inhalable insulin??

howie

anyone know what the latest is on inhalable insulin?? i've heard conflicting info. is it for real?

thanks,
howie

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It is available on prescription in the UK, howie, but the manufacturers intend to phase out production in the near future. Swings and roundabouts. Although it meant insulin users could manage without injections, the inhaler equipment was very large, as were the doses. Absorbtion was a bit hit or miss and all in all, the disadvantages semed to outweigh the advantages.
I know a T1 who still uses it, and it works for him because his job makes it difficult for him to manage injections.

All the best,

fergus

PS, just checked it out with NICE and it seems it's no longer available I'm afraid howie. **** thing looked like an asthma inhaler on steroids anyway!

iHs

Although not available in the UK as yet, Oralyn is available in India. Its a very small asthma looking inhaler ( a bit like ventolin) and is sprayed into the buccal lining of the mouth. One spray is roughly the equivalent of 1 unit of U100 bolus insulin. I am pleased to say that it works and the spray is not unpleasant and is rapidly absorbed. The only downside is that more than 5 sprays at a time will need a drink of some sort. Adults will be fine using it but young kids will not have enough dexterity in their hand so will need help from a parent. Also, the mouth needs to be kept closed for about 10 seconds after the spray so that the mist doesn't escape.

I showed it to my gp and she was amazed 8) :mrgreen:

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
I've been snorting stuff for years. Funnily enough some of that came from India too. Is it legal now ? :lol: :lol: :lol: (This is banter BTW! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Adrian1

I understand that oral lyn has been approved by the FDA (USA) for use in some of their patients.
It apppears that the EU authoritiesare still investigating its safety. It has been in use in Ecuador since early 2006 and is also in use in India and a number of other countries. Its use by an inhaler means it does not enter the lungs so eliminating some of the problems with the insulin that had to be withdrawn. Admittedly it is expensive but what price converience and if it becomes a standard treatment the price will come down. Generix the makers have gone down a route that has proved sucessful in the asthma treatment field. Have the multinational drug companies anythig to fear?