Which do I believe?

broads

I have been using a Freestyle Lite meter. I was given a Accu-chek Aviva Nano. I have just used the appropriate control solutions on both meters, all fall into the correct range. I then did a blood test with both meters using the same sample of blood.
Results:
Freestyle Control high reading 19.1 low 2.9 blood reading 6.2
Aviva Control high reading 16.3 low 2.3 blood reading 5.1

I have been trying so hard to get my sugars into the 5s so would love to believe the Aviva readings.
I am not due anymore tests with the nurse until January.
Advice please. Thank you.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Broads.

Stick with ONE meter. You will NEVER get the same readings testing that way. You would need to be in Lab conditions and even then there will be variables.

Do a search on here for meter accuracy and you will find that this has been raised here many times. Same answer every time too. :D

Better still, here is a link to one I did earlier.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9481&p=89286&hilit=meter+accuracy#p89286

Lizzie7

Hi there,

I switched to an aviva nano a couple of weeks ago and I've noticed it reads slightly higher than other metres I've tried (one touch and breeze 2). There is an error margin with all metres and I also get slightly different results depending on which hand and figure I use.

I did ask a nurse friend about this and she said the metres are pretty accurate and certified for accuracy but your body is not i.e. - different blood samples will vary slightly and this is normal. Even using the same blood sample on the same metre can produce a slightly different result. She also said it's the same for blood pressure etc - you can have different readings from the left and right arms.

x

broads

Thank you both. Must admit I like my Freestyle BUT I was given 100 test strips with the Aviva and at the price they cost it seems a shame not to use them. I do not get strips on prescription.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Whichever one you end up using, stick with it. Comparing meter results with each other is a terribly stressful exercise, so don't! Comparing averages over a much longer period of time will likely show them to be very accurate, but unless you're testing them under lab conditions you're just going to scare yourself.

Personally I use a Contour, and the only reason I switched to it is that it sends the readings wirelessly to my pump. I'm certain it provides different readings to other meters, but I never use another meter so no problem!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi broads,

I would tend to trust the Accu-Chek meter over the Freestyle.

I found my readings on the Freestyle Lite to be quite erratic at times. It seemed to be particularly sensitive to temperature and battery life.

Regards,
timo.

tmohammad

Dislikes
NHS guidlines denying me test strips!
Accuracy of test meters

I tested BG levels on an Abbott Xceed and got a really low figure... So to verify it I decided to check on another meter I have.... That gave a really high reading so out of curiosity, I decided to check the accuracy of all three Abbot meters I have.

I took a drop of blood from the same finger and tested it. The results:
Abbott Xceed - 3.7 mmol/l
Abbott Freestyle Freedom - 5.8 mmol/l
Abbott Freestyle Lite - 5.2 mmol/l

How weird! I would have expected a little difference but NOT THIS MUCH!!!

Question is which is right? I am controlling my diabetes with Diet & Excercise... I'm not sure I would want to base the amount of insulin to inject on these results!!! These meters are from the same manufacturer... Can you imagine if I were to test across manufacturers?

Are my meters playing up or do you have similar stories to tell?

Sweet enough

Re: Accuracy of test meters

It'll be interesting to see some of the replies to this issue.

I only own one meter Accu chek aviva which was recomended to me. Your post made me think ! and as an experiment I tested my my blood glucose levels.
Clean dry hands
1sample from my side tip 4th finger left hand. 9.8 mmol
1 sample from side right thumb 9.3 mmol

So even with the same meter I got different readings from the same red stuff.

Im not sure if my breakfast prefers my left hand to my right or what ! but I do realise BGL are not an exact science but at the same time testing how much glucose there is in a given blood sample should be.
Maybe like me your test sites differed? although the differences do seem a lot.
Have you asked the company for their thoughts. Try emailing them with all the details and see what they have to say. Don't forget to let us know.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
When I last had a blood test (HB Ac1) I checked my bg with my Aviva meter immediately after the nurse finished taking blood, the Aviva's reading was 5.7 matching the fasting glucose result perfectly :)

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Stick with one meter. Bit like scales, they all give you different weights yet they are all supposed to be accurate.

D.

tmohammad

Dislikes
NHS guidlines denying me test strips!
I got a response from Abbot:

Dear Mr Mohammad,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are sorry to hear that tests performed on the different meters gave conflicting results.
The Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) have checked the accuracy and precision with Abbott blood glucose meters. When judged and analysed, they concluded that a difference of 20% between two readings performed on 2 meters within 10 minutes is clinically acceptable, if hands are washed and thoroughly rinsed prior to testing, different puncture sites are used and you have not eaten anything between tests.

However as the readings you have reported are out of the acceptable range, please may we ask you to contact our Customer Careline on 0500 467 466, so that we can troubleshoot this issue with you. As part of our Friends for Life programme all Abbott Diabetes Care products are guaranteed for life therefore if required we will replace the meter free of charge

As a member of Friends for Life you can look forward to a superior level of care and service. Our advisors are on hand to offer support and advice on any product related issues. It also entitles you to Free replacement product: meter, lancing device and batteries,
Free monitoring support: download cable and software and free educational materials: regular magazine, informative booklets and website.

Yours sincerely

Customer Service Team
Abbott Diabetes Care

Insulinman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Idiots
All of of the above are very sore points,
same as Mr Mohammad with Aviva very late Meters and with the "MHRA" (what a waste of Time)
I laid out three 3 aviva Meters on the table I coded each one with the same CODE, I washed my hands then rinsed with great care? Then put in 3 x strips Then I lanced a very large amount of blood!
and put it onto the "Same Coded STRIPS all in 5 to 6 seconds?
The results were unbelievable so far out around 30%. Aviva "Ole you MUST NOT Compare Meters"

"ER" pardon me I have to Inject a stuff called Insulin into "MY BODY"
how much should I inject or which reading should I use? the: 6.0 or the 14.0

I do NOT endorse any make of Electronic C**p but The Best I have ever used (Bayer Contour)
and dare I say I started with a bayer 33 years ago, with testing 5 to 8 times a day I do seem to wear them out, six to eight years testing in one year? AND Diabetes.UK seem to think they are OK

!!!! So I forgot Abbots meters were the same
The CONTOUR is "ONLY" decimal points Out!! (not bad)

Regards B

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I dont know if anyone else saw a program called "How does it work" on Dicovery channel but this program takes things apart and showes exacly how they work.

They did a glucose meter and I found it very intersting it also explained why test strips are the price they are.

I recorded it and would love to upload it to u tube but its a TV program so its proberly coverd by law.

Graham1441. :twisted: :twisted: