How old were you when you first diagnosed with type 1?? And how long do you have it??

Phil-86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in November, 29. Painful 2 months of my life, mainly because my nurse of a girlfriend has been saying "told you so" ... for 2 months...

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 1 age 4. I am 29 now so 25years.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 13 when I was diagnosed but I would say I had it about 6-7 months before that.. And I am 16 now I got it on the first of September 2013 4 days before school and I still went in haha school were clueless about it but I could deal with it on my own anyway so they didn't need to worry

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 18, diagnosed 8 months ago. It basically destroyed my life, because doctors said I can't work in my profession.

My consultant says there are ONLY 2 things you can't do with type 1: be an astronaut or a fighter pilot! Are you either of those? If not, ignore the Dr and go for it - you can do whatever you set your mind on so long as you take care of yourself.

Burchie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 19. My mum thought I was diabetic. I remember drinking a whole carton of orange juice &_still couldn't quench my thirst. Typical symptoms, weight loss, sickness, loss of appetite, increased urination.

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was 6,diagnosed in 1976.Things were very different back then,a lot easier to be diagnosed now i would imagine.Attitudes are different also.I was tortured as a child and have had a chip on my shoulder ever since.I hate people knowing,never test in view of people and would die rather than inject in front of any but a handful of people.I hope children wouldnt get bullied these days just for having diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Simon_Soanes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed in 1971 glass syringes surgical spirit on injection sites you had to hammer the needle in . Clinitest urine tests to work out what your sugars were . The thought then was keep sugar high and never have a hypo which I didn't but I had lazer on my eyes , heart attack , heart triple bypass , vascular disease , toes amputated and lastly a below knee amputation . The morel of this tale is keep an eye on those sugars because there's a price to pay . Diabetes is one ***** of a disease .

Reactions: 5 people

Joyous

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 13 that was 44 years ago this year. Nobody else in my immediate family have it but a few years ago my cousins daughter was diagnosed type 1
I too remember glass syringes n surgical spirit ect ect I have had catteracts in both eyes done and now have implants in them.
Yes you do have to work at it if you want a good healthy life .......like everything else
My blood sugars in the past 3 years or so are now good due to losing weight and giving up on some unhealthy choices. I could go on and on about my life and dealing with it as everything hasn't been a bed of roses BUT you really do have to work at it and really look after yourself and you CAN lead a so called "normal" life or as near as possible, I have always considered my diabetes as an inconvenience more than a long term illness and that is still the same.;):):p:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Lmm19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, haven't been on for a while.
I was diagnosed type 1 aged 4 in 1978, so 38 years ago. I too remember the glass syringes and huge needles and borrowing a bg meter from the doctor for a week once a year! (Really hated that week too).

Reactions: 2 people