Side effects of sleep deprivation...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As I may have mentioned in another topic, I deprived myself of sleep last night and only got about three hours. The result has been a rather unpleasant bout of insulin resistance as a result. I've seen this before and it's quite frustrating. I wondered how many others saw this issue, or other issues with not getting enough sleep?

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that my morning bg is higher than usual if I did not get a good night's sleep. However the lack of sleep is usually related to stress, or having an exciting evening the night before , things that will increase adrenalin and thus insulin resistance, that's my theory.

encore1332

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not nice stuff
havnt been sleeping well for a few weeks, my bs are usually 8 to 12 in the morning as I seem to have the morning rise but for last few weeks its been high teens low 20s

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes my bloods are different from lack or too much sleep. I wonder if it's about figuring out what it is that is causing sleep issues? What I mean is it could be a combination of things where the body just is confused to what is happening

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I figure the issue with sleep deprivation is that during the following day, you generate loads of adrenalin and that generates glucose as a result of fight or flight.

Reactions: 7 people

L_J

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would this effect just the fasting blood sugar level, or could it have a knock-on affect for the rest of the day? Asking because after a disturbed night last night, my levels seem to elevated today. Normally I have no problem getting down under 8 within 2 hours of eating, but today I'm still at 8.4 3 hours after a low carb (16g) lunch.

Dannyb87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
**** that's what's happening! I've always been an awful sleeper! Jesus wept is there anything that doesn't affect your b/g levels?!?!

Reactions: 3 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I had a bad period of insomnia shortly after 1 was diagnosed as T1 (lasted for months). I couldn't get my BS under control as a result and being completely exhausted all the time stopped me from doing much exercise, one the best ways to maintain good BS levels.

From what I remember , lack of sleep is stress on your body and in response the body releases a chemical called cortisol from the adrenal glands. This in turn triggers a release of glucose flooding your system and raising your BS. That's the ladybird version of it anyway.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
I often have sleep problems and have noticed a raise in BS in the morning when I don't sleep well. I have been prescribed AMITRIPTYLINE tablets which have helped me considerably. I have not associated sleep problems with my diabetes before reading this thread and it made me recall the lack of sleep I had as a child prior to getting Type 1 in the 1960s. I also have low Cortisol levels.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only slept five hours tonight since I had to take an early morning flight. I have been running low the whole day and had to half my bolus today (and still running a bit low). Could it be that my body is burning more glucose becuase of insufficient sleep?

This is not the first time that I see this.