Heat and diabetes

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I was in a jacuzzi the other day = lucky me but noticed a sign that said diabetics shouldtake advice before using.

I am fairley new to this, does anyone have any info about why this should be? plus if it is the heat how does this apply to going on holiday to hot countries using saunas etc?

For info I am type two taking two metformin + diet and exercise.

Thanking you

WaG

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The reason Diabetics should be careful in Spa's, Hot Tubs and Saunas is because it can have quite an effect on your Bg levels and cause you to Hypo because of the heat.

It dilates the blood vessels and will enhance the effect of any insulin that has been administered.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
A hot tub can help drop a high BG
Hana

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody

A week ago I had a short holiday in a Spa Hotel in Baden Baden, Germany. During my time there, I used the Spa facilities quite a lot including of course the sauna, steambaths etc. Throughout my stay there my blood glucose levels were steadily low (always 4-6 mmol/l). I originally attributed this to reduced stress but perhaps the heat had something to do with it.

I now have another reason to enjoy the spa after the gym.

Regards

Pavlos

whatashock

I have noticed the same, which is great as it means I have a great excuse to tell the wife 'off to the gym for a couple of hours, as I MUST have a sauna and Jacuzzi'

All I would point out though is that I was at a diabetic talk last week, and was advised not to 'soak' your feet for too long as it has an effect on the skin on the feet.

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks once again to everyone time and time again this forum has proved very useful and supportive.

WaG