Choosing a pump??

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I know there are quite a few posts on this but I wanted to make sure this was the most helpful to me. I have a choice between the:
Omnipod
Accu chek insight
Medtronic 640
Animas vibe

I don't want the Omnipod as it doesn't have as many features as the others and I'm not bothered about wires. That leaves the other 3. I won't be using a CGM as it is too expensive and my control is fine so it's just the pumps. Any advice or feedback from using them? The insight looked really good but from what I've seen there are quite a few problems with it and I like the waterproof of the Animas but it isn't really a decider for me and the vibe looks a tad outdated in my opinion. Is the 640g good even without the CGM integration?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi - i have an Animas Vibe and I'm very happy with it :)

I originally had an Insight but hated it, so I gave it back and that narrowed my choice down to Animas or Medtronic. What swayed me was the look of the Animas Vibe, its Luer sets, and the fact it could be used with the Dexcom CGM (when I can afford it). Each to their own, but personally I preferred the look of the Vibe compared to the Medtronic. Having worn it for months now, I still think it looks good :) It's nice and robust too.

Pumps are an individual choice and different ones suit different people. Do you have any priority things a pump must have or must do?

Reactions: 3 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had the same choices but not the omnipod, I could have had it if the DSN had pushed for it but I chose not to. As for advice there is a link in the Insulin Pump thread at the top section with all the makers web sites on which may help you make up your mind, I chose the Insight and a friend who does the pest control where I work has the 640.

So far but only a month in I'm happy with my choice and I know my friend on the 640 is happy with his Azure is happy with hers and Noblehead is happy with his..

When at the clinic you may get to look at all the pumps and have a little play about with each one before you make your mind up, but please look at all the makers web sites as this may help you along the way.

Good Luck and best wishes

Reactions: 2 people

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - i have an Animas Vibe and I'm very happy with it :)

I originally had an Insight but hated it, so I gave it back and that narrowed my choice down to Animas or Medtronic. What swayed me was the look of the Animas Vibe, its Luer sets, and the fact it could be used with the Dexcom CGM (when I can afford it). Each to their own, but personally I preferred the look of the Vibe compared to the Medtronic. Having worn it for months now, I still think it looks good :) It's nice and robust too.

Pumps are an individual choice and different ones suit different people. Do you have any priority things a pump must have or must do?

Contrary to what I mentioned earlier, I'm now deciding between the Omnipod and the Vibe. From what you've said and what I've heard from the others, the vibe is a great pump (waterproof etc...). I think waterproof is a requirement as it's just easier for swimming which is also making me lean towards the Omnipod and looking at what suits me best. I tend to do a lot of sport and exercise so I feel like it's better suited due to the fact I don't have to disconnect it and there are no tubes when cycling.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I attended a pump roadshow earlier and have also been given an omnipod demo kit so I'll try it out tomorrow to see what it feels like

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry keep remembering things! I'm not looking at getting a CGM at the moment but if I were to at some point it would be self funded. For this case I think I'd rule out the 640g due to the more expensive CGM costs. I've also seen that a new remote for the Omnipod is being released which may offer dexcom compatibility?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I think with which ever pump you do choose you will be happy with it as you have nothing to compare it with, it is wierd but in a good way not having to do MDI,s but the fingers do get a tad sore with all the testing of bloods but that is nothing really :)

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Contrary to what I mentioned earlier, I'm now deciding between the Omnipod and the Vibe. From what you've said and what I've heard from the others, the vibe is a great pump (waterproof etc...). I think waterproof is a requirement as it's just easier for swimming which is also making me lean towards the Omnipod and looking at what suits me best. I tend to do a lot of sport and exercise so I feel like it's better suited due to the fact I don't have to disconnect it and there are no tubes when cycling.
If you have the pod you need a separate handset, if you loose it you are well and truly up the creek with no paddle.

I have the vibe it does all I need, obviously it's your choice if you want cgm or not, there is no difference to pump operation with or without CGM.
You do not need to disconnect when exercising either. Vibe is waterproof people have swam the channel whilst wearing one.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i'd go with the vibe as it has pump functions too, with omnipod if you was to loose the handset you'd have to wait 24hrs usually for a new one to arrive

I'm on the insight pump just because of remote handset and if i did loose it there would be pump function i did want the medtronic pump for the cgm feature but i would have had to wait till middle of this year for a pump, but i could get the insight the next day =.=

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I honestly think your looking in to it too much, all of the pumps will do the job nicely...........

I only have experience with medtronic products and for 3 years now my pump has been faultless, nothing has went wrong, apart from the odd snapped belt clip......

CGM is a serious consideration but I personally don't believe everyone needs one...........folk who have big problems with hypos occurring regularly and the inability to detect hypo symptoms should think about CGM, otherwise it shouldn't be a deal breaker with pump choice......

;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you have the pod you need a separate handset, if you loose it you are well and truly up the creek with no paddle.

That is true with the Omnipod Pump but only temporarily, your basal rates are still programmed and the only thing you can't do without the PDM is bolus for your meals, however I'd imagine most diabetes clinic will likely keep a spare PDM and I believe that Ypsomed are quick to get out a replacement in the post.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just to throw you a curveball, the 640G is also waterproof.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I have got an Insight and I love it. It takes prefilledcartridges which last about 3 days. The pump face is very easy to read and the handset is also very clear.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the feedback and personal experiences! After having a think, I've decided on the Medtronic 640g as it's got everything I need. Didn't realise our was waterproof until a few days ago which was why I didn't previously consider it. It's layout and design suits me and I'll only use the CGM a few times a year so cost shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you ever used CGM before or would this be the first time you would be trying it?

It would be my first time using it and using a pump. I do quite a lot of cycling so feel like maybe the smart guard would help when I use a cgm as I tend to struggle to balance my levels when cycling. Due to the price I'd only use one for say if I participate in an event not normal training I think