induced at 35w. I have to say it wasn't the nicest so be prepared but not sure if it's because I wasn't term. I ended up with an emergency section in the end.

Like azure says defo with all the hypo treatments especially post natal.

Good luck xx

jade88

Thanks girls I have been advised it could take a few days dreading having to stay in hospital especially as my partner won't be allowed to stay with me until I'm in active labour!

It's also my hospitals policy to put diabetics on a sliding scale which I'm a bit worried about as I've heard mixed reviews about them? As you can imagine not ecstatic about giving up control! xxx

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks girls I have been advised it could take a few days dreading having to stay in hospital especially as my partner won't be allowed to stay with me until I'm in active labour!

It's also my hospitals policy to put diabetics on a sliding scale which I'm a bit worried about as I've heard mixed reviews about them? As you can imagine not ecstatic about giving up control! xxx
Hi Jade are you on a pump or injections?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Aww, that's sad. My partner stayed with me the whole time (and I took ages to go into labour!) Maybe it's because they'll put you on a ward for the induction? Because I went in prior to my induction, I stayed on delivery the whole time and only went to a ward after. At least you know that in advance so can be prepared : ) Take an iPad or something with videos on?

I didn't have a sliding scale. I told my consultant I didn't want one and she wrote it in my notes, but I do have a pump so it was easier.

jade88

Yes I'm on injections so been advised it will be easier especially if my midwife isn't around! I will be on the antenatal ward he can be with me between 10am and 8pm but won't be moved to labour ward until I'm in active labour xxx

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I'm on injections so been advised it will be easier especially if my midwife isn't around! I will be on the antenatal ward he can be with me between 10am and 8pm but won't be moved to labour ward until I'm in active labour xxx

I argued my entire pregnancy (hundreds of appointments) to not go on a sliding scale- simply because I love my pump and was convinced that my basal rates etc were far superior to a different insulin plan calculated on general population and not me. By end of first pregnancy, obstetrician and consultant were, OK then and I wrote it clearly on birth plan. I also wanted pump during labour - they kept saying no as not done before. After I had been induced, the said obstetrician came to my bed and said no way was I allowed pump. How cheeky! She explained that whilst I knew how to work it, her staff didn't and as with all preg there is the risk that you might need to go under general anaesthetic / be in position to not take it. (Or for you, staff not know your dose in context- get your body in position for injection etc)

Anyway, ironically, I really, really loved being on the sliding scale. My sugars were perfect and it was lovely to concentrate on labour and have a little holiday with someone else looking after that side of things. They come and test for you, hourly I think and you can relax.

My induction didn't work and I too ended up with emergency section. Insulin was the last thing on my mind and if I were to have a third, I think I'd ask to be on the sliding scale a bit longer after birth.

My hubby was allowed to stay but tbh he was exhausted and therefore useless! Ha! Like others have said have hypo treatments ready and try to sleep in early stages as you don't know how long it will go on for. (Sliding scale obviously stops any hypos too as you are not only attached to insulin but also glucose when they see a decline they give glucose IV - I didn't realise this.)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I'm on a pump and kept mine on through induction and then through both my sections. I asked for a glucose prescription to be written up the last time with my twins (now 3months) and was cannulated anyway. Just in case of hypo.
I did go on ss after my first emergency section but switched back onto pump after an hour.
I personally like to be in control. You can still test your sugars regularly.
I don't see how they can force you onto a ss if you are managing ok. They are not experts in diabetes you are. I had to have surgery last year and kept my pump on again and was under general then (no ss).
I think it should be personal preference.
Hopefully you can decide with your team best way to manage xx

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jade, obviously I can't give any advice as I've Not got to that stage yet lol but I'm so excited for you, you're bound to be a little nervous but try and relax and as others have said rest while you can, hope your induction doesn't take forever, not long now then xx

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first I was on sliding scale, second I managed myself (on MDI) as hospital policy had changed to encourage managing own sugars if had good control. I tested every hour and midwife recorded readings (when she remembered - she just let me get on with it really).

Both successful inductions. Both lots of hanging around waiting.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I was induced with my first and the policy was and as far as I'm aware remains that you only go on a sliding scale once in active labour. The issue with inductions is they often don't work so it can take a long time before you're in active labour. The other policy to check is whether you can eat when on sliding scale. If they're estimating 3 days it's not advisable to starve for that period.

I had a sliding scale for my induction and next labour. They work ok scary though it may be to relinquish control. My last one i kept the pump throughout but that wasn't due to hospital policy but the difficulties of giving birth on Christmas day and i think the fact they thought i might give birth any minute and save them the hassle of setting it up.

mrsguiseley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not much new to add but my placenta ruptured at 34 weeks and I had am emergency c-section and was allowed to keep my pump on. I will be pressing again to keep it on during my next birth (aiming for a vbac) and I'm now 29 weeks xx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jade :

Haven't got any advice , just wanted to wish you luck , not much longer to wait very exciting

xxx

nmb264

I was induced at 35 weeks due to Bubba not being happy in my tummy anymore. I didnt find being induced too bad. He then didn't like the induction so the pessary was removed and we ended up with an emergency section. I manged my pump all the way through. It can be a very long process and take a face cloth as I constantly had the other half drenching it in cold water!
Your time has flown by but when I think of it my little one is now 7 weeks! Very excited for you!!x

Elliehowell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Consultants say that from 38 wks a woman is full term so dont worry about that. My daughter had emergency caesarians on her 3 pregnancies due yo high blood pressure. Her first was born at 35 wks. He was perfect and no problems except they both had to stay on high dependancy ward for a few days and that was just for a precaution. 2nd baby was 37 wks and 3rd was 38 wks. No problems on any except the 3rd baby had a low blood sugar reading and went to the special baby care unit. He fed well and was with my daughter the next day. Good luck and take care x