Blood glucose test ... first one!

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello ... me ... again! Just got my first blood glucose monitoring machine and took a test 4 hours after eating my evening meal and got a reading of 4.4. Can anyone tell me if they think this is low? I have a fear of a overnight hypo! Thanks

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have something with a little carbs to get you up a couple of units, its a good number but you will need a little higher before bed :)

Reactions: 4 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I'd have a fat snack actually as it will slow release over night. Maybe some cheese or coconut oil?

Reactions: 2 people

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bigboi and Linagirl I have had a piece of ham and two babybel cheeses - do you think that should do it? thanks

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks bigboi and Linagirl I have had a piece of ham and two babybel cheeses - do you think that should do it? thanks
God i miss having a baby bell, yeah that should do u as girl said it will slow release , do u usually wake up higher than what u were before bed?

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bigboi, I am not sure tbh ...very new to all this and only taken this test to date, although I was at 6.1 in the morning two weeks ago after fasting from 6 pm the night before and checked by my GP so I guess I must be. I normally feel OK in the mornings - thank you for your help.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When you wake up in the morning you bloods should be in the normal range, only when you eat does your blood glucose levels rise.
If you don't eat at all, your bloods will stay in normal range.
You only go low when you eat, then don't eat, until you go hypo.

bigboi is Type One diabetic, their rules don't apply to us.

I've never really had to make sure I ate before bed, because I believe sleep will put me in normal range.

By the way 4.4 is in normal range and because you never really went hyper from your meal, you won't go hypo. Don't leave it so long to eat between meals.

Hope that helps.

I will check in now and again but I've got to take a break away from here as my personal time is short, lots of things going on at home. Sorry but that's the way it is!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to hypo in my sleep many months ago, although I didn't know it at the time. It was before I was even aware of my RH symptoms, but I would often wake with a head ache in the morning. Occasionally I would wake in the night wet through with sweat and feeling not at all right. At the time my husband would always get the chocolate out before bedtime and I couldn't resist some. This obviously made me hyper and therefore I hypo'd in my sleep.

I now have a little snack/supper between 8.30 and 9pm and I now feel fine in the night. I don't check my bg before bed (never have) and I don't know what it does in the night (I checked it around 3am a couple of times and it was low 5's) but my fasting level is always in normal range unless I'm under the weather.

My evening snack is either a couple of multigrain crackers with butter and cheese (I can have 4 and they raise me no higher than 6 which is usually max 1mmol/l increase) or Greek yogurt and a few berries. I usually treat myself to a square or two of 85% dark chocolate as well

I'm curious @nosher8355, why shouldn't we eat until we hypo? I'm not questioning your advice, I'm just trying to understand and learn.

I had a 2 hour post meal reading of 5.3 one day last week, which if fine but I was already beginning to feel hungry and a little shaky. Knowing this isn't hypo level I held off eating and tested again in 20 mins time. I was then 4.9 and feeling irritable. I just ate my supper a little earlier and my symptoms eased. I avoided a hypo and it's after effects so to me that was the best result. The only thing I don't know of course is if I would have actually hypo'd and if my symptoms are a result of me not being used to being as low as that.

I hope all is well with you and family comes first

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
When you wake up in the morning you bloods should be in the normal range, only when you eat does your blood glucose levels rise.
If you don't eat at all, your bloods will stay in normal range.
You only go low when you eat, then don't eat, until you go hypo.

bigboi is Type One diabetic, their rules don't apply to us.

I've never really had to make sure I ate before bed, because I believe sleep will put me in normal range.

By the way 4.4 is in normal range and because you never really went hyper from your meal, you won't go hypo. Don't leave it so long to eat between meals.

Hope that helps.

I will check in now and again but I've got to take a break away from here as my personal time is short, lots of things going on at home. Sorry but that's the way it is!
Thanks for all your help .... I am having a much better day today keeping my bloods within the mid 5s all day. Hope all is well with you.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm curious @nosher8355, why shouldn't we eat until we hypo? I'm not questioning your advice, I'm just trying to understand and learn.

I had a 2 hour post meal reading of 5.3 one day last week, which if fine but I was already beginning to feel hungry and a little shaky. Knowing this isn't hypo level I held off eating and tested again in 20 mins time. I was then 4.9 and feeling irritable. I just ate my supper a little earlier and my symptoms eased. I avoided a hypo and it's after effects so to me that was the best result. The only thing I don't know of course is if I would have actually hypo'd and if my symptoms are a result of me not being used to being as low as that.

I hope all is well with you and family comes first

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry, just messed up the previous post! (Doh!)

Can't remember saying that @Kaz261. If I did I apologise!
You shouldn't leave yourself to hypo. No way! If you know you are going low, do check it, the best way for you!
It could be that you are still adjusting to the low blood glucose levels.
As long as you are following the low carb diet, you shouldn't be far away now!
Hope you will soon be feeling the extra buzz, that normal levels gives you.
Can you feel it taking effect yet?

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Nosher. Overall I'm doing much better thanks. I had a confusing hypo before dinner yesterday, but I'm putting it down to having a busy day and not eating enough to compensate. I'm also hormonal at the minute (I can imagine you cringing at that!) and super sensitive to any carbs.

I'm learning how my cycle affects me and looking for a pattern in my bg levels at those times. I think I need to be even more strict with myself around those times.

I've been considering going back to see my GP to ask about medication. I've been getting some surprising results since I've started testing more thoroughly again and I don't mean in a good way! If I could take something to help me prevent the hyper, I think I would have more confidence generally. I know I will still need to follow a lower carb diet, but feel there's no harm in trying medication. Do you find you suffer(ed) many side effects from Sitagliptin? I usually get most of the side effects listed in the leaflet, so it tends to put me off taking anything!

Hope all is good with you and thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated as always x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No probs Kaz!

No I don't suffer side effects from my meds.

There is no harm in asking your GP to consider taking meds to slow down the hyper, which helps overall, eating more full fat would probably help as well.
I

In fact I think I'm quite lucky, that I don't and have never have to take supplements etc. And my hormones(yuk) don't give me extra probs.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
No probs Kaz!

No I don't suffer side effects from my meds.

There is no harm in asking your GP to consider taking meds to slow down the hyper, which helps overall, eating more full fat would probably help as well.
I

In fact I think I'm quite lucky, that I don't and have never have to take supplements etc. And my hormones(yuk) don't give me extra probs.
Do you know if metformin helps with RH at all? I was prescribed it in the initial stage by my consultant when he thought I had diabetes. I have some but have never taken it. I have a feeling that's what the gp would prescribe, but he openly admits he knows nothing about RH!

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kaz, I have been following Noshers advice to the letter and are now in my second day of managing to achieve mid to high 5s all day and I feel good on it. I was brave last night, tested my blood before bed (5.7) and trusted that I wouldnt go Hypo - but I did keep a biscuit by my bed in case! Woke up this morning to find I was 5.6 and it kind of makes sense that I am only reacting to food which makes me hyper first, so if my last meal was 3 hours ago and I am OK I am not topping it up before bed. I am snacking between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner though.. I am following the diet doctor LCHF diet which was also recommended on here and it is really tasty and filling. Off to bed now following my tea of Greek Chicken at 7pm and my blood has just checked at 6.0 3 hours post meal (almost) so happily going to bed with my faithful rich tea biscuit again. I do hope you start to feel better soon x

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do you know if metformin helps with RH at all? I was prescribed it in the initial stage by my consultant when he thought I had diabetes. I have some but have never taken it. I have a feeling that's what the gp would prescribe, but he openly admits he knows nothing about RH!

No it won't help at all, my consultant asked me if I was on it the first time he saw me having hypos.
It a blood glucose lowering drug that has good effect for kidney protection.
You don't need the reducing meds.

Also the side effects are not so nice!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Kaz, I have been following Noshers advice to the letter and are now in my second day of managing to achieve mid to high 5s all day and I feel good on it. I was brave last night, tested my blood before bed (5.7) and trusted that I wouldnt go Hypo - but I did keep a biscuit by my bed in case! Woke up this morning to find I was 5.6 and it kind of makes sense that I am only reacting to food which makes me hyper first, so if my last meal was 3 hours ago and I am OK I am not topping it up before bed. I am snacking between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner though.. I am following the diet doctor LCHF diet which was also recommended on here and it is really tasty and filling. Off to bed now following my tea of Greek Chicken at 7pm and my blood has just checked at 6.0 3 hours post meal (almost) so happily going to bed with my faithful rich tea biscuit again. I do hope you start to feel better soon x

So glad to be of help.

You have done well so quickly!
It works!
Once you realise it's the food that is the baddies for RH.
Everything falls into place, if you don't have them.
Control is the key to unlock better health!

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
No it won't help at all, my consultant asked me if I was on it the first time he saw me having hypos.
It a blood glucose lowering drug that has good effect for kidney protection.
You don't need the reducing meds.

Also the side effects are not so nice!
Thanks Nosher, I'll steer clear of Metformin then. I've spoke to many people who say the side effects can be particularly unpleasant. That's why I never took them and went down the diet route! I wasn't having hypos at that point though.

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you're doing great Andysgirl! I'm so pleased you're feeling better. I'll have a look at the diet doctor site.

How are you finding preparing meals to suit you and the rest of the family? I'm way more mindful of what the kids eat now, but being young (6 & 2) they don't like the low carb alternatives. Makes meal times alittle trickier!

Andysgirl

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you're doing great Andysgirl! I'm so pleased you're feeling better. I'll have a look at the diet doctor site.

How are you finding preparing meals to suit you and the rest of the family? I'm way more mindful of what the kids eat now, but being young (6 & 2) they don't like the low carb alternatives. Makes meal times alittle trickier!
Hi Kaz, if you go on his site - and I recommend you watch the short intro video which helps you will be be able to sign up for a two week trial which is totally free. You get a shopping list for the week to ensure you have everything in for family meals and then fast and tasty recipies. It is designed so that you cook only once a day at dinner time and that you keep a portion of that for lunch the following day. My little boy has enjoyed the food too - he is 9 as they are basically healthy versions of normal family food, just low carb. For instance last night we had the Greek red pesto chicken dish and we were all sitting there saying "yummmm". There are things like burgers, chops, casseroles all of which are adaptable so you can make a low carb meal and add say a burger bun for the kids version so not too much hassle at all. Good luck, let me know how you get on x